M&P9 vs 1911

Guest 1911Girl

Guest 1911Girl

Wanting to trade my M&P9 for a 1911. Not sure where to do it. It is going to be MY first 1911 (not my husbands) I like the 45 much better than a 9mil.

Here is my question, a lot of gun owners tell me "your a female so you should keep the 9mm and not get the 1911 in .45" , I shoot much better the the 1911 in .45 than 9mil so why do a lot of people think females would shoot better in a smaller round? I believe it is personal preference.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely correct. No other criteria means as much. If you don't like, you sure won't carry and shoot it. My wife likes my 1911's, but has some wrist and forearm issues, so she can't handle the weight to shoot. But it doesn't keep her from admiring them.

A .45 has more recoil, but my girlfriend handles my 1911 just fine. I think she likes my 9mm's a little better. Personally, I think the M&P is a better carry gun because of capacity and weight difference. With that said, it has good trade value, and should go a long way in a trade for a 1911, especially for something like an RIA.

Wanting to trade my M&P9 for a 1911. Not sure where to do it. It is going to be MY first 1911 (not my husbands) I like the 45 much better than a 9mil.

So far the trade value has been like 350.00 in Clarksville and the 1911 I want is 618.00

So you are going to trade one of the top rated Tupperware duty pistols for one of the low rated 1911’s?

Is this 1911 you are looking at as accurate as the 1911 (your husbands) you made this compassion with?

so why do a lot of people think females would shoot better in a smaller round?

Because some men think because they can’t handle a .45; women can’t. They can’t handle the recoil or get back on target as fast they can with a smaller round. They figure if they can’t do it, being men and all… well you know the rest. ;)

I believe it is personal preference.

Well sure, but personal ability and the application for the gun should be considered.

It’s all about personal preferences and what you want in a pistol and many more women shoot the 1911 GM pistol well than realized. The 1911 platform can be the go to gun for pretty much anything simply by using different ammunition or springs. Going to an alloy frame can reduce weight and still be a controllable pistol with the right loading. It’s a true multi function, multi mission pistol platform.

None of this means it can’t be a problem ridden safe queen either, understanding how the pistol works is mandatory. Overwhelmingly most problems don’t require a gunsmith or someone smarter than the owner/shooter. Don’t try to make the pistol feed something it doesn’t like and if a magazine doesn’t work right try a new one.

Would I rather run a Glock or other striker fired defensive pistol most of the time instead of a 1911 GM in .45 ACP? Yes, I would. If the 1911 GM .45 ACP was all that I had would I feel less comfortable or confident? Nope. Let the end user decide and use whatever revolver or pistol best suits them.

Here is my question, a lot of gun owners tell me "your a female so you should keep the 9mm and not get the 1911 in .45" , I shoot much better the the 1911 in .45 than 9mil so why do a lot of people think females would shoot better in a smaller round? I believe it is personal preference.

I would not listen to any of them and I dont blame ya.......Id ditch that M&P for a 1911

every day of the week.......Earlier S&Ws IMO were way better than M&Ps,all metal and some

had 1911 characteristics in them......Metal guns in general IMO rule over plastic guns and that could

be various brands and models

but no one says you have to own one gun......U can keep the 9 and still buy a 45

after all this is TN.......

Current Blue Book prices for S&W M&P pretty much indicates you would be better off selling the M&P privately. I know one lightly built lady who carries a 1911 all day every day on her hip but it is an alloy frame 4". Great thing about the 1911 is that it can fit a wide variety of finger lengths and hand sizes by altering the slab thickness or shortening or lengthening the trigger shoe itself.

32d Ed of the Blue Book on S&W M&P.

[TABLE=class: text, align: center]

[TR=class: black10bold, bgcolor: #eeeeee]

[TD=width: 30%, align: left]Grading[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]100%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]98%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]95%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]90%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]80%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]70%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]60%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]MSR $569[/TD]

[TD]$425[/TD]

[TD]$350[/TD]

[TD]$315[/TD]

[TD]$285[/TD]

[TD]$260[/TD]

[TD]$230[/TD]

[TD]$200[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: text]

[TR]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: black10bold]Add $30 for .45 ACP cal.

