Danzig 1902 Gewehr 98

Guest jth_3s

Guest jth_3s

someone help me out I have been trying to find information on this Mauser but I cant seem to find anything. It was my great grandaddys and noone in my family knows anything about it.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/jth3s/?action=view&current=img_1109.jpg

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/jth3s/?action=view&current=img_1113.jpg

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/jth3s/?action=view&current=img_1112.jpg

Edited by jth_3s
Guest gcrookston

Danzig was one of the imperial arsenals, prior to WWI. It was turned over to the Poles in 1919, reclaimed by the Germans in 1940, recaptured in 1945. If you can post some picks of the right side of the receiver, I can tell you where else the rifle has been. There will be a line of proof marks there. From left to right you'll have an arsenal proof, a general inspector (maybe two) proof, and army depot acceptance proof and finally the depot distribution proof.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston

It's a pretty straight forward Gew 98. There is no 4th proof, which would signify an independent state (such as Prussia) and it was most likely issued to the Imperial German Army. What is interesting is the strike out and renumber of the bolt, indicating at some point it was either refurbed or simply mismatched. do the new numbers on the bolt match the rest of the rifle? If so, the former is most likely. Still, I would have a gunsmith check the headspace before firing. There was a reason all the parts were matched by # -- they were all hand fitted, and significant variations can and do occur from one to the next.

It looks to be a real treasure. Many were brought home by returning troops of the AEF. 1,000s more were imported in the 1920's. Should it say "Germany" anywhere upon it, it was an import. But from the looks of the pictures, I would be surprised if it were. Great find!

Guest jth_3s

All of the numbers are matching and the bolt numbers that are slashed out match the rest of the gun. I just found out my great grandaddy bought it at some kind of army sale in South Carolina after WWI. I've shot it several times and it shoots pretty good. I wouldnt be interested in selling it but do you have any idea what its worth? I cant find it in the Blue book.

Guest gcrookston

For an original, all matching and near perfect example, $1,000+ is not uncommon. It falls pretty fast from there. Mismatches and forced matches rarely bring over $400.00, unless there is something specifically unique about them. As every part was numbered, even the screws, I've seen serious collectors discount a near mint example by several hundred dollars for an unnumbered firing pin.