FOOD PLOTS

Ok, I have contemplating doing a couple of these this year. I have two seperate propertys that I would like to do these on. Never done any so my question is what and when do you plant?

The spots will both roughly be an acre, one is the other will be probably a little over. The larger one is on a ridge in between a hay field and a large wooded area. The smaller one is going to be about a hundred yds. from some row crop, last year it was corn the year before was soybeans. Don't have any idea what will be there this year. There is a pine thicket seperating the area. Don't know if all that info was necessary but there it is.:)

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have found that Turnip Greens and Black Eyed Peas do very well. Turnip will last year round for the most part. We plant Turnip in early spring and peas after the last frost. Be ADVISED, that as soon as the deer find those "Peas"...you'll replant them 2 or 3 times like we had to. They love them!

Thanks, WD I didn't know about the black eyed peas, had heard about a little about the greens. I've got a friend that said one of his buds plants a little oats and wheat in the late summer early fall. I just didn't know if there was anything that some of ya'll planted earlier.

Appreciated.

Another big problem we had was turkeys digging and scratching up the seed. Once you find ways to get around that, it's all fine. We've also planted milo and collard greens. All we are planting this year is blackeyed peas (cow peas) and turnip.

We tried some of those "no till" throw on the ground type of seeds. Those plantings did not survive the turkeys, doves and other birds. If you have a tractor and can plow and till the ground, you will be much more successful.

Yeah, have a couple tractors, just bought another this past fall, had cows til a couple years ago. We done our own hay, you know cut, rake, and bale, round bales that is, lol. Will be discing and planting these spots. Just wasn't sure of what was good and what wasn't. Thanks again.

Our original food plots were planted with various things, to see what the wildlife wanted. I spoke with a biologist about some things. That's how we came about the cowpeas. Test your soil and lime/fertilize as needed. You can split your plots into 1/2 turnip, 1/2 peas if you want to as it hurts nothing to do so.

I do everything within my power to deal with the "T" word. I HATE them things! I've chased them out of my food plots a time or two while on the four wheeler. Even got after them once in the ole lady's Expedition. Won't never do that again! (don't ask why, I swear I don't know how that cedar tree ran out in front of me)...

We are getting ready to plow and disc within a couple of weeks if we can get it to stop raining long enough. Going to put the fertilizer down and plant the turnip soon. Blackeyed Peas coming in May!

Be damned those Turkeys!