Ed Brown or Dan Wesson Valor?

Guest Bassman17SC

Guest Bassman17SC

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Tennessee armed intelligentsia, I have a decision to make. As many of you know, I recently traded my Sig 1911 TACOPS for a Sig P220 SSE.

I did that because i thought i wanted to get a full size Ed Brown (either an Executive Elite GIII or Special Forces GIII). After talking a bit with an Ed Brown rep over the telephone, I discovered their 8 month backlog on directly ordering their pistols. Hmph. Furthermore, the G&L fellas say that they have several EB pistols ordered, but when they will receive them - they just do not know. Hmph-harrumph!

So now I am hearing a lot of good things about the Dan Wesson Valor (with the black ceramic coating). I've held one at G&L; it felt great in my hand, but maybe not as heavy as I would like. I could most likely add some weight with a stainless guide rod, I guess?

I am receiving my bonus in just a few weeks, so can I get a little help and opinions, please?

I guess I could order from another FFL who may have an EB 1911, but I would prefer to shop at the LGS. The price difference makes no matter to me. I've kind of been looking at GunsAmerica and Gun Broker, but have never made that type of transaction.

What to do?

Thanks in advance to all who offer their thoughts.icon7.png

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What to do?

Thanks in advance to all who offer their thoughts.icon7.png

Take a look at the Smith & Wesson SW191, Kimber Gold Match II, or the Springfield Trophy Match. Any of the three are probably as accurate as an Ed Brown, at less money, and are better than anything CZ offers. Spend the hundreds you save on range fees and ammo.

leaving.gif

That Valor your looking at is awesome and very nice..but....cheaper than dirt has it for about $150 cheaper! Same one. Personally, check out the Smith SW1911PD. Very nice and about $600 cheaper. I have had about all of them and now I have settled on the Smith and have had zero malfunctions to date even with crap Remington UMC ammo. If you like classic looks, try to find a "GunSite" model, I think the Raven engravings look kool lmao :(

I own both an Ed Brown and the Valor (mine's the matte stainless finish). Both guns are great and extremely accurate. While I don't do any benchrest shooting with handguns, reports have showed the Valor to be one of the most accurate 1911's made, production or semi-custom. I know if I do my part, they both produce one ragged hole in paper from 15 yards.

The price point is my issue with Dan Wesson. I have a CBOB and the Valor and both are terrific guns that I was able to purchase new for ~$1200. The black finish guns are approaching 1600+ and I have a hard time buying a production gun at that price point when you can have a semi custom for slightly more. In terms of fit and finish, they are both on par with each other. If you can get the Valor for 1500 or less, I'd suggest it - you won't be disappointed. Any more than that and I'd lean towards the Ed Brown.

Guest TresOsos

If you are serious about an Ed Brown (or a Baer), you need to call Crazy John, he has Brown's in stock and you can't beat the prices.

208-772-2339 He is great to deal with, just be prepared to chat a while.

Personnally if I wanted a Brown but did not want to wait 8 or 9 months and just had to buy something, then I would get a Les Baer, they are the best bang for the buck period.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Ed Brown Special Forces in Gen III. I had looked at both it and the Dan Wesson and had decided on the Brown, even with the wait. One day I was in a LGS and found exactly what I wanted sitting in their case. I had talked with several dealers, including Crazy John, and knew that the price the LGS was asking was about what I could get it for thru other dealers and I would have to wait :pleased: ...

Firearms are a personal choice but I love my Ed Brown :D !

DW's Valor is a very good 1911, however I'll agree with some of the "price point" complaints they get, here and elsewhere. You're getting real close to the Browns and Baers...why not just wait a little? DW's have a bit of a cult following that I think CZ has been lulled to sleep by.

Guest Bassman17SC

Welp. I found an Ed Brown. I've made a deal with an out of state FFL (legitimate gun store). I should be receiving my new EB Special Forces in a few weeks.

I found and held some DW Valors with the black ceramic coating, but they wanted almost $1,900 for them. So I "pulled the trigger" on the EB.

Pics and range report to follow - in a few weeks.

Guest pdogkilr

I don't think you will be disappointed in the EB. I have an Executive Elite (December buy from 1911 Heaven) and could not be happier. Sorry you let the TacOps go. Mine is a real shooter. Click the pix - they look better full size.

IMG_1812LeftSideSized1024.jpg

IMG_1869300PPISized1024.jpg

Edited by pdogkilr
Guest Bassman17SC

Okay. I found an EB 1911 with an out-of state FFL. We have come to an agreement on the price, etc. I will be receiving my new Special Forces (5' Govt length) in a few weeks!

Guest Bassman17SC

I don't think you will be disappointed in the EB. I have an Executive Elite (December buy from 1911 Heaven) and could not be happier. Sorry you let the TacOps go. Mine is a real shooter. Click the pix - they look better full size.

IMG_1812LeftSideSized1024.jpg

IMG_1869300PPISized1024.jpg

Yeah. That Sig TACOPS was sweet. Wanted to upgrade is all. I didn't really like the ambi-safety, though.

Edited by Bassman17SC
Guest Bassman17SC

Another update. Talked with Justin at Ed Brown. Ordered some parts (SS guide rod, slim grip screws, slim grip bushings, magazines, etc.). Also ordered some slim G10 grips from VZ. I'll post both 'before' (original NIB) pics as well as the 'after' (new grips) pics and an initial range report in a few weeks. Just don't like wood grips.

Can't wait!

Thanks to all who offered suggestions/opinions.

i have heard so much bad press about EdBrown himself I wont even look at his stuff

Flaws on his guns he wont fix,bad attitude from him at gun shows.....

Dan wesson is a prod gun,nice but if you got the cheese Id opt for other brands

So, obviously you don't own either one. Why bother posting?

While I have not fired these pistols, I've heard good remarks on each. In the past I've purchased pistols which were available, instead of waiting to order the one I desired. The result was, I later ordered the pistol and waited an even longer period before receiving it. A pistol I expected to wait for 3 months from Wilson Combat, was received in a week, due to a canceled order. Choose the pistol you prefer to own, and the wait will be worth the time.