Need some Help

I wan't to do some artwork using non live rounds. I want to get/make some rounds that look like a real round but have no powder or primer, just the shell and bullet. I do not know if there is a place that sells these or how easy it would be to make at home even though I don't have a reloading setup. I want it to look as good as if they were factory. What items would I need to do this and what is a round about cost per round. I think I want to start with 223 and see how that works.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, you can buy them, they are called "snap caps" or a couple of other terms. But those have a real case filled with plastic, the plastic fills the primer hole and is also the fake bullet. They are usually a gaudy orange plastic.

If you want realish ones, any reloader can make you some. Reload with no powder or primer and fill the primer pocket with a blob of solder, for example, would look pretty realistic.

You could use a lee loader (cheap!) or just hammer the bullets in gently. You dont need a press to do this. Just a trip to buy some brass & bullets.

the cost is pretty low, how many? 100 slugs and 100 brass should not be over say $20 tops, probably less. If you just wanted a few, someone may help you out. You *could* try to kill live primers if you want it to look better or use "used" primers but those have the firing pin dent. Someone out there may even sell fake primers, I dunno about that. I bet you could make a box of 50 of these using new brass for $5 or so, but the problem is you would have left over materials at that rate because you buy in bulk to get less per round when reloading.... to get that low you may have the stuff to make 500.

Your best bet really is to get a buddy with a reloading station to do it so they look better, they will all be seated the same for example whereas the hammer approach is less consistent. And he can keep the extra supplies.

Edited by Jonnin

I would get Breech Lock Hand Press and a used set of dies somewhere and your rounds will look as good as any.

And to deactivate the primer I would use WD-40. Safety Points

NOTE: If a primer should become lodged in a primer magazine or pick-up tube, deactivate the primers that are in the tube. Do this by filling the tube with oil, WD-40 or CRC lubricating solution. After you have done this, throw the tube away and call us for a new one, which we will ship to you at no charge.

You can buy cases at a local outdoor range near me for $3 per pound, but I'm certain you can just wonder around a range and find more than you could ever need. I would try this at indoor ranges that allow rifle fire. Outdoor ranges would take an extra step to clean mud and dirt from the case. If you are a shooter though, problem solved and if you don't own an AR then this is the best reason I have heard yet to get one.

Post some pics when you get something finished.

I did not know that a hammer could work. I do own a .223 and will be making a trip to the range really soon. I will try the hammer route first and then might try a hand press if it looks bad. Thanks for the info, I might try buying the brass bullet belt if I continue to do more projects. Where would be the best place to buy the slugs.

• 2 weeks later...

I could make you some but the cost approaches that bullet belt listed above. My cheap 55 grain FMJ bullets cost about .09 each (bought in bulk box of 6000) and once-fired brass is worth something near that. So around .20 each round excluding the labor for cleaning and assembling vs. around .20 each round on that belt and you also get some cool links that might be useful in your art work.

If you want to DIY with your own used brass we can work out a deal for some of the bullets out of my box as they get more expensive if you want to buy small quantities.

Now that I look at it I might order one of those belts myself, would be a nice decoration over the reloading bench :-)

Edited by RichardS