How do you move your safe around?

Well I got a good deal on a Patriot Safe "Collector" 39 Gun Safe. I don't take delivery till March, but I paid under $2000 for the safe with a pistol rack and door organizer. The dimensions are 59X39X27 so I assume this safe will be pretty heavy. I was wondering what do you guys use to move your safe? Do I need to rent a dolly or pallet jack to get this thing inside my house?

I would just get the inside delivery option. I've moved a lot of radio broadcast transmitters over the years, some a little over 2000 lbs. I've even used safe jacks to move them, since it's real similar. Now I just hire the pros. Saves a lot of dents in the gear, floor, walls, and me.

• Like 1
Guest airborne1525

Buy those straps on the infomercial that you slide over your forearms. They claim you can move a house with them and since it's on tv, it had to be true, right??

Lol

Guest RebelWithACause
Mine is rather smaller than yours, but I had it delivered and put in by the people who sold it to me. Worth the money. When I moved I had 2 Men & A Truck move the safe along with everything else. Again, worth the money.

I have used 2 Men and a Truck on my last 2 moves. It was so worth not having to deal with the trouble, headache, time, and drunk friends that I will NEVER move myself again unless everything gets wiped out in a disaster and all I have is my BOB.

You didn't mention if there were any wooden stairs involved? If so, I would definately brace them up. Personally, I paid to have my 880 pound safe moved to its resting place. A local rental store had a four wheel dolly with straps rated at 1200 lbs. I could have rented but, I had a flash of common sense. At my age injuries take a long time to heal and missing smashed limbs even take longer :)

The only thing I had to do was remove one door frame to get the safe in. The best $225.00 I ever spent. Remember, when that safe starts moving, it won't stop on a dime.

Oh yea! If you move it yourself, make sure you level / brace your door thresh holds. Very important! Good luck!

I helped my father in law move his in. It is probably half the size of yours maybe a little more. I got it on a standard dolly, and thought it might rip my arms off at the shoulders. I got it moved but it was very taxing. Thankfully there were no stairs involved. If there had been we would have been screwed.

my safe has not been a problem I've only moved it once. My wifes Steinway grand piano however a different story. I've moved it 3 times over the years, NO MORE..... Like several others said, appliance hand truck and a friend or two. Be sure and bolt it down.

1" PVC pipe will do the job. You need 4 to 5 - 48" lengths or whatever the width of your safe is, then just place the PVC under the safe and roll. As one rolls out, place it in front, and repeat. When I purchased my 800lb safe 10 years ago, the place I bought it from told me about this technique, and it worked great. My wife guided me and I pushed. Simple but effective.

After moving 1000's of safes through the years weighing anywhere between 200 and 15,000 lbs I would agree with the advice that was given. If you move it yourself just take your time and don't drink the beer before you move the safe , just wait until you are finished.

If you would like someone to move it for you give us a call.

I'm with Raoul, 56FordGuy, and the others. Get younger, stronger, professionals to do it. You'll feel a lot better afterward, I guarantee it.

Got my first one in my mid 30's. It was about 700 lbs. Two of us cocky guys moved it out of a shop, onto a pickup truck, off the truck, up 4 front steps, thru an entrance door, 2 rooms into a small bedroom. A few years later, bought a 4' by 6' hazmat cabinet. About 400 lbs with all the shelves. Got it off a commercial 12' box truck by myself with a 1 1/2 piece of laminated plywood and a standard rubber-wheeled 2-wheel standup handtruck. Lucky I didn't break my neck, legs, arms, etc.

That was the last time I moved one around by myself other than using a small jack and pry bar to put furniture dollys under one to move it from one side of the room to the other and put on block and wood base. That was at about 50. I've gotten a whole lot smarter since then, I don't try to move more than my body weight, and that's enough these days; I get a pro to do it. It don't hurt the old man anymore.

And when I got my last safe this past fall....at about 850 lbs.....I didn't hesitate, or rather my wife didn't hesitate to tell me exactly what she would do if I was "stupid, ignorant, and foolish enough" to try.

It was worth the cost. I just told where I wanted it and got the heck outta the way.

Then spent the evening filling and placing all the goodies inside.

Guest Skeeter
Thanks guys,

i will make some calls to see what the prices to install are. But its honestly a straight shot to its resting spot (two doors, no stairs) so I will still decide on friends/beer/dollies. Thanks!

Remove the Door, ( put a Strap on the bottom ) as not to pinch your hand.

Remove any loose interior components.

Walk the Safe body one edge ( not corner ) at a time onto a four caster dolly.

When you get to your Installation Location and off the dolly pry bars and 2x4 lever into place.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's all at ground level, get some pieces of pipe about the width of the safe, 4-8 pieces, to use as rollers. We moved the wide/tall TSC Cannon model in that way. I think it's about 700lbs. Dad and I did it without straining a bit. Had to go up one step as well. If you take your time and use various simple machines to your advantage, it's not that bad (as long as you aren't going up steps).

If you aren't familiar with the tricks of moving large heavy equipment, it would be easier and safer to pay someone.

Edited by smopoim86

Thanks guys,

i will make some calls to see what the prices to install are. But its honestly a straight shot to its resting spot (two doors, no stairs) so I will still decide on friends/beer/dollies. Thanks!

As long as it's a straight shot and smaller than door openings, it shouldn't be too difficult. It was the turns and hallways that made mine a challenge.