M&P15 Sport

Superman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Individual rifles vary but as a general rule 5R barrels wil be more accurate than standard rifling. The only advantage the V-15 has over the Sport is the longer barrel. The Sport on the other had has the 5R rifling, melonite coating, and is A LOT cheaper.

Something else to think about is the weight. The V-15 weighs in at almost 8 pounds without a 2 pound scope on it. The Sport is 6.5 pounds. It may not seem like much but 1.5 pounds is a lot when you are carrying it.

Like I said before, for the money the Sport can't be beat. For a beginner or rifle to build upon it has all the right features without the extra cost.

Here are some intersting facts about the melonite treatment:

*Melonite is harder then Chrome lining (Melonite is 70 rockwell).

*Melonite is not a finish that is applied onto the surface of the barrel, it heats treats the barrel material itself.

*Mil-Spec chrome lined barrels have chrome that is .0003" to .0005" thick. while the Melonite hardens the material .005" deep. (nealy 10x thicker)

*Melonite covers the inside and outside of the barrel.

*Melonite will not start chipping away with extended use since it is not a surface covering like chrome.

And when you combine this with the known advantages of a 5R barrel you have a winner. The Sport's 5R barrel and Melonite coating should be what is on their higher end guns, not their budget model. I honestly can't figure out why they did it this way but it is great for AR buyers.

Dolomite

If you were going to drop $1200 on an AR for pesky critter shooting what would you get ? I do want to take some long shots. OK , that is one wide open question , I don't even expect an answer. I just need to get my wallet open and buy something , sorry for all the dumb questions , I have asked so many in the past three days I am surprised I have not been banned.

:(

Edited by Threeeighty
If you were going to drop $1200 on an AR for pesky critter shooting what would you get ? I do want to take some long shots. OK , that is one wide open question , I don't even expect an answer. I just need to get my wallet open and buy something , sorry for all the dumb questions , I have asked so many in the past three days I am surprised I have not been banned.

:(

it kinda depends on you are calling a pesky critter, i very prefer a 1 x 7 twist you could still shoot a 55 or 60 grain v-max if the critter is small, yes a tad of over kill but you could use a 70 grains barnes if it is a four legged white tail. or a 75 or 77 grain if it is a herd of wild golfs at 400-500 yards.

for $695

white oak makes some uppers that fit the bill complete uppers, free float tube, BCG barrel lengths to 26"

the scope will put well above the $1200 but with out them $1200 should cover it. FYI scope and mount $1000. picture by alleycat

this one shot out to 1000 yards with a white oak 20" barrel it had a X ring hit a couple of 10 ring and 2 misses.

longlongar.jpg

Edited by RWF
Guest NYCrulesU

I think I'm pretty much solld on the M&P Sport AR15.

For the price, I don't think it can be beat. A few modifications, handful of extra mags and you're still under or at the cost of most AR's. Only thing I need to decide is vertical, slanted or no forward grip and stock sights or scope?

Tax returns look to be direct deposited by the 15th. I will embark on a $3-4k shopping trip shortly therafter lol

Guest bkelm18
Yes, but they don't come with 3 extra mags. :(

True but your mag prices are ridiculous to begin with. $30 for a AR PMag... $60 for a M&P pistol mag...?

:hiding:

I would buy the Sport then buy a seperate upper to fill the varmint needs. There are several makers who make decent uppers that woudl get you in under $1,200 for both.

Dolomite

True but your mag prices are ridiculous to begin with. $30 for a AR PMag... $60 for a M&P pistol mag...?

dont take this the wrong way, BUT if i wasn't so many drugs already i would have to hit you up for some! :) high is paying more than $14 with free shipping. for a pmag, most standard mags are common at around $10.

the mag pul Emag was going for around 30. but why do I/you need one, the pmags seem to do fine in a ACR, SCAR may be different.

Guest NYCrulesU

If anyone here knows where I can find one in stock, at a good price, please let me know. I called all 3 shops semi local to me and they have none and when asked if they could order it for me was told "We probably won't be getting any anytime soon".

Guess folks around here don't like making money or doing a little work.

So, if I have to travel I will or have one delivered through a dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd like one with the exact specs off the S&W site (mostly I mean..I don't want the chrome lined barrel).

If anyone here knows where I can find one in stock, at a good price, please let me know. I called all 3 shops semi local to me and they have none and when asked if they could order it for me was told "We probably won't be getting any anytime soon".

Guess folks around here don't like making money or doing a little work.

So, if I have to travel I will or have one delivered through a dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd like one with the exact specs off the S&W site (mostly I mean..I don't want the chrome lined barrel).

What gun? people are now talking about other guns in the thread.

If it is the Sport I see them at every show for $649.

Dolomite

Guest NYCrulesU
What gun? people are now talking about other guns in the thread.

If it is the Sport I see them at every show for $649.

Dolomite

Yea, the M&P 15 Sport. I was staying on topic lol :)

I don't get to shows much. Heck...I don't ever go past Spart and Cookeville lol $649. is a great price...I'd start with one but proba ly work up to buying 2.

Is it the Melonite barrel that you're seeing?

Yea, the M&P 15 Sport. I was staying on topic lol :)

I don't get to shows much. Heck...I don't ever go past Spart and Cookeville lol $649. is a great price...I'd start with one but proba ly work up to buying 2.

Is it the Melonite barrel that you're seeing?

Yes, the Melonite is standard on the Sport.

Seems odd to add the best coating you can get to the cheapest rifle you sell but it is their choice.

Dolomite

I wonder if it's cheaper to do the Melonite vs chrome

It is a salt bath so it probably is cheaper to do but it is also a better treatment from everything I have seen or read about. The onyl reaeson why the military is still using chrome lining is that is the standard and they can't just change it without a major study.

Dolomite