Nice P938 Info

Fourtyfive

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I'll have the nitron with fiber optic night sights please.

Jonnin, is your P238 lots lighter than 5 pounds? Maybe in a tiny pistol it would matter more, but I don't think most of my full size pistols are much lighter than 5 pounds single action and it doesn't bother me. I can't shoot very accurately. Maybe a lighter trigger would improve it, but have suspected there are more significant problems to fix than the trigger pull. :)

Guest Lester Weevils
Going to 9mm in the same gun that I already have doesn't turn me on much. I'd rather carry my PX4 or SP101 if I thought the advantage of 9mm/.357 would make a difference....in my hand.

Good points.

I don't have a P238 but have been tempted to get one. If about the same thing for about the same price was in 9mm, then the 9mm might be more attractive, specially since I mostly shoot 9mm nowadays anyway.

But maybe a 938 price won't be competitive with 238 for a long time. At some places P238 has got pretty affordable. Maybe it could take a 938 years in the pipeline before bargains appear?

I got to handle one today at Shot Show!!! (Let the Envy begin). It is just a little bit bigger than a P238 and with the extended magazine it is very comfortable in the hand. Sig didn't have a MSRP on it, but it will probaly be in the upper 600 to mid 700 range (hopefully). It is a very well made pistol, but what do you expect from Sig.

I have hemmed and hawed about a P238 because it was .380. In 9mm it's a slam dunk.

Rosewood P239 MSRP is $795, about $75 more than Rosewood P238, so street prices should be close to the same.

There are cheaper models available of the P238 than the P938, but I suspect Sig will expand the line eventially. Looks like a winner.

I would have liked to seen a de-cocked on this model but no big deal, they have the P290 (DAO) and another new model the P224 (DA/SA) several other attractive models.

Too many choices, too little money. :-\ I'm happy with my .380, suspect a 9mm in this size will be a handful anyway.

Guest Lester Weevils
Too many choices, too little money. :-\ I'm happy with my .380, suspect a 9mm in this size will be a handful anyway.

The Kahr PM9 is supposed to have pretty manageable recoil in that size. Have read that the equivalent size PM40 and PM45 can be a handful. Kahrs in all sizes seem relatively soft shooters for their size and weight, but dunno why. I like the P9 but haven't bought a PM9 because I like the kahr trigger but not THAT much. Would rather have a good SA trigger in the next mousegun.

Old Dad has a 1970's vintage Colt Junior .25 mousegun with thumb safety and SA trigger that is fun and surprisingly accurate to shoot. Which is why something like a P238 or P938 sounds interesting. Essentially a bigger version of a Colt Junior.

Wish I had experience shooting numerous different kinds of mouseguns. My well-made heavy stainless NAA blowback .380 mousegun is annoying as snot to shoot. Doesn't take many rounds to get a blister on the side of the trigger finger and a sore wrist.

Have googled the topic, but it isn't clear what variables affect felt recoil. Various theories abound. Locked-action guns are sposed to do better than blowback guns. Some say that plastic frames absorb the shock better than metal, but dunno if that theory even makes a lick of sense. It is said that the bore height above the hand is a factor, but most claim that at least in fullsize pistols, the bore height is a real factor but not an especially significant factor.

Jonnin has the programmer's scourge of carpal tunnel disease and haven't heard him complaining about the P238 recoil. I know he'd be bitching if he ever shot my NAA .380. :) It will be nice if the P938 turns out a relatively soft shooter.

The Kahr PM9 is supposed to have pretty manageable recoil in that size. Have read that the equivalent size PM40 and PM45 can be a handful. Kahrs in all sizes seem relatively soft shooters for their size and weight, but dunno why. I like the P9 but haven't bought a PM9 because I like the kahr trigger but not THAT much. Would rather have a good SA trigger in the next mousegun.

Old Dad has a 1970's vintage Colt Junior .25 mousegun with thumb safety and SA trigger that is fun and surprisingly accurate to shoot. Which is why something like a P238 or P938 sounds interesting. Essentially a bigger version of a Colt Junior.

Wish I had experience shooting numerous different kinds of mouseguns. My well-made heavy stainless NAA blowback .380 mousegun is annoying as snot to shoot. Doesn't take many rounds to get a blister on the side of the trigger finger and a sore wrist.

Have googled the topic, but it isn't clear what variables affect felt recoil. Various theories abound. Locked-action guns are sposed to do better than blowback guns. Some say that plastic frames absorb the shock better than metal, but dunno if that theory even makes a lick of sense. It is said that the bore height above the hand is a factor, but most claim that at least in fullsize pistols, the bore height is a real factor but not an especially significant factor.

Jonnin has the programmer's scourge of carpal tunnel disease and haven't heard him complaining about the P238 recoil. I know he'd be bitching if he ever shot my NAA .380. :) It will be nice if the P938 turns out a relatively soft shooter.

I wasn't complaining about the P238's recoil, it's a real pleasure to shoot. Just saying, I've had the PF9 and the LC9 and IMO they are not a pleasure to shoot. Granted the Sig is not as thin as these so I'm guessing but it would be my personal preference to shoot/carry my PX4sc over the same gun I have in a 9mm.

Also, most of these mouseguns aren't designed for target practice anyway but I can tell you the P238 does get pretty close to crossing over. Will the P938 be the same, probably so.

Price wise?, you get what you pay for. :)

Weight? The 238 was barely pocketable. If this adds more than an oz or two, may as well carry a Glock 19.

Also, I bit on the 238 the second it came out and it was a mistake. Last I checked the 238 had 4 iterations and several modifications to make it reliable. I think I'll wait a year or so before I even think about one of these.

I want one so my P238 will have a big brother but I don't think I would be as accurate as I am with the .380. My p238 will never leave me unless stolen and I am confident with it due to it's fantastic accuracy. Hits in vitals is what counts IMHO.

That said if it at some point has a reasonable price the p938 might be in my future.

• 2 weeks later...
I have not looked at Sigs in a while so forgive me. Is this a single action ? Is it an aluminum framed gun ? Can it be carried cocked and locked ? What is the price ?

See posts #1 and #3 ;)

I don't think it's in stores yet so a exact price is unknown.

• 4 months later...
Guest jmoe816

My local gun store has one of these in stock and I went to check it out today. It feels great in the hand. Very solid feeling. The trigger pull is definitely heavy, but smooth. I will be buying one. I am not use to SAO so will have to practice a lot. But it seems like a really nice gun.

I have just missed them 2 or 3 times according to the guns stores. Sigh. they are starting to show up but are sold right off, and are only coming to stores in 1s and 2s apparently, and weeks between each one....