Piriformus pain and CCW

Guest jmoe816

Guest jmoe816

I have talked about this in other forums but thought I would post here as well...

CCW is important to me. I have invested a lot into my guns and want to carry them, especially in Memphis.

Lately, however, I have gotten to the point where it's physically hard to carry. I am 28 yrs old, pretty inactive, and sit at a desk all day. I am 6'1", 210lbs, so I am overweight. I fill out well, so its sometimes not so noticeable (some people still say I'm skinny).

I prefer to carry at 4 o'clock. But have been experiencing pain in my hip/butt region and carrying there puts a lot of pressure on my piriformus and makes it hurt a lot more. I have been to a doctor who said I had sciatica and recommended different stretches. I do some (but not all) stretches regularly. The pain has subsided a little but is still there, especially when I carry.

I bought a smaller gun (Kel-Tec PF9) and have tried numerous holsters. Still, carrying at 4 o'clock doesn't work. I tried appendix carry with a new holster (approx 1 o'clock). This is OK at best. i can manage, but my gut doesn't like the gun being there.

I have just started an exercise routine. I'm also doing more stretches and using a foam roller. I think if I can stick with it and strengthen the painful area that it will alleviate the pain. I hope to get back to the point where i can carry regularly.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excercise and stretching are great for most problems especially sciatica. I had a pretty rough year with it most of 2010. This past Sept I began taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin and within 6 weeks my sciatica ,arthritris, and swelling in my feet and lower legs were much better. I sold on it.

I have one pair of jeans that make the hip opposite of where i carry IWB hurt like hell.

If i wear them pants to work i don't strap on the gun. Sucks but they are my best work jeans so i deal with it. Carry the gun in my bag instead.

+1 for exercise and stretching. But only correct exercises and stretches. I'm 10 years older than you are, but the only time I have those aches and pains are when I get lazy and neglect my fitness routine. Sounds like you're already on the right path to recovery.

When I do end up with pains due to restrictions or injury, I go see a sports chiropractor. The guy I see doesn't just make adjustments. He prescribes strengthening and stretches for the specific injury and also for restrictions that will lead to an eventual pain.

So do ALL the exercises regularly. Maybe make time 3-4 days a week to get in a full workout. It doesn't have to be hours long. Short, very high-intensity workouts have been more effective for me.

Good luck,

Will

Guest jmoe816
Excercise and stretching are great for most problems especially sciatica. I had a pretty rough year with it most of 2010. This past Sept I began taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin and within 6 weeks my sciatica ,arthritris, and swelling in my feet and lower legs were much better. I sold on it.

interesting. I'm assuming your sciatica was caused by disc issues then?

Mine is more from inflexibility and being weak. Unfortunately my answer to to get off my fat arse and do something.

I am not too overweight (low carbin' has dropped me back to a half decent weight) but I am less active than I could be & have a cushy desk job. I have always had a cushy desk job, so I quickly moved to pocket carry over the other methods and have always favored smallish carry guns for this reason. You just cannot beat a modern micro-sized 9mm or 380 in your front pocket during the day. I also bought one of those gun-carry 'day planners' that I keep at work, so if the gun were to bother me I could put it in there and have it hidden in plain sight @ my desk. Out and about, walking around, I still tend to stick to pocket carry but sometimes I mix it up, and have a couple of guns that, even if they still FIT in a pocket, are much larger than the ones I use when sitting down, for example I can stuff my px4 .40 cal into jeans pockets on the weekend but it is a bit much when trying to sit down with that thing.

I have one pair of jeans that make the hip opposite of where i carry IWB hurt like hell.

If i wear them pants to work i don't strap on the gun. Sucks but they are my best work jeans so i deal with it. Carry the gun in my bag instead.

I have similar problem. Best I can tell, the pants are too tight (or not stretchy enough) for IWB. My belt digs in opposite the gun and creates as sore spot on that hip. I find myself pocket carrying my 380 more often because of it.

To the OP.... try yoga. Manly men may poke fun, but it's fantastic for building core strength and increasing flexibility. My wife bought some DVD's that we use at home. One of our new year's resolutions was to get back to exercising more often. We've done the 30 min program 3-5x per week for a couple weeks and I can tell a significant difference in how I feel. Most fitness places offer classes. Sometimes the scenery is nice too. :)

Guest Broomhead

I used to have the fat arse problem, now I have the no arse problem. I've dropped 186lbs after my Gastric Bypass in December 2010 (had the surgery to try to help the nerve damage in my back, L5-S1). I don't know how you skinny folks can handle sitting in hard chairs!

