Beretta PX4 Storm 9 mm

Guest olddog

My son bought a Baretta PX4 storm 9mm about a year ago. He had problems with failure to fire using WWB ammo. He sent it back to Baretta and they returned it. It worked for a few months and had the same problem. He finally got around to sending the gun back to Baretta. He received it back again and took it to the range using American Eagle ammo. On the first mag there were 2 failure to fires and on the last round the slide did not latch in the back position. Is this a typical problem with this gun and is this typical of the poor service from Baretta?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a beretta NEOS that had problems. After sending the gun back a second time, Beretta simply shipped Sportsman's Warehouse a brand new NEOS to replace the one I was having problems with. Sportsman's transferred the new NEOS to me free of charge (they did the bknd check for free). So that made me a very happy customer, and I've had no problems out of the new gun.

Point is I think Beretta will make good on it. They did for me.

it sounds like the ammo is not hot enough to cycle the gun properly. I have never had this issue on those brands but anything is possible. It could also need lube: its been months you said, did it get any cleaning in between trips to the factory? Fixing it and returning it is not poor service --- it worked when you got it back and they do not have a crystal ball to say it will break again in a few months. Poor service is getting it back and it does not work on the first shot. Nevermind, I misread that. It should work after coming back from them. I would ask them what ammo they used to test it after they worked on it, and then try that brand.... I suspect they test fired it and it worked for them, probably at least 1 mag of ammo.

It sounds like break-in woes to me. Shoot it a lot. Like 500 rounds. Clean it every 100. If the problem persists past that, send it back again and remind them its the second trip back (you might get free stuff or bumped up in the wait line). I have the subcompact in 40 and it has never missed a beat, but does not have that rotating barrel thing. Those extra moving parts may dirty up fast, esp on a new gun, and need extra lube/cleaning attention, but that is a guess.

Edited by Jonnin

PX4 has rotating barrel. Other guns with same schematic are Beretta 8000, 8045, 9000, Slovak K-1

The cartridge goes from the magazine to the chamber. The chamber is not tilted (like in Colt-Browning design). As a result such gun is more sensitive to the cartridge geometry. Especially to the shape of a bullet.

The btight side of this design: you can use totally insane loads. The lock of rotating barrel is symmetrical. High pressure can not disconnect the slide from barrel prematurely

I had good results with Rainier "truncated dome". 40S&W. You can try similar reloads in 9mm Luger

850 rounds through my px4 9mm since I bought it new a month ago. I have shot all the different FMJ and JHP walmart sells and the range reloads. I also shot ranger nato and fiocchi jhp. 115, 124, 135, and 147 grain they all loaded, fired, and ejected everytime. The top round in the magazine tilts upward but sits a bit lower than the barrel. Its a 45 degree angle into the chamber. It looks like it will jam everytime but has worked fine so far.