First 2 Taurus --(Judge & TCP 738) -- First Range Report

Tennjed

FIRST. How do you pronouce or type out multiple Taurus? Tauruses, Tauri, Taureece?

Hey guys I have picked up my first 2 Taurus handguns in the last couple of weeks and wanted to share some quick results. The new guns are a TCP 738 380 acp and a Judge Public Defender 45/410.

TCP:

125 rounds of my reloaded ammo (95 gr RN lead cast with 3.8 - 4.1 gr Unique)

1 stovepipe. The stovepipe was on a mag I was shooting 1 handed to see how it feed. Accuracy was a little better than expected. I also have a Kel Tec P3AT and the TCP seemed to have less recoil. It also has a really nice trigger.

Judge

150 rounds of my reloaded 45 Colt (230 gr RNFP 7.1 gr Unique {50} 7.6 gr unique {50} and 8.1 gr Unique {50}).

Cylinder did lock up 1 time. This was a result of a primer not seated deep enough. I attempted to run the same round through a Ruger Blackhawk and locked it up also. I also learned not to try that again, because getting the cylinder out on the SA Ruger with it was a PITA. Accuracy was very good with the 8.1 gr loads and pretty good with the 7.1 & 7.6 loads. I was actually suprised with the accuracy. everybody talks about how the Judge is a bad 45 colt gun. I also have a 7.5" Ruger Vaquero and a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk. The accuracy is not as good as the 7.5" Vaquero, but I shot this 2" Judge on par with the 4 5/8 Blackhawk at about 20'. The 7.1 & 7.6 gr were very nice to shoot. The 8.1 loads had noticably stouter recoil but not too bad. The Judge also has a really nice DA trigger and the fiber optic front sight is nice

I did not shoot paper targets. I was shooting at empty 16 oz energy drink cans. So I do not have any groups to report. The first time I take a gun out, I like to just plink with it to get a feel for it and check for malfunctions.

All in all, I was impressed with both. They both seem well made. Judge locks up nicely and both guns have very nice DA triggers. I am very suprised with the triggers to be honest.

Like I said I have never owned a Taurus before but I did not have any aprehension buying one though. Lots of people bash them but my research shows most bashing is second hand accounts (most not all). Storoes of people they know with bad Taurus, not their own. I got both on sale from Sportman's Wharehouse and were at a price I felt I could take a chance on.

Judge NIB $379

TCP 738 NIB $199

I enjoy shooting pocket pistols and kinda have a thing for little guns, so the TCP for $199 was a no brainer. I got the Judge because, .... well because. Sorta got it (laugh if you want) for my friends to shoot. I have a few buddies who are big time hunters, but not really into handguns. When we get into handgun conversations they all seem to bring up the Judge. How they would like to have one, how their uncle has one ect. I figured it would be nice to have one for when they come over. In a way i would like to get them more into handguns and if shooting my Judge will get them shooting handguns with me, then I think that is a good thing.

6668841065_578b3b20a4_z.jpg

6668842391_0707f6d883_z.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a very good range report and it sure sound's like you had a great time out there. Your logic for buying the Judge for friends to shoot on range days and such is as good as any I've read, using a fun gun for non handgunner's is a pretty darn good ideal.

Thanks. Growing up around here I am sure lots o us know hunters who are not into handguns. I don't think anyone can argue that the Judge is well known. I find a lot of people that are not as passionate as we are are interested in the Judge. Heck I was/am interested. It was on sale and thought it would be a good addition to my collection. I am sure to have fun with it and hopefully it will get a couple of other people out to the range with me.

Yeah, like others said, nice report. I bought a judge a few years ago, just because I guess. Really just a little curious myself, I found it pretty acurate, and fun but I shoot it little. Have other .45s, but like you said some the friends don't shoot much, but always want to try "it" out. The .45 colt is the next I am going get reloading.

Guest sqlightning

i got one of the judge public defenders for xmas from my wife and boy is it fun to shoot......when the cylinder doesn't lock up. it would do it after every 3rd shot. i tried different ammo (winchester pdx, winchester aa, federal buckshot & slugs) and they all did it. i sent it to taurus a week ago and am ready to get it back to play with it some more.