CFE 223 powder

I figured I would pass on my observations of this new powder. There isn't a lot of information on it right now because it is so new. I will say this stuff meters better than anything else I have every tried. I weigh every single charge then I normally have to add more as needed. With the CFE 223 I didn't have do this because there was not any variation throw to throw.

I picked it up in bulk from David (DLM37015 on here). He still has plenty and as usual his prices can't be beat.

I loaded some 223 with 53 grain flat base SMK's using this powder. I loaded 27.7, 28.0 and 28.3 grains. I am using Wolf Small Rifle Primers. I also decided to compare apples to apples by loading a 69 SMK load using the CFE 223 rather than the usual accurate load of Varget. I want to see how they compare when the only variable is the powder.

Just thought I would pass this great deal onto fellow TGO members.

It also works for a wider range of calibers that any other I can think of.

17 Remington

204 Ruger

222 Remington

223 Remington

22 PPC

22-250 Remington

6mm PPC

6mm BR

243 Winchester

25-35 Winchester

250 Savage

257 Roberts

25WSSM

6.5mm BR

6.5mm Creedmoor

260 Remington

6.5mm Swedish Mauser

270 Winchester

7mm-08 Remington

30-30 Winchester

308 Winchester

8X57mm Mauser

338 Federal

375 Ruger

375 H&H

243 WSSM

223 WSSM

Dolomite

I wondered how it could "erase" the fouling and wouldn't you like to know where I found the answer...

Hatchers Notebook.Page 337....yep WW 1 technology ,.. it seems the French to keep fouling down in their Arty. shells used strips of tinfoil in with the powder and it reacts due to heat and pressure.

Hatcher experimented with smaller bits,perhaps powdered tin, in a .30-06 and found similar results..a sooty formation easily cleaned compared to copper fouling..

I am sure "Big H" is using some sort of chemical but the theory has been around for almost a century. Love how history comes back around..

John

Edited by LngRngShtr
page reference

I was able to shoot some groups today. Kind of windy but still able to shoot some decent groups.

I will say this powder shot groups that were comparable to the known good load in my AR. The best group with this powder was slightly smaller than the best with my usual powders and it is doing it for 1/2 the cost. I will also say it seems a lot cleaner than the Varget or H335 I normally use. Best groups hovered in the 1/2" range at 122 yards for a 10, yes 10, shot group.

I still need to fine tune the loads but as it stands the load of 28.3 with a 53 grain SMK produced a very nice, consistent group with my 16 inch gun. It is also going to be a fast shooter as the max with the bullet is 28.5 grains. The max powder charge for a single load costs right at 4.5 cents for each round which is very cheap compared to most powder.

I can whole heartedly recommend this powder to anyone wanting to load accurate loads. As a side benefit this is also a very cheap powder (about 1/2 the cost of other powders).

As I said David (DLM37015) has this powder for under $100 for 8 pounds and it is a great deal on a great powder. You can load 2,000 rounds with his 8 pound jug.

Dolomite