Ruger 10/22 Option Help

gunrunner32

So, by getting my wife into shooting I learned over a period of time working with her that she is left eye dominant. I have since been teaching her to shoot rifles with her left hand so she be a little more accurate. She shoots pistols just fine right handed, so this has been a trick.

I have a 10/22 set aside for my daughter that is already done up with a nice target style stock, bipod, scope and bull barrel. I have 3 more 10/22's in the works for my wife, my dad and myself. I've already gotten a Green Mountain stainless bull barrel for my wife's 10/22 and in sticking with the scheme she likes, she wants a stainless gun with a walnut stock. There comes my problem. I want to get her a target style stock, but I would like to be able to shoot it as well. As I shoot with the "correct" hand, I don't want to conform to her leftist ways. I have seen the Boyd's Evolution stock and I like it quite a bit, I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across any other options for walnut/laminated brown on brown ambidextrous stocks for the 10/22.

Along with that, what is a good inexpensive scope that I could use. I threw a cheapo from Wally World on there for the time being, but was wanting to know what some other good options were.

Lastly, for my build I was looking at the Whistle Pig Octagonal barrel. I like the way it looks and with a black to grey anodized fade on it I think it would look pretty cool in a Peppered laminate stock. Does anyone have any experience with Whistle Pig?

In my search for the "answers" I read "Customize The Ruger 10/22" by James E. House. Good book full of good information, but didn't narrow it down for me. If anything it gave me more options to think about.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had an Evolution on a previous 10/22 build and am using a Blaster on the gun I have now. Boyds make excellent products that really can't be beat for the money. I believe thier Tacticool stock is ambi also. Another site to check out is www.stockysstocks.com. Similar to Boyds. Or www.rifle-stocks.com. There is a guy in Manchester TN that hand builds stocks. Seen his work..wow, dude can checker a stock now! I could get his info if your interested. AS for "good" inexpensive scope. You will get a million opinions here. Redfield is hard to beat for the money. American owned and operated, crystal clear glass and 1/3 the price of a Leupold. Cant give advice on the octagonal barrel. I have a GM fluted stainless on mine. Sounds like you have done some homework, and plan to build a great little plinker.

Edited by 2006Blackpearl931

The biggest deal on a 10-22 is the RHO bolt. You may be able to fix that with an AR style bolt, using one of the tactical 10-22 builds, but in general that is going to stay on the right side and be a pain forever. THe rest of it can be modified as needed, but all I can think of is the safety, the generic stocks are neutral, the mag release is neutral, what is left?

I like what the folks at Richards product, maybe I'll have to throw one of the on "dad's" build. A nice grade A walnut Monte Carlo stock with a stainless action and barrel would look good. For my wife's it looms like I'm going to go with the Boyd's SS Evolution since it's only $100 and the Nutmeg color will look pretty good and fit her wants with my needs. I've spent roughly the last hour going through stock sites that have Ruger 10/22 stocks. The best looking stocks that I came across AR the Tomahawk Apache stocks, that Turkish Walnut is amazing looking, but at 1200 for the wood and another 200 or so for the work, I think I'll have to pass. Sillnthough if you haven't seen it check it out: www.luxusguntock.com

As for the lefty thing goes, my wife is left eye dominant so I've been working n her to shoot rifles left handed. I shoot everything right handed, I'm just looking for ambidextrous stock options for her so she is comfortable shooting it, it still has the target styling I'm going for on these 10/22s and with it being an ambi, I can shoot it no problem as well. Requirements are as follows; walnut/like hardwood or a brown on brown laminate, accommodate a bull barrel and be ambidextrous. The only ones that I have found are either over 200$ or they don't come in the color choice listed above. Since I have 3 more to build out, I want to keep the cost relatively low where I can. I don't skimp on the barrel or the bolt and trigger upgrades so the stock and scope are where I make due with something a little less expensive.

Edited by gunrunner32
dont know what you consider inexpensive, but nikon makes a nice prostaff rimfire scope.

I'd like to keep it under the 200$ range, I've checked out some Nikons on Cabelas, they seemed to get good reviews on other sites as well.

I haven't checked out and Redfield scopes yet, I've also thought about checking out Millet scopes.

Well I did a thorough search on RFC for ambi stocks, I like the design of the T-Rex stock, but doesn't come in the color choices that you appease my wife. The Vantage stock unfortunately doesn't come in the color I'm looking for either. Great stocks though for the rifle I'll make for myself, but I'm a little easier to please than my wife.

Edit*** Nevermind on the Millet scopes, even if one were a rimfire scope I could only assume it would be out of m price range.

Edited by gunrunner32

Start with the warranty on the scope. If it has a lifetime, then look at the price & features, if not, look again. You should be able to get a pretty good one for a .22 for 200, esp if you are looking at a low, fixed power type, like the typical 4X power offerings.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but shouldn't eye dominance only be an issue with a "both eyes open" sight picture? I can't figure out how it would have any effect while using a scope.

My wife being the genius she is tried to shoot my AR right handed for the first time and I didn't think nothing of it until she started trying to use her left eye to aim with...while shooting right handed. I have a friend at with who as the same issue. It's much easier for him to shoot rifles left handed and pistols with either hand, mainly sticks with the right. I can't really shoot using my left eye thanks to a bad astigmatism, so I've never really been able to see what the difference is.

Either way, at the end of the it's about her comfort level when shooting. She likes pistols right handed and rifles left handed. I want her to like shooting because most of my other recreational activities she doesn't like to join in on.