Just got worn out about the 92fs

Guest lostpass

With the 92FS, two 30 round mags, a number of extra GI contract mags, and the matching Sub2000, I'll take on Mr. Li.

- OS

Whatcha need all that crap for? Just show up with that double barrel, your whiskey bottle and that same look in yer eye and he'll run for the hills.

Guest Lester Weevils

My first inox 92fs is made-in-usa late 1990's. Everything on that one is shiny metal inside and out. No black parts and no plastic. Well maybe there is some little bit of plastic down in there somewhere if you look hard enough.

I think 2010 or 2011 got a made in italy inox 92fs from Sportsmans Warehouse. I think they did a beretta anniversary run of them. Everything on the new one outside and inside is also shiny metal, no plastic. Except the guide rod is plastic.

Am glad the new one was all silvery metal too. Maybe I could eventually decide that the inox 92's with black trigger and safety are aesthetically pleasing, but I like it all silver parts.

The new one shot great right out of the box. Was pleased with the QC on the new one.

The old one shoots great but needed some breakin. The old one was reliable out of the box but it shot looser groups out of the box until about 1000 rounds then it tightened up. Call me crazy. Maybe so. Dunno why that would happen. That was in comparison to a previous 92FS that was beat up and nearly worn out, which was a tack-driver.

Haven't had a lick of trouble out of either.

The plastic guide rod in the new one worked fine, but got a stainless guide rod from midway just on principle, which seems to work no better and no worse than the plastic one. The stainless guide rod is more aesthetically pleasing anyway. Maybe it is a wolf stainless guide rod, or maybe some other brand, can't recall.

• 1 year later...

I love my Glocks, ect, but I always have a place in my heart for the 92F. I carried one in Iraq, and it came in handy a few times. Might be my own personal opinion, but it feels like the most accurate 9mm I have shot, "regular" guns, not custom ones, of course.

I have the same soft spot for 92. After a few hundred rounds through a Glock I found out I shot them as good or better. To me the 92's are big and boring, but reliable. I shot some M11's, in my days but actually preferred the M-9's.

I know several local officers that carry them in their patrol cars as back up weapons. I've always loved the 92fs.

Thread revival, so I'm chime in again.

I love them also, have two, a blued and a stainless.

Irony is that I don't shoot them as well as my XDs, but love the look and feel of them. Here's Evil Black and Purty Blonde. :)

Baretta92-both.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thread revival, so I'm chime in again.

I love them also, have two, a blued and a stainless.

Irony is that I don't shoot them as well as my XDs, but love the look and feel of them. Here's Evil Black and Purty Blonde. :)

Baretta92-both.jpg

- OS

OS this is all your fault. After you posted about these, I just had to do it.

I got mine today! She's a beauty.

And no, the wife doesn't know yet. I told her I was thru buying for a while...at least til I sold a few more.

If I'm missing after tonight...she found it.

• Like 1

I actually shoot the 92FS the best of most of the handguns I've shot, it is just too damn bulky to conceal well. It was fine on a thigh holster, as mentioned, military sidearms don't have to plan on being concealed.

If caught, tell her it's my fault, and I accept full responsibility in every way -- except pecuniary. :)

- OS

Seriously though, the strange thing is that I really don't usually keep any of the Berettas that I've bought over the years. And I've had a bunch of them.

My issue is similar to yours in that my hands are really just a bit too small for the Beretta grips. But I always seem to have one or two around.

I have a Desert Storm Commerative that I picked up NIB about 3 years ago, and a "Beretta Pistol Pak" as it said on one of the papers with it. It's a 9mm/40 combo with both uppers. I've had it since they were produced, and don't really remember just exactly how long ago it was.

And you'd be right if you guessed that I've fired neither one. Just too pretty to look at to dirty them up.

And I have shot several that I've owned. Nice range guns, just not my first choice or even second.

But dang...that Inox is sweet. If I'm not careful I might end up with a SS or nickel next.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

A small point that someone else may have made, but the 92FS didn't have slides blow off, that was the 92F.  The FS specifically fixed that by changing the design of a minor part.. 

Then they fixed the metallurgy that was causing a part to break in the first place, making the "S" design change no longer necessary, but there was no reason to take the change back out, so now it's double fixed.

I love my 92. Hands down my favorite gun. The only thing I've ever shot that I think I like about as we'll is a CZ75B.

Then they fixed the metallurgy that was causing a part to break in the first place, making the "S" design change no longer necessary, but there was no reason to take the change back out, so now it's double fixed.

I love my 92. Hands down my favorite gun. The only thing I've ever shot that I think I like about as we'll is a CZ75B.

Sacrilage!! Comparing the wonder that is the CZ75B to the 92FS? :stunned:  :squint:

• Like 1

I didn't much care for the beretta 92F's..those are the only models I've shot, back in my military days.  I must confess though, that I trained on the 1911 and used it in combat so I'm a bit biased.
It's also interesting to note that the marines just spent 22.5 million bucks to go BACK to the 1911, but that's another story.

Like Hipower, I didn't like the ergonomics of the pistol...it didn't feel right to me. As I said, I AM biased though.

My browning hi power mkIII, though..it still shoots as good today as it did the day I bought it. it has been my constant companion for many years and my oldest and truest friend.  I won't be giving it up, nor my 1911.
If you kind folks are willing to indulge me, I am a follower of Saint Browning.

Thousands of rounds through multiple M9's and with the exception of 1 broken trigger spring, every malfunction i have ever had was due to magazine issues.  Learned pretty quick in the Army to buy and carry your own magazines and use the old ones that have been cycled way to many times without spring replacement for range use only. 

Thousands of rounds through multiple M9's and with the exception of 1 broken trigger spring, every malfunction i have ever had was due to magazine issues. Learned pretty quick in the Army to buy and carry your own magazines and use the old ones that have been cycled way to many times without spring replacement for range use only.

You'd really be shocked at how many locking blocks I've broken on M9s. Doesn't seem to be a problem with civi 92Fs or maybe folks just aren't putting as many hard miles on them. Somewhere between 500-1000 rounds per day for several days at a time could be it, or perhaps the military stamped locking blocks are different metallurgy than the civi ones. Best I can tell from locking blocks my personal 92F and an issued one is the stamp.

I carry one everyday when I go fly. Not my favorite pistol but it goes bang everytime and the bullet go roughly where I want them too. Its a pistol, not  a sniper rifle. Would I buy one? MAYBE, but I dont think I could pay more than about $350 for one( I dont care what market value is or isnt..its just what the M9 shooting experience is worth to ME)

I didn't much care for the beretta 92F's..those are the only models I've shot, back in my military days.  I must confess though, that I trained on the 1911 and used it in combat so I'm a bit biased.
It's also interesting to note that the marines just spent 22.5 million bucks to go BACK to the 1911, but that's another story.

Like Hipower, I didn't like the ergonomics of the pistol...it didn't feel right to me. As I said, I AM biased though.

My browning hi power mkIII, though..it still shoots as good today as it did the day I bought it. it has been my constant companion for many years and my oldest and truest friend.  I won't be giving it up, nor my 1911.
If you kind folks are willing to indulge me, I am a follower of Saint Browning.

Odd, you would have thought they would have used the G21, but I guess it would have to go through an approval process or whatever.

I also noticed that they spent millions on the IAR, to get a rifle that looks pretty much like an M4, not sure where that project went.

We wouldn't have to spend all that money going back to the 1911 if we just said screw "rules of war" and let our people use bullets that actually were effective, like hollowpoints.