Rendering Aid

Sound asleep, you suddendly "think" you heard a loud noise in your house. With cob webs still floating around in your head, you half fall out of bed and look at the alarm clock. It's 2:47 A.M. as you quickly grab your home defense weapon next to your bed and flash light right by it. You whisper to you wife, who also was awaken by something, "did you hear that? Do you know what or where it came from? Stay here, I'll check it out".

As the cob webs slowly turn to alertness, you think about calling 911 but, you're not even sure anything is wrong and don't want to tie up an emergency number for a false alert. Suddenly, you hear something out of place but can't make out exactly what it is or where it is coming from. Could it be a faulty refrigerator fan motor, pot tipped over from the stacked supper dishes the wife left in the dish strainer, the furnace, an animal?

You slowly make your way out your bedroom door to investigate. Your mind is racing with thoughts and you can start to hear your own heart beating, you hope it doesn't get any louder to give your position away. One of the many thoughts racing through your head is; I'm thankful my children are grown and left the nest. Your next thought is about your safety and your wifes.

As you are slowly making your way around the house to investigate, being as quiet as possible in your tighty whities, you again second guess yourself about calling 911. But, you're still not absolutely sure your home has been invaded so, you slowly continue on, using your mini Surefire flash light sparingly.

You have made your way down the hall and suddenly in the living room you see a large shadow in motion and heading toward you at seven yards away. As your handgun was at the ready, you light that shadow up coming fast at you. In 1/2 of a second you made a life altering decision.

The information you processed in your brain in that "split" second was, it's a large male dressed in dark clothing, he has something un-identified in his hand, he is rough looking, he doesn't belong here. The next thing you're aware of is, it's totally dark, you can't see a thing, you smell gun powder and you're shaking like a leaf.

You press the tail button again on your Surefire flash light and see that scruffy male in dark clothing laying on the ground and hear him moaning. It then comes back to you, you pulled the trigger three times and the muzzle flashes temporary blinded you. As you keep your handgun trained on this dude you rush over and turn on the living room light.

In the light you quickly notice this guy is bleeding like a faucet. You notice to the right all the glass on the kitchen floor where you assume he had entered from. In the split second you had to make a decision to fire before he was on you, you finally see what he had in his hand, a tire iron.

You yell up to your wife to call 911 and you hear her crying and asking if you're all right as she bolts down from the bedroom. You tell her again to call 911 NOW! As you're standing there shaking uncontrolably, your handgun bouncing around as if you were shooting a machine gun, you think to yourself, should I help this douch bag? Living in BFE you know the Sheriff's deputy's will take at least 10 minutes to get there, and that's if one is cruising around the area. It could be up to 45 minutes for them to arrive. You know this because many times you've listened to the scanner as the deputy calls back on the radio to dispatch asking for direction on how to get there.

Now that 911 has been called, you have to make a tough decision. It appears that douch bag connected with two of your rounds and they appear to be in the upper torso. He's bleeding all over your 3 week old carpet. It would be a safe bet he's some sort of junkie. So, what would you do?

A. Render aid. Try to stop the bleeding and if he goes into arrest, administer CPR.

B. Keep covering him with your weapon. He could be faking it and waiting for an opportunity to escape.

C. You're an environmentalist and see a waste of oxygen and want to conserve the O2 for future generations.

I would try to aid the man as much as my knowledge allowed; it's simply the moral thing to do.

I am assuming, however, that he truly is no longer a threat, and since I live alone, I would have to be VERY sure the man longer posed a threat. Having a "wife" in the picture who, hopefully, knows how to use a weapon should she need to; might make me feel more secure in helping him.

• Like 1

B as the wife is a nurse and so would probably choose A regardless of what I thought. When my son is a few years older, I would hand him the pistol and just hold my knife to the guy's throat while the wife worked on him to reduce the risk if he tries to take away my weapon.

Yes , the scum usually travel in pairs or packs. Always expect more than 1 intruder in a home burglary or invasion. The biggest mistake in a home invasion shooting is the stopping or incapacitation of an intruder and then relaxing , there is usually someone else in the shadows. That's just my way of thinking.

Guest TresOsos

I hope your not serious,"add another round" that just took it from self-defense to murder.

Anyway my answer is B cover until the authorities arrive, I'm not medically trained and neither is the wife.

As for no witness no problem, forensics will be able to tell he was down when you "added" your round.

Edited by TresOsos

A; the more blood i can stop now the less i have to clean up later. In all honesty though id really rather they guy not die i'm more concerned about the immediate threat once there is no threat i see no reason not to try to save him. Although I wouldn't loose any sleep if the guy died.

If the scum broke into my house and is even moving I am justifyed in shooting "it" , 2nd 3rd or whatever shot. If "it" is moving and I am threatened "it" may be shot again. If I have time to cover the rest of my domain and think "it" is not a threat to the rest of my domain then I will return to "it" and render aid if I fell it is neccessary.

Edited by Threeeighty
I hope your not serious,"add another round" that just took it from self-defense to murder.

Anyway my answer is B cover until the authorities arrive, I'm not medically trained and neither is the wife.

As for no witness no problem, forensics will be able to tell he was down when you "added" your round.

Forensics??? You watch too much NCIS.

A; the more blood i can stop now the less i have to clean up later. In all honesty though id really rather they guy not die i'm more concerned about the immediate threat once there is no threat i see no reason not to try to save him. Although I wouldn't loose any sleep if the guy died.

Any POs that breaks into my house is a direct threat to me, and more importantly to my wife. I will neutralize that threat with no regrets whatsoever. Sorry...that's how I feel and it's how I will react to a legitimate threat.

