Breaking the rules, carry at work?

Guest pfries

Do you or would you  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you or would you

Public Poll and multiple answers are allowed.

I was laid off a while back, and well times are not greatfor finding good work that pays what I am used to. I cannot stand unenjoyment(unemployment) and picked something up to keep me occupied (convenience storeAsst. Manager).

The area has had a rash/spell of robberies and the trend seems to be gettingviolent, why I do not know. So the store is not posted (posting carries weightof law) but it is against company policy. So if found out I would lose my job,this job is not worth my life, for that matter none I have ever had have been.

Now the companies’ policy is let them have it and well the cash and merchandiseis theirs so I would, but if I was threatened and believed the threat was real,or the perps attempted to assault me I would lose my job and take necessarymeasures.

Just looking for feedback, thoughts, others that do the same or do not and why.

Pat

Edited by pfries
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That blows. Luckily I work at a job where it's not uncommon for someone to whip out their latest gun purchase to show off without it inciting panic. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where my profession puts me at an increased risk, but my employer won't allow me to take steps to mitigate that risk. A sticky situation indeed.

I guess I'd have to weigh the pros and cons of it all. I'd probably carry, but keep it hidden from everyone at all times. In the event a SD situation occurred, yeah I'd lose my job, but I'd still be alive. The only reason I'd pull a weapon is if I was pretty certain I would die if I didn't, so the action itself would negate the worry of losing my job... 'cause I'd be losing a lot more otherwise.

The best answer would be not to work there at all, but times is tough. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep the family fed.

Guest odfanatic

I work on a military installation daily. Policy does not allow uniformed or civilian personnel to carry concealed, except for gate guards and Military Police :D

If I were in a situation similar to yours, I would carry concealed. Out of sight, out of mind... until necessary.

I do not welcome or look forward to a scenario that requires a draw and fire, but I would be prepared for it.

The justification is my sincere belief that I am responsible for my family's overall well-being and happiness. This implies self-defense not only for my preservation, but for theirs as well. I'm not speaking of eliminating one's outstanding debt or ensuring financial prosperity for my survivors- that is what life insurance is for.

I'm speaking of avoiding shattered emotional lives and preserving their spiritual and mental well-being from unsought involvement with violent crime. Hateful crimes claim much more than material wealth, well, is worth. Violent crime claims normalcy from law-abiding citizens and literally deprives children of parents, families of their loved ones, and our society of productive members.

I realize I am preaching to the choir, so to speak. Sorry for the long-winded answer. The gravity of the hypothetical posed, I felt, merited it.

Edited by odfanatic
Clarification

Fortunately I work for a guy who is all for me carrying while I work. It's a retail grocery store here in Nashville. I've been there part time for going on 2 years and have never had to pull it yet but I know that could change any day. I do carry concealed and I've only told 2 customers that I'm packing and I've been to the range with one of those. Some of my co-workers don't even know it.

Guest Catfish36

I have my own catering business, so obviously I carry when working. However, I deliver food daily to Doctors offices and hospitals, so I generally leave the weapon(s) in the car , run in , and run back out and put them back on. ( I have been known to carry an empty OC holster in said offices, I get strange looks, but it is my suttle way of making a point I guess...probably not one that is received well).

I also attend College..so I do not carry while at school. ( This especially makes me angry!)

So in general I guess my answer is "No".

However, in a convinient store setting..with recent robberies in the neighborhood...I can't say what I would do in your shoes...P238, LCP fits well in the pocket...hmmm??

Guest nicemac

No, you know the rules (in advance) and accept them as part of the employment agreement, or you move on and find a different job–as hard as that may be.

Guest chrisdridley

My cousin worked for Mr Zip conv stores a few years ago as the manager of the store on Shallowford Rd store in Chatt. A bad guy came in, pulled a gun and demanded cash. My cousin caught him off guard, took the gun away from him and broke his arm. Mr Zip fired him...didn't follow company policy....and the bad guy sued Mr Zip and my cousin. The robber used the footage from the store security camera as evidence and won a civil case against Mr Zip and a separate case against my cousin. Mr Zip provided no legal assistance to my cousin.

Only pull the weapon if you have to and know that it is your last day at work.....but still better than your last day on earth.

Public Poll and multiple answers are allowed.

I was laid off a while back, and well times are not greatfor finding good work that pays what I am used to. I cannot stand unenjoyment(unemployment) and picked something up to keep me occupied (convenience storeAsst. Manager).

The area has had a rash/spell of robberies and the trend seems to be gettingviolent, why I do not know. So the store is not posted (posting carries weightof law) but it is against company policy. So if found out I would lose my job,this job is not worth my life, for that matter none I have ever had have been.

