Saw something interstign today

I was in a shop looking at AR's.

They had one that was DPMS but obviously an older one based on the cast lower. But the upper was more of a LMG upper. It had a very heavy barrel. Under the handguards the barrel was 1.5" at least and in front of the SAW styled handguard the barrel was 1+". It had a carry handle in addition to the carry handle sight.

The gun as a whole weighed about 15 pounds and looked like a LMG more so than an AR.

I do remember seeing them back in the early 90's but haven't seen one since.

Here is a picture of how it looked.

ttp://www.coltcanada.com/lsw-page.htm

And it was reasonable enough I might go back on Monday and take a closer look and maybe put it on layaway.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be sweet if someone found an old Colt LMG upper and just put it on the DPMS lower. I have always loved the look of the LMG. If it is a Colt, the rear of the receiver will be re-enforced and it will have a huge gas tube that will also be thicker than a standard one. The orginal LMG's were open bolt, but the upper can be ran on a standard closed bolt lower.

If it is an LMG upper, they bring big bucks. If you decide to pass on it PM the info of the shop as I would like to get some more info. Here are some more pics of the LMG upper.

MACHINE GUNS FOR SALE - AUTOWEAPONS.COM

Do you have any idea of value?

The upper looks like it is in mint condition but the lower is well used, the upper is 95%.

This is exactly what is looks like:

colt_m16a2_lmg-1.jpg

To give credit where credit is due, the image is from this website:

Modern Firearms - M16 LSW / LMG

The upper and lower obviously are not a matched set. The upper looks more modern and much nicer than the DPMS cast lower.

If I get it I will keep it but want to make sure I am going to not get taken.

Thanks

Dolomite

Hesse/Vulcan made a LMG copy upper. They were A3's and sell for less than $600. And they are junk. They just look like the LMG. Most of the time the fit and finish is bad. If it is a Hesse/Vulcan it will have a standard gas tube in it.

If is a Colt if will have a bigger gas tube. Like almost twice the size of a regular one and it will be thicker. Just the uppers sell for $1500+-.

I am going back to look at it. I hate to drive all the way back out to Clinton to find out it is a junker. Any time in a vehicle, especially to Clinton form where I live and back, puts me in bed for the day.

I do know the rear take down pin wouldn't seat flush. The lower is a piece of junk DPMS cast lower from the 80's-90's . This fact alone screams Hesse/Vulcan as the majority of the Hesse/Vulcan guns I have seen that don;t have their lowers have DPMS lowers.

Anything else to look for? Forging marks, odd machining on the bolt?

I am not sure what to think right now. I suspect it is a Vulcan/Hesse based on what I have been reading.

Dolomite

On a side note I was able to find a very nice write up on the port firing variant of the AR, one of my favorite variants that I will never be able to own.