homeowner with warning sign on front door killed

I agree about the signs giving away your element of surprise. I still can't help but wonder what, if any, deterrent value they have. If we believe that an armed citizenry is a crime deterrent, how else will a would-be criminal know?

More Citizens armed = more violent offenders get lead poisoning. That is when the criminal element start to consider the possibility of an armed citizenry when planning a violent crime, which would lead to less violent crime taking place... in theory. The best part about that scenario is what they know and what they don't know.

Some thought provoking comments here on the subject of home signs. I have a couple of ADT signs on my property and a "Protected by Smith & Wesson" big decal on my back door window. Think I'll scrape off the S&W decal, as the more I think about it as a deterent, the more I think it could be a detriment of surprise and preparation for BG'S.

I really don't see how him having a sign makes any difference one way or the other....

Homes without signs are robbed and although not reported, I'm sure there are homes with signs that aren't...and vice versa on both.

Banks with signs are robbed, banks without signs are robbed.

So without some sort of hard facts to the contrary....to me it is simply a coincidence that he had a sign and still had a break in.

I really don't see how him having a sign makes any difference one way or the other....

Homes without signs are robbed and although not reported, I'm sure there are homes with signs that aren't...and vice versa on both.

Banks with signs are robbed, banks without signs are robbed.

So without some sort of hard facts to the contrary....to me it is simply a coincidence that he had a sign and still had a break in.

I wouldn't want the sign because...

1. I don't want to advertise that I have one or more firearms because that may well make me an inviting target.

2. Such a sign mostly eliminates any element of surprise I might have if a BG is expecting me to be armed.

I look at it like this; I try not to do things that may make a potential BGs think I have stuff worth steeling...I also take multiple steps to deter their trying...if my cameras, reinforced doors, security system and dog aren't enough to deter them a silly sign out front saying "I'll shoot you" certainly isn't going to do so.

Plus, such a sign has no meaning if I"m not at home!

Of course, some bad guys aren't going to care about a sign or an alarm system or whether I'm home or even if I have valuable things...some bad guys are just bad guys and breaking into homes, whether the resident is there or not, is just what they do.

I wouldn't want the sign because...

1. I don't want to advertise that I have one or more firearms because that may well make me an inviting target.

2. Such a sign mostly eliminates any element of surprise I might have if a BG is expecting me to be armed.

I look at it like this; I try not to do things that may make a potential BGs think I have stuff worth steeling...I also take multiple steps to deter their trying...if my cameras, reinforced doors, security system and dog aren't enough to deter them a silly sign out front saying "I'll shoot you" certainly isn't going to do so.

Plus, such a sign has no meaning if I"m not at home!

Of course, some bad guys aren't going to care about a sign or an alarm system or whether I'm home or even if I have valuable things...some bad guys are just bad guys and breaking into homes, whether the resident is there or not, is just what they do.

That's sort of my point....it's like OC v CC or even Carry v No Carry....there are good and bad points that can be made for each. So in the end, it's a personal choice.

I think the only reason to mention the sign is it makes the story more "intriguing".

I really doubt he was targeted just because he had the sign or that the thugs did anything different than they were going to anyway. But that is just my opinion.

People have been hanging "I shoot invaders" signs on their doors since the invention of the gun. Before that, I'm sure there were signs hanging on doors that read "I'll sever head with sword" or "Bongo hit cavegirl big rock".

Only on the internets will you find hysteria that signs will get one killed.

:P

You guys make good points both ways, but the more comments I read, the less I think it makes a difference either way.

The BG in the OP probably didn't "see" the sign at all, but that may or may not have been a deterent either way.

In some other robbery case I read about somewhere, the victim shot and killed one of 2 criminals and the surviving criminal was charged with the death of the his partner in crime in addittion to robbery and whatever else. I liked that idea and hope it applies here too.

Tennessee does not recognize this aspect of the felony murder rule.

Tennessee does not recognize this aspect of the felony murder rule.

Why not? I thought if someone died as a result of a felony that you're committing you can be charged with 1st degree murder if it can be proven that your actions may have caused the death. For example, a person commits armed robbery of a convenience store and the clerks attempts to flee, slips and falls, cracks his head and dies of injuries. Just an example, but I've seen this in many other states and thought that it was true here.