Rendering Aid

Good discussion. Makes me think of the others in the house, both those I want to protect and those who may wish to do us harm. If I were in that scenario I would retreat to the hallway that leads to my wife and kids and defend it until LEOs arrive. I'm not gonna help someone and risk his accomplice(s) taking me out and/or getting to my wife and kids.

• Like 1

^^^^^^ This is the single most important thing...INTENT

Shooting someone with the intent to kill is murder. There really is no way around that. Shooting someone with the intent of stopping a percieved threat is justifiable. The phrase "shoot to kill" suggests intent. Shooting to stop a threat isn't a "wink, wink and nod".... it is what it is; to stop a threat. It just so happens that it is acceptable to aim center mass in SD, which could result in death, but if the intent was to kill vs. stop then it is murder. Proving intent may not be so easy based on forensic evidence, but certainly expressing intent publically here would make a prosecuter's job very, very easy. I really hope for your sake that you don't have to use your weapon in a SD shoot because you'd be screwed.

Besides, your goal shouldn't be to kill. I'm not saying that you don't defend yourself, but when you say your goal is to kill the threat that suggests that you're doling out a punishment for home invasion rather than protecting yourself and your family. In your mind it may be simple as verbage, but in reality the verbage means everything.

I think we're long lost twins, you took the words right out of my mouth again.