Need honest thoughts on SIG p238 and other pocket rockets

Guest pfries

I now have a need for a true pocket pistol; I am not fond of revolvers for daily carry. I have spent a number of hours on line and today visited a few local shops. The only one I have held that felt like I was holding a gun in my hand was he P238.

I admittedly do not have much experience with "mouse guns" and really do not want to add another caliber to my collection but alas necessity rules. I need some honest input with the drawbacks, as I may not have the time to find and shoot many options before I feel I need to make the commitment. For the record I am still conditioned to sweep my thumb to disengage a manual safety as my carry piece of many years had one so that does not bother me.

Thanks in advance

Pat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI I just got home and have to be back at 0530 so will not check back in after my beer till tommorrow. :pleased:

Edited by pfries

My mom and sister both have the Sig P238 as their carry gun... as far as .380s go, it's the Cadillac! Not sure that it's the best overall carry choice for you, as I don't know everything about you, but if you want a single stack .380 in a 1911 style, you can't go wrong with it... I myself prefer a subcompact Glock for carry, because for not much more size and weight, you can carry a lot more fire power ;-) So it really just depends on what you need... if a .380 fits your needs, then buy the Sig P238!

Sig is also introducing a 9mm version of their P238, the P938. It is only slightly larger but packs a lot more firepower into a small package.

I have shot a P238 some and really like the gun. It is accurate and the recoil wasn't bad at all. One thing I do like is they are easy to rack and another is they can be racked with the thumb safety engaged. The only problem was the first magazine because the gun was dry. Once lubed up it ran like a champ.

Dolomite

Guest bluemarlin

They had production issues early on. Mine is one of the earlier ones. I could only shoot about 10 or 12 rounds before I would experience FTF or FTE. They have redesigned their mags at least twice since the original. Recoil springs were another issue I had to deal with. Honestly, nothing seemed to make my gun reliable enough for me to carry it until I polished the feed ramp and now it runs like a charm with gen 2 and gen 3 mags. Go to sigforums.com or youtube for more info. Apparently, Sig has fixed all of the troubling issues with their newer ones and the P 238 is now their best selling gun. It is very accurate and now a pleasure to shoot. Also, on my rosewood version, the grip panel screws would loosen during the first 25 rounds. I applied some blue loctite to the screws and that issue is resolved as well. Overall, even after all of my trials and tribulations with the gun it is now one of my favorites. Hope this helps.

How much do you have/want to spend? Most of what you need to know is here... http://mouseguns.com/

At the high end... the P238 & PM9 are perennial favorites. Excellent fit, finish, function, all metal, etc.

More modestly priced... the CM9, PF9, LCP, P3AT (what I have), and TCP. Not quite so pretty (particuarly the Keltecs), but just as functional. Most all have polymer frames.

Drawbacks... None of them are particularly fun to shoot. Some are sensitive to limp wristing. Recoil/muzzle blast is more than some people like. I put a hogue slip-on grip on mine and painted the sights (such as they are) white which helped considerably.

The 238 is excellent, overall. The light trigger pull and reduced recoil (It simply seems lower than most other similar 380s) make it easy to shoot rapidly and accurately. The safety has a positive lock with a ball bearing with a spring slipping into an indentation type design -- it does not come off in your pocket under any normal use. I can hit a 2 inch target at 10 yards easily, and empty the gun rapidly will stay in a pie plate and rapid for this gun means less than 10 seconds to empty. Mine has some 500+ trouble free rounds through it, probably closer to 1000 now, I do not track it but have a general idea of how many boxes I have reloaded and what is left in the stash.

Gotta give you some "cons", but they are not many. It costs a lot more than its peers. Like, double. Watch out for a used/older gun, you may have to replace the mags & recoil springs on those (you can google for the differences and how to spot them). The mag release (esp on my heavily used gun) is a bit light so if you bump it (hard) you can drop the mag while in your pocket, just be aware of it. A new gun probably takes a much, much harder hit.

I have 2, as my wife took mine on day 1 so I had to get another. The first one had a slight issue: the slide stop was slightly too big and sometimes bullets inside the mag would hit it, lock it open with rounds left. Gunsmith fixed it for me; I think sig would have as well but I did not care to mail it back. I have not heard of this being a common problem.

I cannot recommend this gun enough, however I personally would, in your situation, strongly consider the 9mm model that is coming out this year instead.

The P-238 is like a mini-1911. They are quality pistols but I prefer a pistol you can crab and shoot. The Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec 3AT, Kahr P380, Diamondback DB380. These pistols are DAO with no hammer and no safety, just like a wheel gun. You grab, point and shoot. So simple you can do it under stress.

