AR build noob...Where to begin

Guest Baddawg865

Guest Baddawg865

Well guys, first off it's great being back on TGO. I got away from gun boards for a bit, but now i have the itch again.

I know there are probably 100's of threads out there about building an AR. But everyone i looked at kinda got me confused. I guess i read into the thread to much. So here is my question. Where do i need to begin with my build? I have never messed with black guns before, but have always wanted to. You guys showing off your AR's have got me wanting to build about 5 different ones. But lets start slow please.......I know guns. So I'm not totally stupid. Would just like to know what process you guys take. I say there are many different ways. All help would be greatful. Thanks guys!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Baddawg865

What are you into? Maybe post a pic of a couple of rifles that look near to what you want and then we can talk about how to get there.

Good question. I would like to start out basic. Just something i could build to get my foot in the door. I dont want to go all out on my first build. For instance, what was your guys first build?

I actually built a few for family and friends before I built my own. Mostly because they had specific things they wanted and didn't want to screw it up (like special barrels/free floating rails/after market triggers). I modeled my first one for myself after my work gun (I was in the military at the time) and made an exact replica. If I didn't have that plan in mind I probably woulda just bought one outright.

My next one after that was a Viet Nam era commando replica. I came by some old parts and a completely slick Colt upper and couldn't resist. Minus the barrel (it's just a 16 in commando replica barrel) it looks pretty good... aluminum stock and all.

My latest build was inspired by the sheer amount of extra parts and peices I had; I pretty much needed a stripped lower and upper (plus a few springs and a gas tube) and I had myself a brand new rifle... even had a spare free floating rail sitting around. I was going to sell it and use the funds for an MSAR, but decided to give it to my dad as a retirement gift this summer.

I see some pretty sexy rifles tooling around here that guys have. I've toyed around with the idea of making my own safe queen, but I like the "character" of my ugly ARs and don't think I'd care for one with all the cool bells and whistles. I think the military ruins some folks like me who look at their rifle as something that can get beat up a bit at the expense of cosmetics. If I had one of those real nice ones I'm sure I wouldn't treat it the way I'm supposed to anyway.

Any of the ones on the "Evil Black Rifle" thread do anything for you? http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/1143-post-pictures-of-your-evil-black-rifle/

Edited by TMF 18B
Guest Baddawg865

-

DSC02676.jpg

Something along these lines would be great. Dummy it down a tad and thats what i would like to build. And I'm with ya on the dirty AR.

Edited by Baddawg865

you are looking at quite a bit in money from that pic. my gun is almost the same (search for bcm love)

Looks like:

Magpul UBR Stock

Magpul Miad Grip

Midlength Upper

9" Quad Rail (i recommend a 12" Daniel Defense Lite so it fits over the gas block)

AAC 51T Flash Hider (unneeded unless you want to go to a suppressor

TangoDown Stubby Vertical Grip

Magpul XTM Rail Panels

Other ideas for you:

7075-t6 Aluminum mid-length upper and same spec lower (search for a Mega upper/Lower)

You will have to get some parts kit (Go for Colt, Daniel Defense, etc)

Magpul Flip-up BUIS (or a real flip-up iron sight such as troy)

Geissele Super 3 Gun Trigger

Adco Fluted Barrel (really for looks)

TangoDown Scar Panels

Atlas Bipod

DSC00029.jpg

Mine is complicated...

Edited by alwaysonjohn

Yeah, that's a sexy rifle, but definitely pricey... I think that's a Noveske which is up there on the cost range.

So breaking it down between lower and upper receiver.... the upper is gonna be what you put all the cash into.

