Walmart Ammo Can 223

Seen a green ammo can with Federal 223 ammo in it at Walmart today. It was 420 rounds for a big 159$ plus tax. A bit high but good to see this at walmart.

I saw it yesterday at the Walmart near East Town Mall. Unfortunately, none of the other Walmarts have it. Definitely a bit high considering you can just buy 21 packs of the Federal American Eagle 20 round boxes for $125.37 before taxes. It would come to $139.07 out the door for that which is still $20 cheaper than the can :D. At least for target ammo.

The only thing I couldn't see from the extremely large counter that was so far away from the shelves was whether it was 223 or 5.56.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest Lester Weevils

Would the green tip presumably be "military grade" and perhaps a little hotter or "better" than some of the .223 practice ammo?

Just curious. Last time was buying the 100 rd Federal value paks at wally world, think they were selling for maybe $39 or $40. When I was stocking up on .223, that seemed about as good a price I could find on brass cased factory ammo, considering mail-order shipping and such. Maybe wasn't looking the right place or maybe prices have dropped a little.

The Federal 100 rd value pak shoots fine but I got the impression if might be slightly underpowered. Dunno. 400 rds (four boxes) of value pak would cost about $160 + tax?

Edited by Lester Weevils

62 Grain penetrators -- save it for a rainy day. Or for Zombies. Green tip and all.

When the rioters Zombies are burning down houses at the other end of the subdivision, this stuff will help keep the rioters Zombies 100 yards away.

You never know when the Zombies will appear, but I'm expecting them well before November.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

The green tip is 5.56 NATO (not .223) steel-core penetrator.

Thanks, will keep an eye out for it at the local zoo wally world.

My guns are marked 5.56/.223 so its no problemo.

Another dumb question-- I got a million of em-- Thought I read somewhere that steel-core isn't usually sold thru retail channels nowadays? What's the scoop on that?

Edited by Lester Weevils

I've been watching various Knoxville area wally worlds for this since Dolomite mentioned seeing a box at the Clinton store.

Haven't seen it yet. Guess it goes pretty quick when they get it in. In which case, I would think they would start stocking more.

Another dumb question-- I got a million of em-- Thought I read somewhere that steel-core isn't usually sold thru retail channels nowadays? What's the scoop on that?

Academy and Goose Mountain both sell it. According to the comical Goose Mountain sale catalog I got in the mail the other day it's in sale for $149.99 there through the 19th...after $30 mail in rebate. :wacko:

Edited by Garufa

Nah, most all the Russian stuff is steel core, including the Tula from Wally's.

You're probably thinking "armor piercing"; just being steel core doesn't make it that. The Federal green tip penetrator ain't either, although I believe at one time the DOD classified it as such.

- OS

You're probably thinking "armor piercing"; just being steel core doesn't make it that. The Federal green tip penetrator ain't either, although I believe at one time the DOD classified it as such.

- OS

Yeah, but it will ruin steel plates if they are 3/8 inch or less.

Actually, most of the Russian .223 is bi-metal jacket. Lead core with a steel jacket coated in copper.

"Steel core" has steel underneath the jacket but is not solid steel. It usually encases some lead.

True armor piercing ammo has a solid steel core.

• Like 1

Actually, most of the Russian .223 is bi-metal jacket. Lead core with a steel jacket coated in copper.

"Steel core" has steel underneath the jacket but is not solid steel. It usually encases some lead.

True armor piercing ammo has a solid steel core.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. Right. :)

- OS