Recommendation Needed - rifle for a young girl's first firearm

Hello all!

Some of you know that this past Christmas I gave a commander sized 1911 to my 13 year old nephew. Well, my 11 year old niece seems to want a firearm as well and she's already hinted at a "youth" 22 bolt action with a pink stock. B)

Now, I'm not opposed to buying a pink stock but I'm wondering what my options might be here...she is a small girl and I seriously doubt that any "standard" sized rifle is going to work for her. At the same time, I hate to buy something for her that she very likely will "grow out of" in just a couple of years or so.

Any thoughts, advice, etc about what my options might be here would be appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

11 is old enough that a small-ish rifle will work fine for her, without getting a "youth" rifle. A Marlin model 60 or a Ruger 10/22 are both small enough to work for her. Get either one with a composite stock and it will be very lightweight, but it will be something she can use for years. Get her a pink youth rifle and she will want/need a new/different one in a year.

Guest akhero47

I might actually recommend a Savage. They're very cheap, and from what I've seen with mine pretty darn reliable. It was actually my first rifle; I got it as a birthday present when I was about 14 and let me tell you.. I abused the HELL out of that thing. Over it's years it has probably fired 20,000+ rounds with very few cleanings in between. It has just recently started acting up, lately it doesn't seem to like to eject spent cartridges. Anyways, this is just my input. They're not very big rifles but they're also not as small as a youth, so that would eliminate the "outgrowing" factor.

Hope this helps.

Since a youth sized is not a good option look at the Savage rifles Walmart sells. They are great first rifles and have a composite stock that is very accepting of spray paint. Prime is up and then paint it pink. Inexpensive and simple solution.

My wife, who is quite petite, really loves her Ruger 10/22 CRR (but with a Walnut stock). With a 4 power Leupold Scope, it's a tack driver. It's little, it's girlie, but it's not just a child's first rifle. Your daughter can hold on to it for years, or pass it on to her own daughters someday. Circle of life and all that.

Here's the Ruger 10/22 CRR (short barrel, short length of pull) in pink laminate:

Ruger 10/22 Compact Pink Laminate 22 LR

Edited by QuietDan
Guest Broomhead

My 7-year old daughter's first rifle was a Crickett with a pink plastic stock. She saw one with a pink laminated wood stock at a Gander Mountain and her and Mama had to have it. Ordered it and a nice 4x scope from Crickett (after she learned to use iron sights reliably). It is actually too small for her now and she will be moving up to my spare 10/22 soon. I'm going to 'pink zebra-stripe' the ATI Strikeforce stock that's on it, per her instructions. Once my 2-year old is about 5-6 she'll inherit the Crickett, as will her little sister when it's time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Crickett for a first rifle. Very good for emphasizing safety, sight picture (comes stock with peep sights), trigger control, etc.

If you want to meet up to inspect/handle/shoot it sometime just send me a PM.

My daughter was a very piette little girl. She started out with my little Henry, she now has a 10/22. She is 17 now, and she still loves that little Henry.

She shoots both better than I, "younger eyes" thats my excuse.lol

Edited by Sidinman

I would recommend the CZ Scout. It will last 2-3 lifetimes and is usable as she grows. I carry my boys' Scout around quite a bit on woods walks. It is a real quality rifle-comes in a pink version also if wanted. TTT

IMG_3361.jpg

If you have money to burn, the tactical solutions pink 10/22 might be a good choice. It is a tack driver, a 10-22 in name but most of the parts replaced. They run about $600, however, which is a lot to spend on a kid, but at the same time it will last a lifetime and will probably always outshoot the shooter, allowing for her to reach her potential. It is a very lightweight gun and small enough for her to use but big enough to last a lifetime. Its girly, but the black and pink color scheme are pretty without being silly, unlike most pink guns.

If money is an issue, pick the gun first, and pay someone to pink cote it, that is not super expensive. A regular 10-22 is cheap and run it thru a shop to pink it will not break the bank, or if she likes a bolt action, there are many to choose from that are neither heavy nor excessively long.

My uncle got a nice bolt action Marlin .22 mag for his daughter's 12th birthday and she still loves it today and she's in her mid-20's. It's a good rifle to start with and still has enough punch to it that it's not such a "kiddie" rifle. Of course now she has a Bushmaster AR and tends to have that at the range more often than not.

My Daughter has a Savage Cub-T in Pink. It comes with a Accu-trigger a wood stock and peep sights. It is very accurate. Hell, I even like shooting it. They make one without the thumb hole stock and in pink, or natural wood. Her's was around 220.00. It like a scaled down MKII. A real rifle feel.

My Son started out on a Rossi Youth matched pair 22LR/.410 and now has a 22/ 20 gauge set. It is a break open and comes with Williams Firesights. It is also available in pink. Around 140.00 with a nice case for all barrels and reciever.

I have shot the little Cricket rifles and they are nice for the money.

We do own a M&P15-22 which is the most fun I have purchased in a long while. One size fits all. Around $400 when I got mine. They will wear out a brick of .22 in no time. Extra mags are $18. It is alot of fun and shoots bulk great. It goes to the range every time we go.

Edited by R1100R