Should New York tourists have their lives destroyed because of concealed carry laws?

Guest MattBNA

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you change the radio station in your car and kill someone in the ensuing crash, should you be poor the rest of your life after they sue you for negligence?

Don't get me wrong, I have sympathy for them since it was likely the same kind of temporary stupidity that we've all committed. I think the "fair" thing to do is for them to forfeit the firearm, pay fines and court costs and get probation for the duration of the normal sentence. If they have and maintain a clean record, then I would advocate for an expungement <sp>.

If you change the radio station in your car and kill someone in the ensuing crash, should you be poor the rest of your life after they sue you for negligence?

Don't get me wrong, I have sympathy for them since it was likely the same kind of temporary stupidity that we've all committed. I think the "fair" thing to do is for them to forfeit the firearm, pay fines and court costs and get probation for the duration of the normal sentence. If they have and maintain a clean record, then I would advocate for an expungement <sp>.

This x1000.
Guest ArmaDeFuego

No of course they shouldnt.

New York should be forced to stop wantonly trampling on the Second Amendment to the Constitution of this country, which is SUPPOSED to be the Supreme Law of the Land......

We (American public and "politicians") are in the wrong for allowing New York to walk all over the 2nd amendment.

A gun owner is WRONG for carrying in NYC.

Two wrongs don't make a right. For now, we have to deal with the rules and regulations of NYC. We can pray they change in the future. However, you have to pay the price now for ignoring the laws.

Should a drug addict have their lives ruined for breaking a law that doesn't hurt any innocent citizens? They KNEW the law and the consequences and knowingly went outside the law. No, i don't support drugs but i can't think of a better hypothetical.

Edited by Parrothead
Guest lostpass

states rights? Personal responsibility? It's all great and good for the fed to stay out of the business of states until it is a law you disagree with. Then the fed better get all up in their business and protect your rights.

They can do whatever they want in New York cause I'm not going there anyway. But if i did have to go there I wouldn't take a gun. Maybe a trained rat or something.

Guest NYCrulesU
We (American public and "politicians") are in the wrong for allowing New York to walk all over the 2nd amendment.

A gun owner is WRONG for carrying in NYC.

Two wrongs don't make a right. For now, we have to deal with the rules and regulations of NYC. We can pray they change in the future. However, you have to pay the price now for ignoring the laws.

Should a drug addict have their lives ruined for breaking a law that doesn't hurt any innocent citizens? They KNEW the law and the consequences and knowingly went outside the law. No, i don't support drugs but i can't think of a better hypothetical.

Exactly this.

Things are what they are right now...hopefully change will come.

BUT.....until then we, as HCP holders, have two choices and two choices only (unless you want to be an advocate or stubborn). 1. Stay out of NYC (this also includes NJ & CA). 2. If you must travel there, you leave your weapons home.

I'm not underatanding how difficult it is. Soet of baffles me like the "Should I violate the policies at my job?" thread.

Ridiculous. Then some wonder why antis look at us like we are nuts.

states rights? Personal responsibility? It's all great and good for the fed to stay out of the business of states until it is a law you disagree with. Then the fed better get all up in their business and protect your rights.

They can do whatever they want in New York cause I'm not going there anyway. But if i did have to go there I wouldn't take a gun. Maybe a trained rat or something.

Infringement on the rights of any, including residents of New York, is a danger to all of us, including here in Tennessee. As was recently stated by the Buckeye Firearms Association, that the two biggest threats to second amendment rights are...

President Barack Obama and his campaign staff

and

The Apathetic, Misinformed, or Anti-gun Gun Owner

Yes, some people cry "states rights" (appropriate and sometimes inappropriately) at times but I would suggest that this is not a "states rights" issue...this is an area where the federal government should intervene. One of its most basic responsibilities is to ensure that a citizen's rights, recognized and enumerated in the Constitution, are protected and not allowed to be infringed. Whether one plans to travel to NY or any other place so openly hostile to our rights, we should do what we can and all we can to push back.

Edited by RobertNashville

In NY state, if you have a NYS Carry permit, it's NOT good in NYC. NYC has their own permit. The airports are in NYC. So to carry in NYC, one must have a NYC permit. If you're a NYC resident and want to carry outside of NYC then you must have a NYC permit and a NYS permit also. A retired police officer from any NY police department can carry in NYS & NYC. Presently, a PO from anywhere in the US can carry concealed anywhere in the US on a "HR 218" lic.. He must follow the state laws that prohibit carry in 'restricted areas'. Exp~~Court rooms, Govt buildings, etc etc. The arrest's took place in airports that are policed by New York Port Authority Police. They are not NYPD. Since NYS does not honor out of state permits and if for some reason, you have a firearm either on your person or in luggage that comes into your possesion if by chance you have a problem with a connecting flight or a cancellation of your flight and you get your luggage handed to you, you're in deep do-do with Port Authority PD when you recheck your luggage and a handgun shows up in the security check.

That's what generally happens with these arrests. The person has a legit lic in their residence state and lawfully placed the firearm in their luggage and declared it to the TSA at their home airport. When they arrive in NY , the luggage is not checked with x-ray. When they are going back home, it gets checked . If they actually tell the TSA they have a firearm,( by law you must do this) or it shows up in the x-ray , they WILL call Port Authority PD to the security check. The PAPD WILL ask you for a NYS lic. No NYS lic, you get cuffed. Plain & simple. If you drive into NYC or NYS by your vehicle and you don't check out the various firearm carry laws in other states, then you deserve a swift kick in the backside to wake you up as to the real world. It really stinks, but that's what the NYS law says. The PD has NO CHOICE but to arrest. It's the District Attorney that can make arrangements to void the arrests. Some DA's (not all) are extreme anti-gun advocates that make them happy to prosecute. They just don't care what the circumstances were.

The general feelings with Mr & Mrs NY's opinions for Air travlers caught up in the system, is for releasing these travelers from other states . Give them a reprimand and send them on their way with their firearm properly contained in their luggage.. Auto travelers should probably be fined, maybe conficate the firearm, like most states will do if you're caught carrying illeagally in that state. No jail time. Case closed. Not much has been rervealed as to what the NY courts are going to do with these innocent Air 'commuters' from out of state. Hopefully common sense will prevail.