Employee Safe Commute (Parking Lot) Campaign

Full E&CA Committee Chairman Jimmy Eldridge promises that HB 3560 WILL be heard in the Sub-committee on Wednesday next, and will get a hearing in the full committee. We are lining up folks for testimony in the full committee hearing, as we have been told Leadership is demanding that the Chamber be allowed to go against the bill.

Watch the E&CA sub-committee schedule.

...as we have been told Leadership is demanding that the Chamber be allowed to go against the bill.

I'm hoping this is akin to a Freudian slip...but alas, you may speak truer than you know.

I'm hoping this is akin to a Freudian slip...but alas, you may speak truer than you know.

No, I meant is as it was typed. The Chamber is a Big Business champion, and has been adversarial to this effort since day one. They also donate a lot of money to Legislators, so their presence in the "opposition" bears a lot of weight, hence the Leadership's demand that they be allowed to speak against the bill, intimidation at its finest.

Edited by Worriedman

Ahhh...the Chamber as in Chamber of Commerce, rather than in reference to the full House body (which is how I initially read it - hence, my comment). Got it. IIRC, the Chamber was also staunchly opposed to the restaurant legislation: weren't they on the bandwagon for the "if you pass this, tourism dollars will dry up and conventions will go outside the state" line?

Tennessee pols who are in opposition to the Employee Safe Commute Act include the Governor and Lt. Governor:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/apr/02/haslam-ramsey-wary-of-guns-in-parking-lots-bill/

"Expanding it to hunting licenses — even though I can see why they did that — but that's stuff that just doesn't need to be done," said Ramsey, R-Blountville. "It needs to be for gun carry permit holders only."

I wonder how the hunting license holders of Tennessee are going to take the insinuation that they are not to be trusted leaving their hunting arms in their vehicles after going hunting in the morning, or planning to go after work?

Ahhh...the Chamber as in Chamber of Commerce, rather than in reference to the full House body (which is how I initially read it - hence, my comment). Got it. IIRC, the Chamber was also staunchly opposed to the restaurant legislation: weren't they on the bandwagon for the "if you pass this, tourism dollars will dry up and conventions will go outside the state" line?

Yes sir, they were.

That the "Caucus" (Republican Majority) seems to somehow be against the bill is a wonderment to me, out of the House numbers, 30 or so caucus members are co-sponsors. Yet, we keep hearing that the caucus is not in favor of the legislation. Polled independently, I have found only a few House Members that are against the bill, but then to be honest, I have not spoken with may Democrats.

Excluding hunters makes almost as much sense as excluding fenced lots (another position I've heard Ramsey espouse). Which reminds me...seems I remember a Ramsey campaign flyer with him decked out in hunting gear. Selective memory, I suppose...

Tennessee pols who are in opposition to the Employee Safe Commute Act include the Governor and Lt. Governor:

http://www.knoxnews....king-lots-bill/

I wonder how the hunting license holders of Tennessee are going to take the insinuation that they are not to be trusted leaving their hunting arms in their vehicles after going hunting in the morning, or planning to go after work?

Invite them to get an HCP with its background check. Trustworthiness established. Problem solved.

One of the results of the current legislation would be an up-tick in the number of people who get their permits, and when that occurs, more folks will become involved.

Several of the Fed Ex employees that I have talked with say they have not perfected their permits because they would still not be allowed to keep their weapons in their vehicles, so why pay the money and take the time?

Once a person comes out of pocket for the class, and pays the vig to the State, they feel like they have skin in the game. The more permit holders we have, the better effect we can generate with the Legislature due to the numbers.

There were a little over 600K voters in the last gubernatorial election, with half that number being permit holders, one would think that firearms owners would foster a certain amount of respect from the politicians. But, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and untill enough people make noise, the pols feel like they can slid it to us any way they want to.

Yesterday I was the only person (excluding the NRA lobbyist) on the hall that was up there talking to the Senators and Representatives about the bills. There were over 100 people running up and down the halls to foster natural gas car engines, who do you think garnered more interest?

Edited by Worriedman

This was my comments to the committee, and a number of other legislators..

Reply (and correction on stats - I had noted 15 of 16) from Rep. Eldridge.

Mr. Rollen,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your concerns. Yesterday Consumer & Employee Affairs Sub-Committee moved through 11 of 16 Bills on the calendar. A substantial amount of business was taken care of with the 1 Hour our committee is given to meet. There where a few complex workers comp issues the committee had to work though from the prior week. HB3560, along with 4 other bills, are on the sub-committee calendar for next week. I have signed on as prime co-sponsor of HB3560/SB3002 and am very supportive of this legislation. I have always been very supportive of our 2nd amendment rights, especially regarding law-abiding, hard working citizens. Again, thank you for contacting me about this matter. If I can ever be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a great day!

Jimmy Eldridge

Guest TnRebel

http://www.wsmv.com/...rking-lots-bill

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Gov. Bill Haslam and Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey are among the prominent Republicans trying to put the brakes on a bill seeking to guarantee employees the right to store their firearms in vehicles parked at work.

