1K and my AR

RWF

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mike or froggy, i do have a question, about say 13th shot out of 20 i started shooting low. on my 3rd sighter i had the elevation perfect! then like i said i started hitting say about 1 MOA or 10-14" low. any idea's.

no idea, for sure. i was working hard on not making a fool of myself with my "little AR that could" as someone told me. it did sound like the person to my right was having trouble. i will try to get allycat and cyh were there and try to get them to chime in.

Edited by RWF
Guest FroggyOne2

Well if the others didn't have the same response as you, those of them that were nearest to you, then my first inclination would be that you got hard on your rear sight.. meaning that you got low in the rear sight which lowered the front sight in the rear sight.

i shot F/TR with 5 X 20 weaver tactical scope and 20 MOA mount. but damn good guess. but now that you said that being a newbie more i shot more i had to adjust after recoil. soo maybe that was part of it. not a solid set up?

Guest FroggyOne2

When ever you know that you have a rig that shoots pretty good, there are two factors to consider. The conditions have changes such that they are hard to detect what or how wind may be doing. I know now that you were shooting with a scope now and shooting F/TR. Usually it is the condition of the wind or your technique that will cause some severe change.. Rule number one, If you know that you made a good and consitant shot with good follow through, change the sights.

Just got on the forum.

You guys have been busy the last couple of days.

Don't think I can contribute much. It was very interesting day. Lot's of very cool guns and caliburs ... and people!

This was a first time for me (as a spotter and observer) at that range.

There were many very good shooter with nice equipment but I was really most impressed with "the little AR that could." I kinda thought the little fella might peter out at 500 - 600 yd, but damn, it just kept on going. Like the "Energizer Bunny."

Ok, I'm sounding like a commercial.

See ya.

Canting!? hmm to be truthful once i started shooting for score never thought about checking my levels.

allycat, thanks for posting the picture, you must had to spend some time looking for it! VIDEO!!! sounds like i will be paying some blackmail money soon!

cyh, thanks for the nice words, but i have to say i really like the "little AR that could" but like you said first time for both of us at a match like that so it was easy to BS.

Because your rifle is pitched up at those long ranges. If you roll the rifle to one side or the other, it takes less pitch to put the crosshair on the target. That's why I watches my bubble...

Because the scope height above the bore axis changes when you rotate the gun. Right? I'd love to take a "long range" class and learn about this stuff.

Because the scope height above the bore axis changes when you rotate the gun. Right? I'd love to take a "long range" class and learn about this stuff.

Kinda. Here's a sight adjust plot I did for a 300 RUM. The gun is pitched up over 20MOA. As you roll the gun, the angle of the pich in the scope moves away from the angle of gravity. Needless to say, a .308 and .223 is going to have even more come-up than a 300 RUM. Also note that at 300 yards, it's only up a few MOA, so cant is much less critical.

300RUMElevationdope-1.jpg