Lower: Unless you want to put a bunch of custom parts into (such as custom trigger job and such) I'd buy this complete. If you can get a stripped lower (like the PSAs) for the deals that are occassionally run on them then pick one up and build on it. If you get a regular priced stripped lower it costs about as much to build it as it would be for a complete lower. When you get a parts kit it is usually complete (minus buffer tube/stock). If you get a complete lower you can just buy an after market stock and pistol grip and remove the ones that come on the lower. The stock pictured above is pricey, but you can get the MOE ones (which do look nice) for not much. All in all, you can do the lower for about 300 bucks if you buy one complete and then add the sexy pistol grip/stock afterward. If you are set on building your lower then get a stripped, buy a compatible parts kit without the buffer tube/stock, and buy the buffer tube/stock separate.

Upper:

I recommend getting an upper receiver that is the same manufacture as the lower. Sometimes the upper and lower don't match on the finish, so it makes the rifle look funky. If you do get an upper from a different company than the lower just make sure they match first. There should be plenty of folks here that can advise on compatible companies.

Once you have your stripped upper you'll need the charging handle, bolt carrier group, gas tube, gas block, barrel, flash suppressor/brake and rail system... and sights of course.

I'm assuming you're going for the low pro gas block look (no front sight post) with a rail that extends past the gas block. For this you'll want a 9 inch free floating rail system. That's going to run a bit on cash, but there are lower end rails that won't break the bank. Here are a couple to get an idea.

http://dsgarms.com/P...Info/MI-T9.aspx http://www.rooktacti...-product-search

For the barrel you'll have to make a choice on how long. The standard is a 16 inch, that way you can switch flash suppressors at will and have access to remove the gas block. The one pictured above looks like a 14.5 inch with the suppressor permanently attached. For barrels less than 16 inches the muzzle device must be permanently attached to make the overall barrel lenth 16 inches (legal), so the muzzle device must be 1.5 inches long. If you decide to do this you can take the barrel to a gunsmith and have it attached; just be sure to have the gas block put on first. A lot of folks advise against this because it limits your options later, but if you think you'll like this as a permanent set up than go ahead and do it. I did and I'm very happy with my choice. If you don't want to do that, go ahead and get a 16 inch barrel and you can do all the rest without a gunsmith; your rifle will just end up being a little longer is all.

Also with the barrel you're gonna want to chose the profile and twist and whether or not you want .223 or 5.56. Basic "M4" profile looks nice, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. The twist will depend on what you're gonna be feeding the rifle. Dolomite has a PHd in that category, but from what I take from it 1:7 is for heavier rounds (62 and up) and 1:9 is for the lighter ones (62 and below). If you get a 5.56 barrel you can shoot both 5.56 and .223. If you get a .223 barrel you can only shoot .223.

For the other nitnoid parts I usually go with Yankee Hill. I've done several builds using their products and haven't had a problem. They tend to be cheaper and the quality is great.

One of the things I do when I'm doing a build for someone is visit the websites of distributors and find all the parts I need. I take screengrabs of the product page and put that into a Powerpoint document, and then use that to determine the cost of the build. I'll give that to the person so they can pick and choose which parts they want that fit their build and their budget. This allows us to know the cost of the build before the first part is ordered. It also gives them a reality check of how much it's going to cost, because the little stuff adds up quick. I did one for a co-worker years ago and he wanted nothing but Daniel Defense stuff on his gun, and it came out costing several hundred more than what he thought it would.

I saw someone post the other day with a build they completed that was similar to the one above and it came out nice. If I can find it I'll post a pic of it here since it's kinda what I'm describing.

Edited by TMF 18B

IMG_00731.jpg

photobucket-5334-1327624453179.jpg

The second one I think is close to what you're getting at. That can be done pretty cheaply (in relative terms). The only thing that needs to change is the stock and grip and you got yourself a damn sexy rifle. Here is the link to the thread where that one is posted. If you're into it I'd PM the OP and get the rundown. The parts he used are actually in the post so you can look online for the best prices. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/43804-new-black-rifle/

Guest Baddawg865

You guys are awesome. Hopefully one day i will be able to help out someone like you guys!! Thanks again. And stay tuned TMF....Im sure I'll need ya!