Lever Gun for Hog Hunting.......

So I have the opportunity to go hog hunting this spring in Oklahoma. I was wondering your thoughts on a lever action rifle with a scout scope mounted up front for hogs. 30-150 yards. I have been looking at 30-30's, 45LC, 45-70, and 44 Mag. What do you think would be the best choice? I have found some pretty good deals on marlin 30-30's. Mostly under $300.

Since I like my hogs "up close and personal" (no bar jokes please), I use Rossi Lever action in .44 Mag and at times a .357 Mag. Most everytime I go up and check my property on the 4 wheeler, one of these is always on the bike. .35 remington is a good choice and so is .45/70 if you're into self mutilization!

My favorite though is my .357 Mag

I don’t hunt, but if I was hunting big hogs, a 45-70 lever would be my second choice.

My .308 Panther would be my first choice for anything that could attack me; man or beast. :)

Yeah. I don't hunt either, but will probably start back, My choice would be my .458 SOCOM. Nothing wrong with throwing a 300 to 500 grain pill at them. The good thing about an AR... you're not counting on one round of anything.

Yeah. I don't hunt either, but will probably start back, My choice would be my .458 SOCOM. Nothing wrong with throwing a 300 to 500 grain pill at them. The good thing about an AR... you're not counting on one round of anything.

Did I mention I LOVE hunting with my Flintlock Rifle?

1) You're NOT going to be attacked by a pig. Ever.

2) They're really NOT the armored killing machines the TV makes them out to be & they're no harder to kill than a deer.

3) Anything much bigger than a .22 will kill a pig. (Actually, in Texas, more hogs are killed with .22s than any other caliber) Any pistol/rifle caliber carbine will do.

4)The good thing about pigs is that you don't ever need to shoot beyond 40yds. If I can kill them with an Osage bow, wooden arrow & knapped, flint point at 10yds, you can stalk them to 40. Getting close is no problem & 99% of the fun. Ignore their eyes, but beware their ears & nose.

The problem is that folks don't realise that a hog's anatomy is totally different from most American game & therefore shoot them waaaay too far back. Keep your shots

low & tight to the shoulder & you'll be fine.

• Like 1

We killed a bunch of hogs a few years ago with my AR15 223. Dropped every one of them. A guy owned them and most if not all are wild because he just lets them multiply and doesn't care about them or his property. We told him if they got on our cow pastures they would be killed. He agreed so we kill everyone we see in the pasture. These hogs will attack you and your vehicle, they are very mean. Not all of them but the bigger ones are just nasty mean. They have hurt several cows and dug up the pasture. The biggest one weighed around 400 pounds. They are nasty buggers. They have deformities especially around the face area and he feeds them fish remains he gets from somewhere. We cut one open and I swear it smelled just like fish It was nasty. We have reported him but nothing has been done. He got a big fine years back for trying to sell the nasty things. It helps to have a big gun but like I said we shot them with my 223 AR15. Most of the shots were behind the neck and ear area.

KahrMan... What kind of scope is that. That weapon is sweet, just how I want to set mine up. Is that the A/O scout rail?

That is the XS Lever Scout Mount. It is about half way down on this page:

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

The scope is a Leupold 2x. I forgot what model it is. It will check and report back.

I really like this set up. It is very quick for target acquisition.

You know you can chase 'em down and take them with a survival knife. :pleased: Just wear a cup.

I was actually going to post that I have a cousin (on the paternal side of the family) in Georgia who apparently hunts wild hogs with dogs and a knife. From what some of my uncles tell me, his dogs corner the hog and he comes from behind and slits its throat. Yes, there is a strong 'crazy' gene on my dad's side of the family. I guess I got a bit of it, myself, but not nearly as much as many of my male (or female, for that matter) relatives.

Edited by JAB