Sig P220 Carry, need expert advice on purchase

runco

Alright Sig lovers, I really need some expert advice. Here is the background: Since Christmas I have been bitten by the bug to buy a 45ACP handgun. This will be my first 45, and I thought I wanted a 1911 type model. After lots and lots of intense internet browsing, reading most boards, and watching Youtube, I have concluded without doubt to buy a Sig P220 Carry model. This will be my second Sig, and probably my 30th gun. Now its just a matter of where, when and how much. I have searched E. Tennesse over for current inventory, to touch, to hold, and carress, but have been able to find only two in stock, pricing at both places are similiar, one in Knoxville and one in Benton. I have no preference or loyality to either store. Truth be known I am actually waiting until the next gun show in Knoxville to see if I can beat the gun store price, and I am actually watching very closely a used factory certified Sig P220 Carry on Gunbroker, but I just don't know if I want buy a used one or not. If it goes for only $100 less than a new one, I will not buy, but if I can buy for $200-$300 less than new, I will likely buy.

Okay, enough of the back ground, here is my dilema, today I found a third one, new Sig P220 Carry on display at a box store basically $40 less than the other two gun stores, and its the only one they have. The next nearest one in their computer shows AZ. A couple of neative things, the gun has wear on the barrel, many smiley faces. In fact alot more wear than I would have expected for a display model, but the slide was perfect, and showed no wear when I removed the slide. The breach bolt shows alot of wear as well. The hammer shows a lot strikes to the firing pin too. There was a ding on the trigger guard, as if it had been dropped lightly, a coutner drop, not a floor drop, but other than that the gun was perfect. I very confident there is nothing fishy with the gun, just has been a well shown display gun. The 20 year old behind the counter said its been handled alot for a display and has been in inventory quite awhile, and actually longer than he has been employed there. Now the good, the gun actually shows "made in Germany" on the slide, all of the others I have seen both in person and on the web just has the Exeter, NH, with no reference to Germany. I asked to be shown the factory case, and the case is blue, and a Sig factory label on outside the case shows April 2009. So the question, is there any fear of buying from box stores for Sigs? I have read box stores receives 2nds, and blah, blah, blah. What about the Germany slide, is this suppose to be better? And what is the definition of better? Since the gun is almost 3 years old, any rumors of problems with this model of manufacture? Was this considered early for the "Carry" model? BTW already talked to the manager for display discount due to excessive wear, was thinking if a 10% discount could be applied, I would have purchased today. He said no (the kid actually had to show him how to the pull the slide back for him to see the smiley faces, urrrr!). So when he said no, I just left on principal, but I may swallow crow if I can receive some expert advice from this board, and go back and buy it.

So Sig experts, give me some advice? Buy it, wait and the right one will come along, or what.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of 220 Carry's dumped on the market to include 220 SAO Carry that CDNN carried a few months ago. They were sold at really cheap prices. Sig in Germany is still producing guns. About six months ago some new 225's were available where they haven't been sold here in awhile. I am a fan of the German made guns. They just seem to have a better fit and finish.

As far as the pistol, to me it sounds used or was used as a salemans or test gun for the purpose of sales. If you have ever seen a CPO SIG certified pre-owned they look brand new. What box store had this pistol? Most just carry the polymer framed SIGs. BTW there are two compact 45 that are smaller, the 245 and the 220 compact. Magiccarpetrides on here carries a 245 and swears by it. I carry a standard 220 with factory slim grips.

I own a lot of .45's but I feel you can't go wrong with a 220. They are very accurate and great pistol with a huge following. It is more reliable than any 1911 I own. Mine only choke on Remington match 185's wad cutters which are set up for a Bullseye Competition 1911.

Edited by R1100R

I owned one of the Browning BDA (Sig P220) pistol's when they first reached the State's, magazine heel release and all and have since owned other's. The best advice I can offer is never get in a hurry on a Sig pistol or rifle purchase as another one will alway's turn up later. The P220 is really a nice pistol but other's are just as nice, I'd wait until I found the one I wanted in the condition I expected.

Guest dubaholic2

i dont know what prices you've seen, but i know we have a p220 at work and they sell for $899 in brand new condition, although they're not the carry model.

The are 220 that are all German parts but assembled in the USA. Get the serial number and call Sig.

I would buy a CPO long before I would buy a display that has been pawed over by God knows who. CPO's have been back to Sig checked out, repaired if needed and have a one year warranty.

Edited by The One