Guest TresOsos

The law gives you the legal right to self-defense to stop the attack/threat.

It does not grant you the power to be judge, jury and executioner.

As far as to much NCIS, you'd be very surprised what a good medical examiner can deduce.

As Threeeighty pointed out, one bad guy on the ground in no way means that you're out of danger. Furthermore, the OP pointed out that you don't have kids there to worry about. With those points in mind, I'd probably go with

D. Quickly retreat to the bedroom with the wife, close the bedroom door, and cover that door until help arrives.

That's not because of any ill will toward the guy, but rather out of ongoing concern for our safety.

Truth is, I wouldn't leave the bedroom to begin with because that's where I have the greatest advantage (several weapons, additional ammo, a wife to communicate with 911 dispatcher, and a single well-covered enemy choke point - the bedroom door).

The law gives you the legal right to self-defense to stop the attack/threat.

It does not grant you the power to be judge, jury and executioner.

As far as to much NCIS, you'd be very surprised what a good medical examiner can deduce.

Indeed. "good" is the limiting word.

I comprende what your saying. What I'm saying is this...I'm an old guy with bad knees who wears glasses. If you break into my house I wil shoot you and my Sig holds 17 rounds of 9mm hollow points. I will most probably unload my weapon in your general direction, reload, put on my glasses, and look for your accomplices.

Guest TresOsos
As Threeeighty pointed out, one bad guy on the ground in no way means that you're out of danger. Furthermore, the OP pointed out that you don't have kids there to worry about. With those points in mind, I'd probably go with

D. Quickly retreat to the bedroom with the wife, close the bedroom door, and cover that door until help arrives.

That's not because of any ill will toward the guy, but rather out of ongoing concern for our safety.

Truth is, I wouldn't leave the bedroom to begin with because that's where I have the greatest advantage (several weapons, additional ammo, a wife to communicate with 911 dispatcher, and a single well-covered enemy choke point - the bedroom door).

I'm with you, my bedroom is on the second floor, lock bedroom door, move object in front of it, while wife calls 911.

Defend that doorway.

Any POs that breaks into my house is a direct threat to me, and more importantly to my wife. I will neutralize that threat with no regrets whatsoever. Sorry...that's how I feel and it's how I will react to a legitimate threat.

I wasn't attacking your way of handling the situation. Ive treated wounded enemy combatants before i don't see it as being that very different. You can prioritize things however you wish but watching people die in front of you isn't a whole lot of fun.

Guest NYCrulesU

B.

Even though I have basic medical skills, I have no desire or obligation ...morally or legally...to attempt to save the scum that broke into my home and chose to have me shoot him.

I'll put on a pot of coffee and wait for the Sheriff's Dept. while he bleeds out. So long as he stays down I won't have to waste another round on him.

First off, if he is bleed profusely, "A" would most likely be futile and a waste of time unless you are a trained medical professional with access to fluids and means to control the bleeding internally. Not to mention, if you are putting yourself in contact with a criminal's blood, there is a good chance you are exposing yourself to ugly diseases; thereby endangering your health with not only the immediate circumstances but also with future health concerns.

I also would not want there to be any question of whether this truly was a self defense situation. If the threat is adequately neutralized with the first voley and you stop shooting long enough to make the assessment as you have describe, it would be a poor decision to commence fire again in order to kill the intruder. You never really know who is around and will hear the subsequent shots.

Given the above reasoning, my answer would be B. However, this is not to imply that I won't do my damnedest to completely eliminate this person, but I will not risk facing any unwarranted scrutiny in order to do this.

The reality of it is this. If the guy is on the floor bleeding like stink as you described, by the time I make sure my position is secure and am able to call 911 and explain the situation as calmly as possible, this dude is going to die, and I will have a reason to install hardwood floors :)

My two cents. Only two people have a key to my house. My daughter and my girlfriend. They both know, if you come over in the middle of the night call me first. If you can't get me by phone, hammer on the doors and let me know it's you. If you don't get a response from me, call the cops.

If I wake up in the middle of the night and see someone in my house, it's only going to take me a fraction of a second to determine if it's my daughter, my girlfriend or a person in police uniform. Anybody else I shoot.

And I'm not a doctor, a nurse or an EMT. The best medical aid I can render is to call 911 and tell what happened and request an ambulance ASAP. And I am not going to lay my gun down and try to stop the bleeding or give CPR. There may be another gremlin in the house. I will keep my gun in my hand until cops arrive and then I will give it to them.

I wasn't attacking your way of handling the situation. Ive treated wounded enemy combatants before i don't see it as being that very different. You can prioritize things however you wish but watching people die in front of you isn't a whole lot of fun.

Yes. you are correct. One does what is required in the situation in which you find yourself. That is the experience I too bring to the table.

Guest drwright6

I'm not going to wait a minute or two to finish him off. When I'm done shooting he will be dead. I have a young daughter to protect. I don't plan on running into this ass hat at Kroger in a few years. Grab the kid and head for the safe room to call 911.

Guest TresOsos
Indeed. "good" is the limiting word.

I comprende what your saying. What I'm saying is this...I'm an old guy with bad knees who wears glasses. If you break into my house I wil shoot you and my Sig holds 17 rounds of 9mm hollow points. I will most probably unload my weapon in your general direction, reload, put on my glasses, and look for your accomplices.

If you stop him and he goes down and is no longer a threat, I'm just cautioning you against doing anything that might get you sharing a cell with him or his kind. Don't do anything like the pharmacist in Oklahoma who just had to go back and shoot the robber 5 more times and is now serving a life sentence for murder.