Since no one else has said it, I will. I believe .22,.25,.32, and .380 to be anemic self-defense rounds. I prefer to stick with .38/9mm and above.

If I were looking for a pocket semi-auto, I would be looking at a Kel Tec PF9 or a Kahr PM9/CM9/PM45.

Just my opinion; doesn't have to be yours.

Thanks for the input so far, I would like to stay with 9mm but discretion is going to be key and I am not a large guy.

Do we know when the P938 is due out? I realy hate to be unarmed but may have to sacrifice for a short time at work.

DaddyO I looked at the PM9 still a bit large in the pocket of my pants (30"x36") but may have to go there.

The thumb saftey does not bother me, the long DAO triggers do, I looked at the Nano (talk aboput a block) and the trigger did not feel nice and had to be fully released to reset, big turn off for me.

Ditto on what's been said.

This is a fun gun to shoot and if you have no problem flipping the safety off on a cocked and locked pistol you'll luv the P238.

Trigger pull is sweet, short and smooth. Concealing is easy but I would use a holster rather than pocket carry, I don't think the safety is lite enough to be clicked off in your pocket but I wouldn't risk it. Many fine comfortable holsters out there. I you get a IWB make sure the leather covers the gun where it's next to your body.

Mine did have a weak recoil spring and did not like Tula, Wolf, and Russian Bear ammo, may have been a combination of both but I've since decided to use USA made ammo only in all my weapons. My recoil spring was replaced by Sig without a hitch and I experienced very nice customer service. They recommended "quality name brand" ammo only in there pistol as well. I have over a 1000 rnds in mine and have had no problems since the two changes.

The recoil spring needs to be a "flat wound" spring BTW.

Good luck.

HolsterPro holster

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Who carries a cocked-and-locked P238 in a pocket? How do you like it?

I carry one CnL'd in my pocket every day for over a month now. I work in a fairly gun friendly office but CONCEALED means CONCEALED. A 1911 IWB with a tucked shirt was just very uncomfortable on me. I've carried a 38 snubby on my ankle for years as a BUG, but got made by some libtard old biddy here at the office. So now no ankle gun. I tried pocket carrying my snubby but it printed and was a bit uncomfortable.

I bought the P238 and LOVE this thing. What surprises me is how accurate the thing is and no recoil, especially compared to other 380s. I some times get carried away at the range and will blow thru 200 rnds before making myself stop. I don't even know the thing is in my pocket.

I bought 200 rnds of factory ammo just for the brass and it never hiccup'd a bit. I've been loading JHP as hot as I can safely get them and it's scary accurate up to 25' less than 3" grouping. No, it's not my 45acp and it has to stay in the truck during the day, but this 380 beats a sharp stick and I can have it on me no matter what I'm wearing.

Brad

I just got back from Volunteer looking at several of these little guns like the P238, S&W Bodyguard, and the Ruger LCP while out of the price range I was looking at, that P238 feels amazing in your hand. My biggest problem is the more I get used to my SP2340 not having a manual safety and instead a decocker would I, in an emergency situation, remember to flip the safety on this gun. I'd need to spend some time training and getting used to it if I did get it. I'm also interested in the P938 though, just a little bigger and in 9mm.

Who carries a cocked-and-locked P238 in a pocket? How do you like it?

I do, I would guess most of the people who said they carry one carry it that way. Over a year now, safety has never slipped off in my pocket. It is so small I have it in a holster behind my wallet. I like it a lot, as I said earlier, it is best in class for small carry guns IMHO. That is said with a very strong bias against DAO designs, so keep that in mind for my commentary --- a long heavy pull puts the gun way down on my list (though I did break down & get a nano, which I probably should not have).

Thanks for the input so far, I would like to stay with 9mm but discretion is going to be key and I am not a large guy.

Do we know when the P938 is due out? I realy hate to be unarmed but may have to sacrifice for a short time at work.

DaddyO I looked at the PM9 still a bit large in the pocket of my pants (30"x36") but may have to go there.

The thumb saftey does not bother me, the long DAO triggers do, I looked at the Nano (talk aboput a block) and the trigger did not feel nice and had to be fully released to reset, big turn off for me.

Our gun store said they should have a few 938s by the end of march. The nano trigger is effectively a DAO though it is supposedly a striker fired. If you dislike a long DAO type trigger, the 238 or 938 or one of the micro kimbers or paras are about the only options. And the kimbers are a bit large, the smallest para is hard to find and they have moved that toward a LDA (dao under a new name). The STI rogue would be nice, but those are long gone and not coming back.

Guest RobThatsMe

I must say, I really like my P238! It goes everywhere with me.

It feels great in the hand, shoots real accurately, and it has great night sights.

