Latest on "Parking lot gun bill would apply to public sector" WSMV News

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

http://www.wsmv.com/...o-public-sector

By ERIK SCHELZIG

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Lawmakers have tried before to guarantee that workers can keep firearms in their cars at work. A new twist to this year's attempt is that it would affect both the public and private sector, meaning it would apply to everyone from college faculty to airport workers.

The measure sponsored by Republican Sen. Mike Faulk of Kingsport and Democratic Rep. Eddie Bass of Prospect is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. Neither lawmaker returned phone messages seeking comment on Friday.

In the past, Republican Gov. Bill Haslam has voiced support for requiring businesses to allow guns in parking lots. But spokesman David Smith said in an email that the administration has "concerns with the breadth" of the latest version.

While the legislative website describes the measure as applying to "individuals licensed to carry," the bill itself makes no reference to state-issued handgun carry permits, meaning it could apply to any gun owner in the state.

Supporters of the guns in parking lots measure include the Tennessee Firearms Association, which has urged its members to lean on lawmakers not to allow the "employee safe commute" bill to be pushed aside.

Previous attempts to allow guns on college campuses have drawn heavy resistance from the state's higher education system, while the guns in parking lots measure has been vehemently opposed by business interests.

"I find it hard to understand how people who are strong supporters of the Second Amendment can so easily throw away the property rights of every other individual," said Deb Woolley, president of the Tennessee Chamber of Commerce.

"This is about taking away your right and my right as a property owner to say you can't bring a gun on my property," she said.

That message appears to resonate with Republican leaders in the House, who would prefer punt the issue until after the elections this fall.

"It's not a priority for me this session," said House Speaker Beth Harwell, R-Nashville. "As we've said all along, our priority is to ensure that we're the most business-friendly state in this union."

House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick, R-Chattanooga, noted that the House sponsor of the bill is a Democrat, and suggested that the bill may be a ploy to try to get Republicans to vote against a gun rights bill in an election year.

"If the Democrats in the House want to push this issue, we'll deal with it and vote on it," he said.

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Turner of Nashville said he opposes the bill, and laughed off the implication that Bass' bill is meant to embarrass Republicans.

"If he's doing it for that reason, I'm for it," Turner said. "But I'm not sure that's why he's doing it."

Turner said his caucus has yet to take a position on the measure, but that many of his colleagues share his concerns.

"We're not anti-gun or anything, but we just don't think people should have a right to keep them in parking lots," he said. "We're a little concerned about people shooting co-workers."

Woolley, the chamber president, called the proposal "of those issues that's a solution without a problem right now," because people with handgun carry permits can already bring their weapons anywhere that hasn't specifically been posted with a gun ban.

Besides, Woolley said, she doesn't know of any business in the state that makes it "a condition of your employment where you have to park your car."

Leader McCormick seems to singing off a different sheet of music than from earlier in the year when he trotted this statement out:

“This Task Force will study ways we can protect the Second Amendment rights of Tennesseans and will make recommendations to our Majority about good public policy we all can support,†said Majority Leader Gerald McCormick said in a statement announcing the move. “I think this is a worthwhile effort to streamline the process and build consensus within the General Assembly.â€

I can tell you this. I have been in Nashville on MULTIPLE occasions in the House Judiciary Committee and Sub-committee meetings. I can tell you that Eddie Bass has always been in our corner. I would oppose anybody's notion that he is on an agenda to embarass the Republicans. But hey, if the Republicans don't want to be embarassed, then they need to get on board and I will tell any of them that. I am getting pretty tired of this football being kicked around. The Republicans courted us to get elected, now they are in, they have not helped us. I am personally ready to vote them OUT. The representative from my district is a Democrat and he has committed to supporting this bill. As far as I am concerned, HE WILL GET MY VOTE next fall and I will tell the Republican leadership that to their face.

The Republicans have USED us and it is time to send a clear message. Everything I have heard for the last three years is that they are worried about loosing the support of big business so they are bowing to the wishes of big business and big money. The sponsor of the best bill for the last three years flat out told me that the first year he sponsored the bill that he was told by the House Republican leadership to NOT push the bill because the big business lobby said they would pull their support and they would loose the majority that they had won for the first time since reconstruction. So guess what, he gave in. The NEXT session he sponsored a good bill and AGAIN he watered down the bill after the leadership, (Harwell, Dennis, Rich) pressured him to gut the bill making it totally worthless. They sold out.

