lost a good friend last night

reed1285

Well I've reached one of those points in my life that we all unfortunately have to go through, I lost my best highschool friend last night. He drowned in while saving a boy from a car that rolled into the river in Bridgeport, Al. He saved the little boys life, while giving up his own. That's why I'm posting this up here because I think he deserves recognition in making the ultimate sacrifice, for being a hero to the boys family.

We were inseparable for 99% of our jr high/high school years. And just like almost everybody else, after high school we kinda grew apart. The last time I saw him was on my birthday December 24th. He leaves behind two sons of his own, ages 2 and 4.

R.I.P Christopher Mathew Heaton. You will be missed

• Like 1
Guest cardcutter

" No greater gift can a man give than to lay down his life for another"

Your friend sounds like a ttrulywonderful man.

The world will be a lessor place for his passing.

I am sorry for your loss.

JImJim

I've been looking at the news reports of this and can't find any mention of a child. The reports all say he was trying to save his girlfriend, but that she had already swam to shore. Maybe I just missed the child being mentioned. I am sorry for your loss.

http://www.whnt.com/news/sandmountain/whnt-man-dies-as-he-tries-to-save-girlfriend-from-drowning-20120208,0,4150868.story

http://www.newschannel9.com/articles/river-1008859-woman-save.html

It is sad and I am so sorry, but that's also (I say this respectfully) awesome. You should be proud to call a man like that your friend, and I'm sure you are. He did what a real man is supposed to do. I'm afraid real men are in seriously short supply nowadays. I never knew him and I'm proud of him myself. No words can bring any relief I know, but it should likewise make you proud of him, for a Martyrs Crown is a great reward. One that Jesus Christ respects and knows first hand. Like Cardcutter said there's no greater love for another than to sacrifice your life for theirs. I pray peace for you Reed, and good nights sleep.

Edited by Caster

Thank you all for your kind words.

I have to clear things up. The guy above that posted about the news reports not mentioning a child is correct. Somehow, somebody mentioned a child being involved when it appears there was not. I have absolutely no clue how a child got brought up in this devastating event. He lost his life saving his girlfriend, NOT a child.

Again, thank you all

He drowned in while saving a boy from a car that rolled into the river in Bridgeport, Al. He saved the little boys life, while giving up his own.

The guy above that posted about the news reports not mentioning a child is correct. Somehow, somebody mentioned a child being involved when it appears there was not. I have absolutely no clue how a child got brought up in this devastating event. He lost his life saving his girlfriend, NOT a child.

It seems you said it in your first post.

I am sorry for your loss.

I belive Caster hit the nail on the head.

A few true heros can make a world of difference to the lives they touch.

May The powers that preside bring peace to him and his, may they find peace where he had strength, and may they realize his actions will be rewarded and not forgotten.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/feb/10/jasper-drowning-victim-christopher-heaton-was-cari/

Says in the article that he may have believed his girlfriend's kid(s) were in the vehicle, as there was a car seat strapped in at the time. The girlfried was able to make it to shore with the assistance of others, but perhaps it wasn't communicated in time to this brave man. The current was sweeping the vehicle away as he dove in. Apparently her kids were not with her at the time.