It fits in either my front, or rear pocket, and even in the inside pocket of my sportcoat, if I wear one.

You can even purchase the wallet holster that Sig makes for this gun directly from Sig for about $20.

I carry it with the safety on, and one in the chamber.

I have never had an issue with it, I always carry it "In the holster".

I think my wife may be taking this one over soon, and if that happens, then I am really going to look into their new 9mm version coming out in March.

It's the P938, almost the exact same size as the P238.

Here is the Sig site with pictures and the comparison chart between the P938 and P238.

http://www.sigsauerg...sig-sauer-p938/

Rob

Edited by RobThatsMe
Guest infinity40

I love this gun! I was looking at pocket pistols the other day. I have a PA-93 I intended to carry in a Fobus OWB holster but since I have 10000 plus rounds through 1911 style guns (IPSC, IDPA), I found I still have issues manipulating the controls of the F.E.G. in drills.

I saw these at a local gun store. If you are used to a 1911 and it's close cousins and are in need of a pocket gun, look at these. It may fill the bill.

Edited by infinity40

I also Carry my 238 in condition 1.

I use a desantis pocket holster and never have had an issue with the safety. It requires a firm amount of force to disengage.

I love this pistol.

Only Complaint is in dress pants it will print more easily than a poly gun like an LCP for example.

Isn't the cocked hammer a snag point on the draw?

No. the beavertail of the gun protects it --- the gun cocked is no different than uncocked as the beaver-tail would snag the same as the hammer, in other words. The hammer is not a revolver hook style, and cocked adds I would say 1/4 inch thickness to the business side of the beavertail area, and it does not extend in any way that could be more snaggy. The sights are more of a snag issue than the hammer, assuming you carry it hammer up in a holster in a pocket. The inside (striker surface) of the hammer is perfectly smooth & flat.

Only Complaint is in dress pants it will print more easily than a poly gun like an LCP for example.

I don't get that comment. It is almost the same size (give or take a few milimeters) but the poly framed guns are not soft or something, they all print the same and they all eat about the same space in all 3 dimensions. The sig is heavier, I think, that may make a difference to use of a belt or whatever, but does not directly make it print any worse.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Sgt. Joe

I cant add anything that has not already been said other than I also love my P238. That is also coming from a huge Ruger fan. I feel that the Lil' Sig is well worth the extra money for it over the LCP. Accuracy is great and it feels about like shooting a .22.

I am also interested in the P938 but was kinda shocked to see Sig's MSRP for it....YIKES, but then I noticed that all of their MSRP's had gone up since I last visited the site.

Also a free plug for East_TN_Patriot.....He made me an excellent holster and a double mag pouch for my Lil' Sig for a very reasonable price. He does very good work and I am awaiting another holster from him for my SR9. If anyone cares to wait a few weeks for custom work his is well worth the wait, IMHO as always.

I can whole heartedly recommend the P238 with a couple of "buts" . . .

I prefer to carry more firepower if I'm dressed properly. Such as: Kahr PM9 or Kimber 45 Ultra Carry ll

When I'm dressed in cutoffs, shorts & T shirts etc. I'll stash the P238. Put some good Critical Defense ammo

in it and you've got decent firepower in a 380. The Glock 26 or 27 is a nice carry tool too. For you Lefty's out

there a Ruger SR9c is a nice choice as it has ambi safety and mag release and will eat pretty much any ammo

you feed it. I'm sure there are some favorite pocket 380's out there but I think the Sig P238 is the best for me.

Well my hands on play has lead me toward the P238, I talked with my local guy and he has a few of the P938 sas on order. I told him I would swing by Monday and drop a deposit to hold one for me to check out and that if I did not go with the P938 after molesting it a bit I would be putting toward a P238 he laughed at me but said OK.

From what I have been able to find it looks like all the accesories for the 238 (holsters laser ect.) fit the 938 at least according to SIG.

Thank you for all the input

Pat

I just bought a P238. I took it to the range the same day and put 100 flawless rounds thru it. I absolutely love this gun. I also have a Keltec P3AT and a PF9. The Sig has less felt recoil and just feels more solid to me. I still like my keltecs and don't plan on getting rid of them, but I prefer the sig. The night sights on this gun rock, the slide locks open on an empty mag and the slide is smooth. My wife was with me when I got it and went to the range with me. She really likes this gun too... so, I guess I bought a 238 and lost it all in the same day. BTW, Academy has one for $449 (with night sights)!!!

My new toy...

2012-01-30_12-15-17_626.jpg

A little bigger than my Keltec but not enough to matter...

2012-01-30_16-33-08_768.jpg

Edited by Batman