Now the companies’ policy is let them have it and well the cash and merchandiseis theirs so I would, but if I was threatened and believed the threat was real,or the perps attempted to assault me I would lose my job and take necessarymeasures.

Just looking for feedback, thoughts, others that do the same or do not and why.

Pat

I would honestly love to carry at work but it's a felony for me to carry at work so it's a no go entirely. I can't even have it in the car while the car is on the property.

If a person pulls a gun in your face and you feel that he is going to kill you, you should have some way of defending yourself.

No, you know the rules (in advance) and accept them as part of the employment agreement, or you move on and find a different job–as hard as that may be.

In a perfect world you make a good point. If the employers gave a damn and provided adequate protection for their employes I could go along with that. I used to deliver pizza and there was a company policy that we couldn't carry guns. Yet they were sending us into crappy neighborhoods and we were delivering pizza to crack houses. The company said no guns as a CYA thing. The company could give a damn if I get killed in the line of duty delivering pizza. Pizza delivery people aren't hard to find they could have easily replaced me. So when pizza guys are getting robbed and convenience stores are getting shot up a guy makes himself a sitting duck when he tries to provide for his family and follow the corporate BS rules. If the company really cared they would be placing armed guards in the high risk stores.

Guest xTastyx

I carry at work against company policy, my assistant manager is the only coworker who knows it . I guess the point is that you could need a weapon at a moments notice and I'm not gonna say to myself " gee wish I had my gun right now"

Thanks for the feedback so far, yes concealed means concealed means concealed. Got my new smock yesterday and changed it in front of the manager and GM. Supertuck with Velcro does wonders :). It is a 30% paycut but I cannot sit on my a**, I have been putting out resumes since I was laid off end of October. A few interviews first and of recent some second, they all seem to be taking their sweet time. Still looking but with school in the picture I am not as flexible as I would normally or would like be.

And I would like to add that at my old job I could not carry, we went through metal detectors and had guards. The likleyhood of a situation there was minimal with plenty of egress so I did not This job however is a different scenario.

Edited by pfries
Guest bkelm18

Most of the jobs I've had it was either highly illegal or highly impractical for me to carry on the job. Though I did pocket carry a P3AT when I worked the overnight shift at Target.

Yes, i carried when i worked for other people and i carry now working for myself. Jobs are replaceable but your life is not. If you are in a bad situation and have to stop someone robbing you working at a gas station, then your safety is more important than the job.

Guest FiddleDog

I'd rather be fired, than dead. That being said, I'd rather be neither. Good luck on your continued search, and dump this place as soon as you find another landing place.

I voted no (as in would not since I don't have a permit, yet) for multiple reasons. However in your situation it makes perfect sense. I work in a secure facility with armed guards, and it is my permanent job (17+ yrs till retirement Yay me!!) so breaking the rules would have a much larger impact on me than you. Plus since I work for the po-leece, I would likely get to visit with my friends at the nearby DCSO facility.

Plus with luck, you will have a better job soon and no one will ever know. Well except for us, and we won't tell :yum:

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I work at a place that doesnt not allow me to carry inside, & also bars me from having a gun in my car while its parked on their property. There is literally no where else around to park, so I'm kinda screwed. I dont take my gun to work. I bet the first time I did they would decide to randomly search that day & I would be canned.

I would rather work towards having our legislature pass the guns in parking lots law so my employer cant trample my right to self protection.

Guest harryjordan

My company also has a policy against carrying so i don't. Losing my job isn't worth it. But if my job wasnt so great which has been the case more times than not i woulnt hesitate.

Guest dubaholic2

i have always carried a gun to work and kept it in my car, whether against company policy or not. my bosses have known that i had a gun in my car and didnt mind, even though it was against policy. if i were working at gas station, especially at night, you're damn right id have a gun on me. policy be damned..., but thats just me.

My last job I kept it in my car which was against policy, the plant manager new and had his as well, the head of security is ex LEO and he was aware as well and it was with their blessing. We were subject to random searches but as head of security would handle it if needed it was a non issue.

And once again I apreciate all the input guys and gals

Mine says no weapons on company property, but we lease our space and share the parking lot w/ other businesses. Hmmm?

Tell them you took the bus today...:)

I work at a place that doesnt not allow me to carry inside, & also bars me from having a gun in my car while its parked on their property. There is literally no where else around to park, so I'm kinda screwed. I dont take my gun to work. I bet the first time I did they would decide to randomly search that day & I would be canned.

I would rather work towards having our legislature pass the guns in parking lots law so my employer cant trample my right to self protection.

My only concern there is the state trampling your employer's rights to say what happens on their property.....