My hips are too angled to carry at 2:30-3:30, and anything past 3:30 kills my back. I started appendix carrying with my Kel-Tecs and I have to say, even carrying my P-11, I'm hooked. I like pocket and appendix carrying my P-3AT better, but I've been having reliability with it and don't trust it.

Anyway, keep up with the stretches, they do help some with my nerve damage.

Guest jmoe816
I used to have the fat arse problem, now I have the no arse problem. I've dropped 186lbs after my Gastric Bypass in December 2010 (had the surgery to try to help the nerve damage in my back, L5-S1). I don't know how you skinny folks can handle sitting in hard chairs!

My hips are too angled to carry at 2:30-3:30, and anything past 3:30 kills my back. I started appendix carrying with my Kel-Tecs and I have to say, even carrying my P-11, I'm hooked. I like pocket and appendix carrying my P-3AT better, but I've been having reliability with it and don't trust it.

Anyway, keep up with the stretches, they do help some with my nerve damage.

Thanks! What type of holster are you using for your Kel-Tec appendix carry? I have tried two different holsters but currently use the 'Bare Asset' by High Noon Holsters.

Thanks! What type of holster are you using for your Kel-Tec appendix carry? I have tried two different holsters but currently use the 'Bare Asset' by High Noon Holsters.

IMO, any holster that adds the attachment at the already thickest part of the whole shebang is less than optimal.

- OS

Guest Broomhead

Um...I use and even more Bare holster than that, and I'm sure I'll get bashed for it. I use a pocket clip from KT. The trigger pull on my P-11 is somewhere in the 8-10lbs range and very long. Therefore, you have to intentionally pull the trigger to make it fire. The P-3AT's trigger is slightly lighter but still long. However, because it is smaller, the whole trigger area rides right behind my belt and snug against it forming a cover over the trigger similar to a holster. Again, with both guns, you have to intentionally pull the trigger hard, and fully to the end of it's travel to fire the gun. I feel comfortable and safe carry as I am, though, I may need to come up with another option this summer because i do sweat a lot.

Also, try not cinching your belt down quite as tight. You may need to tug your pants up a little bit more often, but it will feel more comfortable not cramming your gun into your body.

Edited by Broomhead
Guest jmoe816
Um...I use and even more Bare holster than that, and I'm sure I'll get bashed for it. I use a pocket clip from KT. The trigger pull on my P-11 is somewhere in the 8-10lbs range and very long. Therefore, you have to intentionally pull the trigger to make it fire. The P-3AT's trigger is slightly lighter but still long. However, because it is smaller, the whole trigger area rides right behind my belt and snug against it forming a cover over the trigger similar to a holster. Again, with both guns, you have to intentionally pull the trigger hard, and fully to the end of it's travel to fire the gun. I feel comfortable and safe carry as I am, though, I may need to come up with another option this summer because i do sweat a lot.

Also, try not cinching your belt down quite as tight. You may need to tug your pants up a little bit more often, but it will feel more comfortable not cramming your gun into your body.

Thanks. I have a Kel-Tec PF9 so I fully understand the trigger pull. I tried the belt clip and liked it. i felt safe with it. My problem was that it wouldn't stay tight. After about 20 rounds it started to come lose. I understand that I would not be firing 20 rounds (hopefully) in a real life situation, but I just had a problem with the clip coming off. I know I could put some loctite on them, but that kind of bothers me too.

I've already switched to a bigger pant size, but unfortunately i grew into them. :) The addition of a real gun belt has made a positive difference though.

Guest Broomhead

I actually didn't like the location that Kel-Tec chose for the clips to be attached. I wanted the clip further towards the rear for less of a profile above my belt. I use 3M's permanent outdoor foam mounting tape. Said it'll hold up to like 5lbs and withstand any of the elements. I've been using it for about 6mos now and it doesn't even wiggle or flex. Nothing these days is permanent and it can be easily removed with Goof Off or the likes.

Here's the stuff: Scotch® Outdoor Mounting Tape: _45_15_Scotch® Outdoor Mounting Tape

I take the Spring Valley brand from walmart as does my wife , and it helps her but not to the extent it has me. My care provider at the VA suggest I take the glucosomine chondroitin with tomato juice so I'll do that occasionally. My sciatica is from an arthritic disc and the arthritis and sciatica are much better. Not everyone gets the same results.