How did Naifeh get elected Speaker of the House?

I thought I saw a link to this info before on this site but I couldn't find it with a search. Anyway, if you weren't aware of how The Honorable Jimmy Naifeh was elected to be the Speaker of the House for this session you can thank 7 Republicans for their vote to put him in. If you live in their districts you may want to question them on why.

Republicans who voted for Naifeh were, State Rep.s Mike Harrison (Sneedville), Joe McCord (Maryville), Steve McDaniel (Parkers Crossroads), Richard Montgomery (Sevierville), Doug Overbey (Maryville), Dennis Roach (Rutledge), and Kent Williams (Elizabethton).

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news?id=26268

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I don't like the fact that Republicans voted for Naifeh. But, and I admit I haven't gone back and looked at the vote, I think Naifeh would have still been elected even if none of the GOP guys voted for him. There was supposed to be a more moderate Democrat to run against Nahifeh that all Republicans were going to vote for and enough Democrats to elect him. But for whatever reason he dropped out.

As it was said in another post, the vote for Speaker is not secret, so Nafieh knows who voted for and against him. I have heard that if you vote against him it is all but impossible for that Rep to move a bill through, have a decent committee assignment etc....

So right or wrong that is probably what was on these guys minds when they did that. My Rep is one of the ones that voted for him. If I see him out and about somewhere I will ask him, but not going to through the state e-mail or phone system to do it.

Yeah, there is more to this story than is obvious.

Even without the Republican votes, Darth Naifeh was gonna' win. You just have to develop a bit of sophistication about the political stuff. I once had one local Senator tell me it took him a full term before he learned how to play the political game. I'm sure - sure - that is why McDaniels voted for Naifeh.

Mumpower is my rep. He is also the minority leader. That's why he ran. They had to have someone. Interestingly enough, the Senate Speaker, who is also the Lt. Governor, is also my rep - Ron Ramsey. Two east-Tennessee guys as honchos? How in hell did that happen?

Sometimes knee-jerk reaction doesn't reveal the real story.

Guest nraforlife

In the tradition of Gandhi and King maybe its time to say up your laws, I will not comply, I will not lie down, I will not be a victim.

guys, I know severasl Reps... and the truth is they are scared to not vote for him. If they vote against him, and he still wins... they and their districts are screwed. I hate it, but you cant blame them.

I can blame them. They have no balls.

They need to organize behind a moderate pro-gun Democrat (there are a bunch of them) and get the Republicans to support them. They get a non-dictatorial speaker and Naifeh gets sent to the minor leagues - never to be heard from again.

Guest darkstar

Call me a cynic but it pretty much doesn't matter what anyone does. The first thing any elected official does is figure out how to be re-elected. That crap crosses party lines so if some Republican can be assured of re-election by supporting king Jimmy i.e. Jimbo gives them pork for their district as a favor, etc, etc, ad nauseaum then they will do so. The only way to deal with cronyism is to have term limits for all political offices. Between Tennesse waltz, king Jimmy and other scandals our legislature is the epitome of pigs at the trough. I say get rid of them, the whole lot. Thats the only message these dopes understand....they will say what people want to hear to keep in office, then do as they see fit to benefit themselves. Unless you have serious coin behind you your elected officials could care less.

Now I think I'll go kick a puppy and club a baby seal

Guest nraforlife

A few years ago the Feds and Nashville PD finally got around to closing down all the whore houses, oops massage parlors, in Davidson County. Unfortunately, the biggest one is still going business as usual. Naifeh has got to be the ugliest madame I've ever seen. When he finally leaves office the Bunny Ranch in Utah will probably hire him, he has real life job experience after all.

my point was we had our chance when the biggest bunch of anti Naifeh people were the "ax the tax" crowd... if he survived that, he can survive most anything we do to unseat him.

I agree the bastard needs to go, but its going to be a very hard uphill battle.

Guest CrazyLincoln

We should just get a bunch of people in areas across the state. Call your Reps and tell them "You vote for Naifeh, I don't vote for you." And if they aren't in your political realm, tell them you will bite your tongue and vote for him/her if they specifically vote against him. Enough people do it, he would be voted out.

my point was we had our chance when the biggest bunch of anti Naifeh people were the "ax the tax" crowd... if he survived that, he can survive most anything we do to unseat him.

I agree the bastard needs to go, but its going to be a very hard uphill battle.

yep..It might be a hard fight...but hey, NOTHING is impossible!! the biggest thing is communication.. communicate to the voters. communicate to your representatives. If we can find someone else that will vote the way WE want, then we all put our support behind them and get that turd outta office! otherwise we get a bunch of new representatives. if we have to work from the bottom up, we do it that way..but its either that or we hope he gets a Venerial desease.

Guest Boomhower
I can blame them. They have no balls.

:)........I hate politics. Poltics has made it's way into almost every aspect of our lives. It's even in Teeball :D.....makes me SICK eck15.gif

Guest SomeGuy

Naifeh will actually not be too hard to unseat, if done properly.

First, he is in a safe district. Defeating him in an election won't be happening. Knock off a few democrats, and any liberal Republican who would vote for Naifeh, and he is out of power.

I must admit, I was unaware McCord voted for Naifeh. I wonder what he was thinking.

Guest dotsun
He was thinking that Naifeh was going to be elected anyway and if he gave Naifeh a BJ that his district might get more goodies.

Yep, Nerfy keeps score and makes life difficult for the guys that don't vote for him as speaker. He's the little dictator of the House.