Finally part of the "Evil" gun club.

Wyldk2

Well, least i am an owner finally. I saw a good deal today on a S&W MP-15 and couldn't pass it up. Also outfitted it with a Barska red dot and magnifier. Now i got to wait till my week off( after this coming week) to go shoot it. I'll post pics soon, right now i'm looking at other outfitting options.

2263188470086076385YXWhwp_th.jpg

Edited by Wyldk2

Yep, it was Gander Mtn( only i bought mine down in Huntsville, Al). Think they have them on sale for right at $649( plus you are supposed to get 3 magazines(clips if you wanna say)I got a total of 3( which is not bad for the money). It's a 223 M&P-15 sport if you want to check it out. Should be in their sales flier on sale until the 20th of Feb.

Barska sight on sale at $99( after Mail-in rebate) before that they retail right at $220, before rebate they are $139.00

Mainly got this set-up for coyote hunting, and i've always wanted an AR, just couldn't find one that didn't cost an arm and leg.

I'll probably keep the Barska. Why would i give it back and get some lower quality optics?

Spent right at $1000 today( gun, sight, ammo). Not bad considering just one gun costs well over that. I'm not going to be shooting every-day and i don't have to have the most expensive to be happy. As long as it works and dosen't cost me a fortune.

Edited by Wyldk2

Take it from someone who has broken objectives off scopes and cooked the guts out of red dots while using them. Buy quality stuff. It hurts more up front, but you don't have to put up with any bull#### on the other end. I hope it holds zero for you.

I would use it until you can save up for an aimpoint.

Mike

Edited by Mike

How many shots have you fired using it?

My guess is none.

I too made the barska mistake. Red dot I got that claimed "could withstand even the largest of calibers" couldn't hold zero on my wimpy AR in 5.56. Gave barska the chance to make it right as well - swapped it out, same issue with the new one. Piss poor design.

To OP- Good luck, maybe you got one that will hold zero, but if you take 5 seconds to look up reviews on barska there are 1 in 5, or maybe 1 in 7 that get a site that will hold zero or doesn't break after a few range trips. The odds aren't in your favor.

Edited by nysos

I am in the optics business and I will not badmouth other brands. However I will say that DangerRanger and the others are correct. Save your money and purchase decent optics. Especially products that you can rely upon. I am also a dedicated coyote hunter and have been so for 20-years. I have had experience with many brands of optics on a variety of firearms. No brand is 100% free of failures but certain brands are noted for failures.

My business partner and I shop the Shot Show every year looking at and evaluating optics that are good quality and reasonably priced. We could sell certain brands and make a hefty profit but we don't want to have to deal with a lot of returns. It's bad for business. Especially in this day and age where poor products or poor customer service can ruin a company's reputation fast.

Haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet, will let you know how the scope holds up when I am able to shoot. Just been working a lot of overtime and letting my ( left hand middle finger heal). Broke the tip the 30th of december. But have time off coming up so i'll shoot it then.

Have a friend in the Optics business as well, I asked him what he thought of Barska, He told me he knows the owners and their product is not low end nor high end. But a good middle-end.

Hope it holds up, But just in case i got the extended warranty thru Gander, if it breaks I'll replace it with something else. Thanks.

Congrats on the rifle. I am a huge fan of the m&p rifles. As far as the optic goes I know nothing of the above brand but I always recommend trijicon acogs. I have one and love it. While deployed I used one and saw one fall off the top of an mrap and hit optic first with rifle attached and bounce. It still held zero and didnt even crack the glass which seems impossible to me. Yes they cost almost a grand but you will never be let down by one. Coyote hunting you might not need one but if you are going to bet your life on an optic trijicon is the way to go. I am not affiliated in any way with them but I have seen first hand their quality.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Congrats on your purchase. However I dont think that you have so much joined a club as you have been exposed to the virus and soon you will have the full blown disease, but dont worry the treatments and cures for such are a blast :);)

Thanks all. Finally was able to post a pic of the new Purchase. I know it has been a week but i've been busy with work and other things. Hoping to be able to go shooting this week( my first week off in a long time). I'll be around Tullahoma so if anyone wants to go shooting, offer any tips etc... let me know. Thinking maybe monday or tuesday, depending on what else is going on.

2263188470086076385YXWhwp_th.jpg

Edited by Wyldk2
  • 7 months later...
Guest robin.kempton

Congrats !!! Bought my Smith and Wesson M&P15 OR (optics ready) and I'll finally get to shoot it once I'm back home from the sand box. But first it gets an EOtech halo sight. You will enjoy having the virus...the meds are too expensive anyway.

Edited by robin.kempton

Dropped the magnifier, but have sighted the Barska red dot to 100 yards accurate. Put maybe 500 rounds thru it with the barska on it and not a problem. ( except for a friend leaving the scope on and draining the batteries) those aren't cheap, but i know where to get batteries on ebay cheap.

Put a Bipod on mine and it's about ready, now for just the look i'm looking for an inexpensive flashlight and mount for the AR.