Add $111 for night sights (new 2007, full size models only).

Add $240 for Crimson Trace laser grips (new 2008).

Add $39 for 5 in. barrel (disc. 2010).

Add $50 for Model 45C (compact) with 4 in. barrel.

Add $50 for ambidextrous manual safety with lanyard loop on non-compact models.

Add $50 for dark earth brown finish (.45 ACP cal. only).

Add $50 for M&P 9 Carry and Range Kit (new 2011).

Add $210 for M&P 9/40VTAC (new 2011).[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Current Blue Book prices for S&W M&P pretty much indicates you would be better off selling the M&P privately. I know one lightly built lady who carries a 1911 all day every day on her hip but it is an alloy frame 4". Great thing about the 1911 is that it can fit a wide variety of finger lengths and hand sizes by altering the slab thickness or shortening or lengthening the trigger shoe itself.

32d Ed of the Blue Book on S&W M&P.

[TABLE=class: text, align: center]

[TR=class: black10bold, bgcolor: #eeeeee]

[TD=align: left]Grading[/TD]

[TD]100%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]98%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]95%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]90%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]80%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]70%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]60%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]MSR $569[/TD]

[TD]$425[/TD]

[TD]$350[/TD]

[TD]$315[/TD]

[TD]$285[/TD]

[TD]$260[/TD]

[TD]$230[/TD]

[TD]$200[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: text]

[TR]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: black10bold]Add $30 for .45 ACP cal.

Add $111 for night sights (new 2007, full size models only).

Add $240 for Crimson Trace laser grips (new 2008).

Add $39 for 5 in. barrel (disc. 2010).

Add $50 for Model 45C (compact) with 4 in. barrel.

Add $50 for ambidextrous manual safety with lanyard loop on non-compact models.

Add $50 for dark earth brown finish (.45 ACP cal. only).

Add $50 for M&P 9 Carry and Range Kit (new 2011).

Add $210 for M&P 9/40VTAC (new 2011).[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

x2 resale and M&P not so good

Gun values are unimportant in choosing the proper pistol for your defense. You should choose the caliber and type of pistol, based on what you are comfortable with. My wife can shoot a 1911 45acp well, but prefers an XD40sc. I am comfortable with a variety of pistols, but prefer the 1911 platform.

Guest 1911Girl
My wife shoots my 1911 far better than my G19. I don't think you'll have any problems with a 1911. In fact, I'd wager your enjoy it even more.

I have shot a 1911a1 and I was accurate and loved that pistol then husband sold it and I got the mp9 , well let's just say I am realize big differences between 9mil and the 45!

I have shot a 1911a1 and I was accurate and loved that pistol then husband sold it and I got the mp9 , well let's just say I am realize big differences between 9mil and the 45!

Let me start by asking you a question: Is it the platform your interested in (1911 verses M&P) or is it the caliber (.45 verses 9mm)? The reason I ask is that you have made both statements. I agree if the M&P isnt what you want than by all means get what your most comfortable with and like! But you do know that M&Ps come in .45 caliber, right? Mine has a 4.5" barrel. If you dont have any experience with it you are more than welcome to shoot it if you would like to try it out.

I have a .45 caliber M&P with a 4.5" barrel, it is what I carry daily.

You would be better off selling the M&P and getting a 1911, but you will have to pony up more cash especially if you want a better 1911. However, the RIA, Metor Arms, Etc. aren't bad at all for the price.

Keep in mind you are comparing apples and oranges. The M&P is a better gun as far as weight, capacity, takedown, recoil, quick follow ups, etc. The 1911 is going to be more accurate and have a better overall trigger (although the M&P gets close with trigger work). Both have easy to find parts and power ( in SD loads) is statistically even. If you shoot the 1911 better and you don't mind carrying twice the weight and half the rounds of the M&P ... get it. Carry guns are lesson in compramise. Only you can determine what you are willing to trade.

If its a blued finish Taurus 1911 it should be priced faily under the $600.00 price range. Stainless might be at or slightly over the $600.00 price range. I suggest you find someone who has a Taurus 1911 pistol but want's a S&W M&P 9 and do a face to face trade. You'll probably find out the two of you can agree to a very fair trade.