Dyersburg Gunsmith totally screwed me

Guest djh860

I sent an expensive O/U down to have 2 extra barrels blued and fitted. He did blue them but after 6 months was unable to fit the new barrels properly. In frustration I asked that he send them back to me. The gun is special to me so I shipped it in a padded hard case that was then placed in a cardboard box. It was shipped both ways this carefully. The extra barrels were each placed inside a canvas sleeve before they were place inside the padded hard case. The gunsmith

John Carroll

Old south restoration

2359 Hwy 51 South

Dyersburg TN 38024

Had told me that he was having trouble fitting the barrels and explained in an email that he lost his temper. This is what he said to me in an email "Dan, had to put them away for a bit. I started getting mad and that's a no no when it comes to gunsmithing. You'll end up messing more than you fix up. I'll start back tomorrow." He had the gun for six months and told me in an email that he still wasnt done so I said look John thanks for the work just send my gun back to me.

So about 3 weeks after I aksed for my gun back I still didnt have the gun and I started getting worried. I emailed him almost every day saying John would you please send me my gun. I was given every answer in the book about why he couldn't or didn't ship my gun back. Then he sent me this email "Dan, sorry buddy for got to get back with you yesterday. I took it out of the box and checked it and has some minor rust on the flats of the barrels. I took it off and rubbed it down with some rig gun grease and let it set to make sure it wasn't going to come back. I'm taking it to ups today. I'll send you the tracking number about 1 today. "

Two days later he did ship my gun back to me. This is what I got. Rusted receiver and barrel tip. All the locks on the hard case were rusted. Huge deep gouge on the buttstock and a very bent trigger guard. The barrels where he tried to fit to my receiver were way out of round and a mess.

IMG_0854.jpg

Here are the pictures. BTW I encolsed pics of the hardcase so you can see it is undamaged.

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Edited by djh860
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to let him know he will be receiving a bill for the cost of repair. If you paid anything you need to dispute it with the credit card company.

Here is the Facebook page for the smith:

OSR Old South Restoration - Gun Store - Dyersburg, TN | Facebook

I would recommend you post these pictures on Facebook his wall with your story if you don't get positive results.

But above all else give him a chance to respond before impacting his business.

Dolomite

Ok now I'll give you the real side of the story. The barrels he sent were junk to start with. They were pitted from one end to the other, barrel bar knotch on both barrels were cut in the wrong place. I asked if he wanted me to weld the knotches up and recut the correctly, his answer was no. And mind you all this work was going to be for free. So I sent the package back and since we are talking about the packing, he recieved damaged goods. Ok it happens, I told him to file a clam with USP his answer was no, I told him to send it back and I would fix it with no charge, his answer was no. He told me I was going to pay someone else to fix it and my answer was no. I'm not responsiable for damage that happens while in shipping. Thats why I buy insurance. I have a Drilling in my shop right now that was shipped to me in a hard case with no damage to the case, just the same as yours Dan Hoban, and the stock was broke in half. Things happen during shipping, it sucks that it happened to yours but it's not my doing. I already told you I'd fix every issue for $0. But you want to get all over the net and slander my name and business. Look I have anywhere from 150 to 200 guns come through my shop each year. I dont run a shotty business. And in 12 years of business your the first person to complain.

What Hoban isn't telling all you is that I recieved the gun with the dings already in the stock. I figured will it's in a hard case and the TWO other barrels that was in those great COTTON bags, that you know have such fine protection against a piece of metal running into a piece of wood, so I figured they were already there. But seems to me he did it and is looking to have someone to blame. If anything like that would have happened in this shop it would have been fixed, no questions asked. The trigger guard was in perfect shape when it left here so that no doubt was done in shipping, but Dan Hoban insists that I threw it across the room or something, COME ON guy give me a break. I'm sure this will come out in this thread it has in another that I found on shotgun world, haven't been able to reply to that one yet but trust me I will, he's probably going to tell all of you I told him not to contact me again, YES I DID!!! and the reason behind that I after several emails I got one that said ("F**K you, you rat BAS**D), guess it was mobster night in the hoban house that night, And Dan do you kiss your mother with that filthy mouth. Anyways after that I was done with his conversation. What if one of my children would have been setting by me and read that email Hoban. But I guess people like you dont care about others huh.

Thats all I got to say about this for now, but Dan Hoban if you wanna reply with anymore of YOUR SIDE OF THE STORY, you knows where you like to leave details out so it looks good on your part, I'll be back to tell the real side of the story. I have nothing to hid, I run a great business here and have hundreds of VERY happy customers.

Thanks you and have a nice day.

Libel:

A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation. The act of presenting such material to the public.

Understanding Tennessee Law of libel and slander

Understanding Tennessee Law of Libel and Slander : Tennessee Injury Law Center

Victim's Help for Internet Libel or "e-libel'

Deleting and dealing with Internet Defamation of Character or e-libel. Reflections of an Internet Libel Survivor & Career Re-builder.

I doubt we will hear from the OP again. Just noticed he is in Mass. He is probably just registering at all the gun sites he can just to tell this story. I'm going to Shotgun world and see what he said over there.

And to OSR, thanks for coming over to tell your side of the story. I hope this all works out for everyone involved.

Edit: Here is the link to the same discussion over on ShotgunWorld.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=280993&start=0

Edited by Westwindmike
added link

Westwindmike, again thank you for posting that on shotgun world. This was what I added to my post that I posted on here.

WestwindMike, thank you very much for posting that for me. And i'd like to add a few things. First is this is not some shade tree business. I work on guns ranging from $500 to $20,000. Nobody would build a business like mine by sending out beat up work. That's not going to happen here nor will it ever.

Now this might be considered advertising but maybe the monerator will let it pass so I can try to clear my name and business. This is a link to my OSR facebook page with several hundred pictures. Nothing goes out of this shop that's not of the very best quality. http://www.facebook.com/pages/OSR-Old-S ... 0414914628

I'm very sorry Hoban's gun got damaged during shipping but I also told him I would fix everything at no charge to him. I'm not respondable for shipping damage but in the few cases that something has gotten damaged I have fixed it at no charge to the customer. It's easier for me to do it rather than go through the hassal for filing a clam with UPS.

And the last thing I have to say about this is, I go above and beyond for my customers. Often if a customer doesn't have the extra money to restore grips or replace a part I do it for NO CHARGE!! That's just the kind of business I run here. I would never send a gun back that had been damaged in my shop.

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by OSR
misspelled

I think OSR makes a much better case. I believe the guy was unhappy with shipping damages and apparently just getting something for nothing was not good enough. User banned, thread locked but not deleted so OSR's side of the story will remain visible for those who are interested.