SEALs raid pirate compound and rescue hostages

strickj

Reason number 2,407 why SEALs are bad ass

A U.S. official says that the rescue mission began around 2 a.m. local time as team of Navy SEALs parachuted into the area near the desert encampment where the two aid workers were being held. US Africa Command said in a statement that the raid took place in the vicinity of Gadaado, Somalia

As they approached the camp the official says there was a firefight and that there were no American casualties. US Africa Command said that the nine Somali captors were all killed in the firefight.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/navy-seals-rescue-two-aid-workers-in-somalia-in-daring-raid/

They showed a video presumably from this raid on the news but I'm unable to find a link to it yet

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"As they approached the camp, the official said, there was a firefight and that there were no U.S. casualties. U.S. Africa Command said that the nine Somali captors were all killed in the firefight."

Minimum force to stop the threat, I'm sure. :)

Great going, guys!

- OS

Awesome rescue and SEALs are beasts... but a friend of mine brought up a good point. These must not be ordinary Americans or aid workers if they were only held captive for 3 months and the U.S. sends SEALs to rescue them. Far more other Americans have been captive in other areas of the world, including Africa, and held for much longer periods of time, and no such rescue.

Awesome rescue and SEALs are beasts... but a friend of mine brought up a good point. These must not be ordinary Americans or aid workers if they were only held captive for 3 months and the U.S. sends SEALs to rescue them. Far more other Americans have been captive in other areas of the world, including Africa, and held for much longer periods of time, and no such rescue.

+1

I'm thinking CIA operatives

Eh, a combination of opportunity and timing probably played into it. There are claims of a medical condition that hasted the process as well. I don't think the CIA would be conducting source operations from within the borders of Somalia considering there are plenty of countries bordering the region which are much more permissive environments. The borders are porous enough and it's not uncommon for folks in the region to travel back and forth. Besides, the guy was from Denmark and they're all pacifists or something.

On the other hand, what's up with the SEALs getting all the good missions handed down? Did someone at Delta bang a Joint Chief's daughter or something?

Eh, a combination of opportunity and timing probably played into it. There are claims of a medical condition that hasted the process as well. I don't think the CIA would be conducting source operations from within the borders of Somalia considering there are plenty of countries bordering the region which are much more permissive environments. The borders are porous enough and it's not uncommon for folks in the region to travel back and forth. Besides, the guy was from Denmark and they're all pacifists or something.

On the other hand, what's up with the SEALs getting all the good missions handed down? Did someone at Delta bang a Joint Chief's daughter or something?

+1

LOL, on both counts. Creepy, how your 2nd one crossed my mind EXACTLY.

I always figured that on these high profile missions that it would be a mix of guys (Army CAG, DEVGRU, CIA SAD, PJ's, SOAR, etc.). See Task Force 121.

Maybe they figure the media will screw it up less if they just say one unit carried out the mission?

Anyway, great job to the guys who got the job done.

I always figured that on these high profile missions that it would be a mix of guys (Army CAG, DEVGRU, CIA SAD, PJ's, SOAR, etc.). See Task Force 121.

Maybe they figure the media will screw it up less if they just say one unit carried out the mission?

Anyway, great job to the guys who got the job done.

Well just like any of the tier 1 task forces there will be a mixture of elements mixed in... such as 160th flying for them, and perhaps some CAG guys along for the ride and at the TOC... maybe PJs on standby in case things go bad or even on the assault element. I guess the point I was bringing up is that they've repeatedly used DG guys as the assault force to cover down on these high profile hits that are outside Iraq/Afghanistan. I would think by now Delta would have been tasked with one of these since hostage rescue is their thing and they don't get to do it often now with Iraq being shut down.... they gotta be hatin' on the DG guys right now.