Do you shop at Wal-Mart?

This.

There are two sides to every story and I am sure we are not going to get the other side here. I have trouble believing a chain like Kroger would allow anyone to be fired because they have cancer.

If it matters, I have been diagnosed with cancer and know what that feels like. So far I have been doing well as a survivor; I hope your son is doing the same.

My son is 2 years out of chemo and he's completing his third year at UT. I agree it was probably a bad manager, but I will not change my mind. I've never gone into a Kroger store since and won't ever again. Publix, Sam's Club, and Wal-Mart is where I buy my food.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boatme99

I only go to WM for a few things. Individual bottles of motor oil, windshield fluid, prepay phone cards, Wrangler jeans, and ammo. Everything else, I'll travell 40+ miles for. I don't buy any food there at all.

If you've been in retail, you know there are three levels of stores from the distributor: A, B, & C. The WW where I live is a C store. They get the worst food available. Most veggies are on the verge of rot, meat is low grade and full of fat, milk is good for about 3 days before souring, and canned goods are limited to 1 or 2 brands to choose from.

I'll go to a town about 40 miles away once every 10 days or so and hit a Publix or Krogers. Like wise for any clothes other than Wranglers.

I will never shop at Kroger and encourage others to do so as well. My reason is very simple. My oldest son used to work there and had to miss a day of work to have a biopsy done to determine if he had cancer (he did). He spoke with the store manager to explain he just had a biopsy done and would need a couple of days to recover. He was fired during that phone conversation. Just imagine as a 19 year old, the same day you're diagnosed with cancer, your boss fires you because you HAVE cancer. Those bastards can rot in hell and I'll starve before they EVER get a penny from me!!! Please shop anywhere but Kroger.

If that had happened to my son, my new hobby would have been sitting in front of the store on weekends with a sign that said, "My son got fired for having cancer". Then once I was there, I call a news station or two. If the manager came out and said he could have his job back I'd tell him to get lost.

Guest dubaholic2

i avoid walmart if at all possible, but basically for the same reason as metioned above- the people. i hate having to navigate around all the morons to try and find what im looking for. also, i dont buy food there. i do my grocery shopping at kroger. i understand some people dont like kroger for one reaosn or another, but its by far the best grocery store we have here in ftn. city, and their customer service has been second to none.

I'm on my way there now. Where else could I buy silicone sealant, a pipe wrench, and groceries at 4 am?

- OS

edit: Back. Among the purchases made: GE Silicone Sealant, MainStays bathroom wall cabinet, couple of Plano fishing/small parts boxes, lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, and mushrooms: wait for it...

... all made in the USA, and the mushrooms are from right here in Loudon!

ps: didn't need a pipe wrench, just used it as example.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I love Walmart. I'm also from Arkansas and remember stories about my great grandfather opening the 2nd Walmart in Harrison, AR and his stories of his friends the Walton's, so I guess I'm partial. I find it funny how people tout the American Dream until it's too successful! Doesn't mean I like everything they do these days, but come on! How much more American Dream can it get?