Sorry for the rant and I have no doubt that some members of The General Assembly may read this and not like it. But, OH WELL, if the shoe fits, WEAR IT! All I can ask is, just whose pocket are you in? It is obvious from the last three years that big business and big money can buy politicians. Like Will Rogers once said, "We have the best politicians money can buy".

If you can't tell, I am just a bit MAD

Edited by Sky King
Guest bkelm18

I can tell you this. I have been in Nashville on MULTIPLE occasions in the House Judiciary Committee and Sub-committee meetings. I can tell you that Eddie Bass has always been in our corner. I would oppose anybody's notion that he is on an agenda to embarass the Republicans. But hey, if the Republicans don't want to be embarassed, then they need to get on board and I will tell any of them that. I am getting pretty tired of this football being kicked around. The Republicans courted us to get elected, now they are in, they have not helped us. I am personally ready to vote them OUT. The representative from my district is a Democrat and he has committed to supporting this bill. As far as I am concerned, HE WILL GET MY VOTE next fall and I will tell the Republican leadership that to their face.

The Republicans have USED us and it is time to send a clear message. Everything I have heard for the last three years is that they are worried about loosing the support of big business so they are bowing to the wishes of big business and big money. The sponsor of the best bill for the last three years flat out told me that the first year he sponsored the bill that he was told by the House Republican leadership to NOT push the bill because the big business lobby said they would pull their support and they would loose the majority that they had won for the first time since reconstruction. So guess what, he gave in. The NEXT session he sponsored a good bill and AGAIN he watered down the bill after the leadership, (Harwell, Dennis, Rich) pressured him to gut the bill making it totally worthless. They sold out.

Sorry for the rant and I have no doubt that some members of The General Assembly may read this and not like it. But, OH WELL, if the shoe fits, WEAR IT! All I can ask is, just whose pocket are you in? It is obvious from the last three years that big business and big money can buy politicians. Like Will Rogers once said, "We have the best politicians money can buy".

If you can't tell, I am just a bit MAD

I wouldn't say they have been using us. When they were elected and took control, we had sweeping firearms legislation reform. Carry in parks, carry in bars, etc. Granted we have a long way to go, but expecting them to be really anything other than just another political group with an agenda is pretty silly. Politics is politics. It's never going to go the way we want.

well about 6-7 years ago i watched a crazed lady pull up in the parking lot of a cool springs office building and shoot a lady at point blank range then drive off to the back of the parking lot and end herself.

point is, people with bad intentions are going to get you. more than likely if they sneak up on you there is not much you can do other than hope the good Lord is looking out for you. But if you have a chance, it would be nice to be able to defend yourself.

well about 6-7 years ago i watched a crazed lady pull up in the parking lot of a cool springs office building and shoot a lady at point blank range then drive off to the back of the parking lot and end herself.

point is, people with bad intentions are going to get you. more than likely if they sneak up on you there is not much you can do other than hope the good Lord is looking out for you. But if you have a chance, it would be nice to be able to defend yourself.

Well, not sure what to say here but I would have to ask if the lady was a permit holder and then I am going to say that a person with an agenda that ends with them offing themselfs or committing suiside by cop, you are not going to stop.

I'd be willing to say there was not a permit holder involved here.

I wouldn't say they have been using us. When they were elected and took control, we had sweeping firearms legislation reform. Carry in parks, carry in bars, etc. Granted we have a long way to go, but expecting them to be really anything other than just another political group with an agenda is pretty silly. Politics is politics. It's never going to go the way we want.

I don't know what else you would call it, using is using. We had some of our best bills passed with the House was controlled by the Democrats and Jimmy Naifeah. The Republicans courted us and then stabbed us in the back. They want to say they are our best friends but since they have gained control we have become the red headed step child. Many of the best bills have been introduced and championed by Democrats. Ben West was probably the best friend we EVER had in the House and he was a Democrat. I could only WISH he was still active. I sat in his office in Nashville, I was in AWE of his carpet. It was HUGE area rug with an enourmous NRA logo in the middle.

Edited by Sky King

If either party isn't playing ball with us, then I'm all for sending them a message. Maybe Mr. McCormick or Ms. Harwell doesn't need their positions at the end of November. A vote the other way for Pro-Gun Reps, regardless of party seems to be in order here.

Seems to me that there are Republicans in the Senate that are for the NRA sponsored bill, the push back against it comes from the House.

The House sponsor Eddie Bass is one of the most Conservative of all the members in our Legislature, regardless of what letter is behind his name.