SB1597 Bredesen supports "Emergency Gun Confiscations"

Guest 0down

Guest 0down

Bill Summary for *SB1597 / HB1285

Present law authorizes the governor to take certain executive actions during a state of emergency, including commandeering any private property that the governor finds necessary to cope with the emergency and suspending or limiting the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles.

This bill removes authorization for the governor, during a state of emergency, to commandeer any privately owned firearms and ammunition, or firearm or ammunition components and suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of firearms and ammunition, or firearm or ammunition components. Also, this bill prohibits the state, any political subdivision, or any public official from imposing additional restrictions on the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, carrying, storage, display, or use of firearms and ammunition or firearm and ammunition components during any state of emergency.

It appears that Phil Bredesen has a a beef with Senate Bill 1597 which would prohibit the Governor from confiscating weapons from law-abiding citizens or restricting the ability to purchase guns and ammunition during times of natural disaster or declared emergency. The Governor currently has this authority.

Republican Leader Mark Norris is receipt of a letter from Mary Freeman, the Governor’s Director of Legislation, requesting he “consider halting further action†on Senate Bill 1597. The missive states that the administration “disagrees with the intent of this legislation and therefore cannot support it.â€

Call The Governor! The Second amendment is not there for fair weather.

Governor’s Office

Tennessee State Capitol

Nashville, TN 37243-0001

Phone: 615.741.2001

Fax: 615.532.9711

Email: phil.bredesen@state.tn.us

http://www.saysuncle.com/archives/2007/03/15/gun_confiscations_in_tennessee/

http://www.news2wkrn.com/vv/2007/03/plurality_leader_butts_heads_w.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if he tries it, he and the state will get its ass sued off. Guns were confiscated in Louisiana during the Katrina aftermath, wrongfully, illegally. Louisiana was ordered to give the guns back, and Louisiana has been ordered to repay the NRA lawyers who brought and won the lawsuit to give gun owners their guns back. Some damage was done though as many guns were just thrown in trailers or containers, permanently damaging them. The humid salty air didn't help, either.

http://www.nraila.org/currentlegislation/read.aspx?ID=1741

http://www.dailytoreador.com/news/2005/09/27/RegionalNews/Nra-Wins.New.Orleans.Gun.Battle-1281496.shtml

Still, I will be calling and e-mailing as politicians would love to exercise any power they can. Another good reason NOT to register your guns!

These bills are popping up in many states after seeing what happened in Louisiana. I bet it will have no problem passing in TN (law to not allow gov't to confiscate guns in time of crisis).

Guest macho999

I wish I'd of voted for Two Feathers now.

I thought the TN constitution forbade martial law, I guess then we'd have to debate what martial law really is. That Katrina stuff would fit my definition of it.

Another good reason NOT to register your guns!

I suppose they could start with their list of permit holders

I don't think many cops in my area would want to go around taking folks guns away...I'd LIKE to think that anyways:eek:

I guess we'll see whenever New Madrid II hits :D

Guest Ghostrider

Folks, I'll be calling.

But if you don't understand by now that we have a puss for a governor and a WORSE one for mayor, then you're not paying attention.

E-mail sent.

If Bredesen stands in the way of SB1597 I hope every gun owner in the State remembers this the next time a politician flaunts an endorsement from the NRA. In the last election the NRA ( to which I belong ) endorsed Bredesen for Governor but I don't remember him renouncing their (our) endorsement before the votes were cast. To accept an endorsement from pro gun groups and then not stand up for us when we need their support is tantamount to political treason in my book.

If it is true that he does not support this bill then shame on him. SHAME I say!!

Hmmm...

I did not realize our constitution gave the governor these powers. Seems to me a consititutional amendment is the way to go here. (The Gov. -this one or any future one- can challenge the law as unconstitutional.)

My thoughts: (From a reluctant Bredesen fan)

1) Governors (and Presidents, Mayors, etc) historically hate it when the legislative branch reigns them in. We should not be surprised. Upset yes. Surprised no.

2) I'd like to hear more about the admin's side on this issue. Bredesen is a sportsman, owns firearms, etc. He is also not the kind of man who has knee-jerk reactions to things. He thinks them through. (I've met Bredesen at least a dozen times, heard him speak countless others, and have close friends who are close friends with the Governor.)

3) How much of this is political vs. policy. Is the admin unhappy with this legislation because it is being pushed by the other party, or due to some deeply help philosophical belief regarding executive powers, because someone fell asleep at the wheel, etc???

4) I will not jump to the conclusion that the current admin is secretly a bunch of anti-gunners aiming to destroy our rights one step at a time. I know many of these people, and would be deeply surprised if this was true.

5) We have got to wonder how much thought and research goes into NRA ratings of candidates. This would seem to be a question that should be asked before an endorsement is given. (At least since Katrina.)

Well, off to class. Food for thought I hope.

-Len

It's not that complicated.

- There is a bill which would specifically define the limits of authority which the Governor has over the general population, to bear arms.

- Opposition to this bill is an indication of the administration's will to retain authority, in order to undermine the right of the general population to bear arms during perscribed circumstances.

- OR, it is a matter of ego, to resist ANY infringement on the Governor's authority.