Just broke on the news that Mr. Ramsey said the bill would not come to the floor for vote this year ... and then turned around and ask for our vote for another term and asst.gov. hell i will vote for a Dem before him again .Why cant the knuckleheads in Nashville get it right like Fl.

Edited by TnRebel

I don't know why I find more news about this bill from news sorces out west than around here but that's what I've been finding. Here is another:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765566048/Ramsey-chides-Chamber-for-focus-on-guns-pre-K.html

"While Ramsey acknowledged that the guns-in-parking-lots measure involves prickly property rights issues, he expects to reach a compromise before the bill heads for a vote."

Yesterday I was the only person (excluding the NRA lobbyist) on the hall that was up there talking to the Senators and Representatives about the bills. There were over 100 people running up and down the halls to foster natural gas car engines, who do you think garnered more interest?

This is what WE NEED to do. I know it is short notice and I really believe that the leadership does this on purpose. They know most of us have regular jobs and can not just drop stuff at the drop of a hat and travel to Nashville. BUT as many of us as can need to come to Nashville on Tuesday morning. We need buttons or something we can put on our clothes that simply says, "SAFE COMMUTE" and another that says, "NO FENCE". We need to be seen in strength outside Ramsey's office AND Harwell's office and IN the House committee meeting.

• Like 1
Guest TnRebel

You should let Mr. Ramsey know that.

I did in no uncertain terms on his FaceBook page and in an email .

Edited by TnRebel

Interesting subcom meeting this morning. White was like a worm in hot ashes - while I am glad he allowed the bill(s) to proceed to full committee, the manner in which he did so was, frankly, atrocious. For the first time, I find myself agreeing with GA Hardaway...at least on the manner in which this was done. Our elected officials at their finest...

http://tnga.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=127&clip_id=5323

Interesting subcom meeting this morning. White was like a worm in hot ashes - while I am glad he allowed the bill(s) to proceed to full committee, the manner in which he did so was, frankly, atrocious. For the first time, I find myself agreeing with GA Hardaway...at least on the manner in which this was done. Our elected officials at their finest...

http://tnga.granicus...27&clip_id=5323

Do not disagree. Bass was ready to explain the bills, and his amendments, but White acted like they were horseshoes right off the forge.

My understanding is that they will be debated, and testimony taken next week in the full committee. Of interest the second two bills have no Senate component, (no companion bills).

Looks like McCormick is trying to put up some effort to show that he and Harwell i.e. Leadership, were attempting to foster a "gun bill" even though there is NO chance that his Fed Ex inspired legislation can move forward, as there is no counterpart on the Senate side.

They take us for fools.

GKar, seeing your location, I would surmise that Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey is your Senator?

You might question him on this response he penned to a question he received in 2010 regarding this very issue:

Sent: Tuesday, [omitted], 2010

To: [omitted]

Subject: Re: HB 3141 & SB 3009

Dear [omitted],

I support the bill requiring businesses to allow employees with

handgun-carry permits to take their guns onto the company’s parking

lot if the gun is left in the employee’s locked car. . Permit-holding

citizens are some of our safest, most responsible citizens and their

constitutional rights should not expire at the entrance to a parking

lot. Asking a citizen to give up his or her safety and constitutional

rights en route from home to work is an unreasonable burden. Our

state recently saw the most brutal torture-slaying in Tennessee

history – and it began with a carjacking. I cannot in good conscience

ask law-abiding men and women to give up their right to self-defense

in the workplace or anywhere else.

Thank you,

Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey

(emphasis mine) Reproduced with permission by the recipient.

Interesting how a couple of years can change a politician's mind on an issue they seemed so staunch on while running in the primary for Governor during 2010...

You would be correct, Worriedman - Ramsey is my state Senator. I have emailed him several times throughout this GA session seeking his comments on these bills, particularly with regard to "prior" statements such as the one you have relayed above. I have yet to receive a response. Therefore, I am left with no recourse but to assume his most recent statements as relayed by Spkr Harwell are indicative of his present position - I even pointedly and specifically asked about those, but again was met with silence.

Ron is an active auctioneer - my guess is that we have been outbid.

Wait - I just noticed something. The response you quoted is from "teamronramsey", not "lt.gov.ron.ramsey". Therein, methinks, lies the difference...

I have again today asked this question. We'll see...

Edited by GKar
  • Like 1

You would be correct, Worriedman - Ramsey is my state Senator. I have emailed him several times throughout this GA session seeking his comments on these bills, particularly with regard to "prior" statements such as the one you have relayed above. I have yet to receive a response. Therefore, I am left with no recourse but to assume his most recent statements as relayed by Spkr Harwell are indicative of his present position - I even pointedly and specifically asked about those, but again was met with silence.

Wait - I just noticed something. The response you quoted is from "teamronramsey", not "lt.gov.ron.ramsey". Therein, methinks, lies the difference...

I have again today asked this question. We'll see...

The "teamronramsey" was from his Gubernatorial bid days, dated 2010, when he was trying to win friends and get elected, playing the Conservative at the time.

Your comment

is priceless!