There is no other reason to not provide the people of TN with the assurance that jack-booted thugs won't be busting down doors to disarm them during a catastrophe. Plain and simple.

We'll see what happens... I don't doubt that there is a good deal of hype surrounding the intentions of all involved. So, I'll give my $.02 where it belongs, and reserve further judgment until their positions are clear.

Guest Hyaloid

Dear Governor,

I am very concerned with your recent opposition to Senate Bill 1597 which would limit the government’s ability to confiscate firearms from Tennessee’s law abiding citizens during times of crisis or emergency. As a handgun permit holder, I consider myself to be an upstanding member of the community. To deny me the right to defend myself and my loved ones during times of crisis is at best irresponsible. We have all seen the potential for the government abuse of their power following the aftermath of Katrina, where private citizens wrongly had their firearms confiscated by law enforcement, which left them easy prey for the criminal element.

I would urge you to reconsider your opposition to this bill, and in fact I would hope that someone who ran with the endorsement of the NRA would support this bill without hesitation. Thank you for your time, sir, and I can be contacted below or by replying to this e-mail, should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Thank you for your time.

I wouldn't doubt if he has hinted to Nafieh to kill the bill in his little sub-committee. Anyway, I hope the Senate and House put it on his desk so everyone can see his true face. Bredesen hasn't had a veto overridden yet has he? If not, this would be a good bill to start with.

Actually, I cant recall anything he has vetoed at all. There has been some stuff he has let go into effect without his signature, but I can recall no vetoes. I may well wrong.

Here's what I sent:

Dear Mr. Bredesen,

I am e-mailing you regarding SB1597/HB1285 which takes away the Governor's power to disarm law-abiding citizens during times of declared emergency. This would serve no good purpose, as the law abiding citizens who would be disarmed would be left defenseless against whatever threat, including criminals and looters who by definition break the law and wouldn't comply with the order to give up their firearms.

If you will look at New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina as an example, when this gun confiscation was implemented, people were left defenseless. Rape and looting were commonplace, and the law-abiding citizen had not much more to defend himself other than his fists. What kind of defense is this in the wake of an armed criminal bent on hurting you, your family, or stealing your property?

The city was sued by the NRA on behalf of citizens whose guns were confiscated from them by authorities. This resulted in the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District in Louisiana to issue a restraining order to stop authorities from confiscating firearms and the NRA being reimbursed for their legal fees. Authorities were ordered to return citizens guns to them. The result of this action has been legislation in numerous states to remove authority to confiscate guns during emergencies.

Mr. Bredesen, don't let one of "the lessons of Katrina" slip through the cracks.

What is your stance on this bill?

Thank you,

I too sent the governor an e-mail respectfully expressing my concerns, pointing out the inconsistencies in the information released by his office.

I said, surely he doesn't invision suspending the Bill of Rights in a time when they are most important. And I asked him to clarify his position on this matter once and for all.

Guest Volfan

Senate set to vote on common sense gun bill

The Senate Judiciary Committee has approved SB 1597 to prohibit the Governor from confiscating weapons from law-abiding citizens or restricting the ability to purchase guns and ammunition during times of natural disaster or declared emergency.

Though Governor Bredesen opposes the bill, it is expected to pass the Republican-led Senate. A similar measure passed the Senate last year but failed in the House.

In New Orleans, governmental confiscation of citizens’ arms sparked outrage in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. A federal judge later enjoined the city of New Orleans from violating Second Amendment rights after the National Rifle Association (NRA) filed suit.

The bill is scheduled for action by the full Senate tonight.

Guest ProguninTN
Remember, kids, write your officials and tell them to support this bill. Then if Bredesen VETO's it we can all use that against him in the next election.

I mostly worried about it passing the Democrat-controlled House. Especially with Naifeh in charge. :stunned: Bredesen won't be in the next election. He's barred from running again due to term limits. That is what spared us from getting that turncoat Sundquist again.

Guest ProguninTN
I mostly worried about it passing the Democrat-controlled House. Especially with Naifeh in charge. :stunned: Bredesen won't be in the next election. He's barred from running again due to term limits. That is what spared us from getting that turncoat Sundquist again.

On second thought, despite Bredesen being barred from running again, we could still use the veto against whichever candidate the Democratic Party endorses.

Remember, kids, write your officials and tell them to support this bill. Then if Bredesen VETO's it we can all use that against him in the next election.

How is this? I'm not much of a letter writer.

Representative Johnson:

As one of your constituents that voted for you last election I would like to urge you to strongly support

SB1597/HB1285 and urge your fellow representatives to do the same. I am a gun owner and NRA member and believe this bill is very important to show that the state government fully supports the U.S. Constitution, Bill Of Rights, and the 2nd Amendment. It is a very distasteful thought that the state would desire to retain the power to void the U.S. Constitution and trample citizens rights by kicking their door in and stealing their privately owned firearms during the situation of an emergency when lawful citizens need them the most. By passing this bill it will send a message to some in the government, (House Speaker Nafieh / Governor Bredesen), that the state government works for it's citizens and values the U.S. Constitution. I ask you again PLEASE, let your fellow representatives know that the voters strongly support this bill.

Thank You:

Jon M.

Just e-mailed it to Representative Phillip Johnson® 5 minutes ago.