Buy handgun in TN without carry permit...

Guest thomas.allen12

Guest thomas.allen12

I have an Indiana carry permit. I am in the Army and live in TN. I no longer have an Indiana drivers license(switched to a TN drivers license) Can I buy a handgun in TN without a TN gun permit?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think TN does honor IN but I think if you have a TN license you must have a TN permit.....

Need TN permit once you've been resident for 6 months. Until then you can carry on IN permit.

It will only cost ya $50 renewal fee rather than the $115, but you have to take the course ($50-100).

Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

Buying handgun from FFL no prob, no carry permit or any other kind of permit required. You can also buy from an individual with no background check.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The military thing makes it weird. Although he resides in TN he is not really a TN resident even with TN License. Im assuming IN is your home of record. As long as it remains your home of record and your Indiana Permit is valid you can use it in TN. Military members are not required to change over residency when being stationed in a new state.

The military thing makes it weird. Although he resides in TN he is not really a TN resident even with TN License. Im assuming IN is your home of record. As long as it remains your home of record and your Indiana Permit is valid you can use it in TN. Military members are not required to change over residency when being stationed in a new state.

Ah, did not get that he was just stationed here. So he didn't have to get a TN DL either? I kinda thought when he mentioned that he was intending to change residency.

'Course, if you're not claiming TN residency, how does that affect buying handgun? Actually another question I've wondered, if you only have an on base address, does that suffice?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest thomas.allen12

I changed residency for tax purposes, but my Home of Record is still Indiana....I have an off post address in TN. This is way to confusing. I changed my license to a TN one because I took the motorcycle safety course and just got a TN license so I wouldn't have to drive all the way home to get my endorsement on my Indiana one.

I changed residency for tax purposes, but my Home of Record is still Indiana....I have an off post address in TN. This is way to confusing. I changed my license to a TN one because I took the motorcycle safety course and just got a TN license so I wouldn't have to drive all the way home to get my endorsement on my Indiana one.

Well, if TN considers you a resident, then I guess my previous post is correct -- lthough I don't know how Home of Record with military affects claimed state residency, so don't consider mine written in stone.

- OS

Guest thomas.allen12

Indiana lets you drive with expired license when in the military also, I just had to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license and that is why I got the TN license instead of just using my old Indiana license....

Does TN waive the gun safety class for military

"An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has: ...

(4) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military."

Others will have to tell you just what documentation they require.

- OS

I have way more than 4 hours, and multiple deployments....just no actual certificate saying so..

Assuming you qualified with handgun during training, this may help:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/13742-question-about-military-hangun-certifications.html

edit: Oh, here's a old one that's just been revived, too:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/35837-active-duty-military.html

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

By getting the TN DL you have cornered yourself into needing a TN HCP. I don't know technically if your covered right now or not. I just had to give a copy of my orders to buy handguns out of state when I was in the Military. You kind of get like a double residency. What was really weird was in Hawaii we had people with HI license that had a TN or whereever address.

I think you would be alright with a TN license because you are military.

However home or record is basically where you enlisted at. Because you changed your residency you probably made it so you need a TN permit.

Military has alot of exceptions, but once you change residency alot changes.

Iowa also allows you to have an expired license and will give you paperwork to prove this too.

Vehicle registration and drivers license is proof of residencey but being military it is a hey your there it's easier for you to get a license in that state kinda thing, don't worry about it.

Normally it's something like 6 months or less you have to change residency.

So long as your military you can have out of state plates and an in state license, or the other way around. Things like a carry permit change things though. Really change when you are a resident of the state you are in, and have a carry permit from another.

I would see if you can do the "renew" for TN. You would pay the renew fee with not test.

Guest bkelm18

'Course, if you're not claiming TN residency, how does that affect buying handgun? Actually another question I've wondered, if you only have an on base address, does that suffice?

- OS

You may purchase handguns in both your home state on record and the state you are stationed in. The entire time I was in the Navy, my home of record was TN. Always had a TN driver's license and TN plates. The only thing you need is a copy of your orders saying that you are stationed in the state to be able to purchase a handgun. Did it several times in Virginia.

As far as carrying, yeah that's a whole 'nother mess.

Edited to add: As Dave pointed out below, pretty sure you at least need an address within the state to go with your orders.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest thomas.allen12

I should be able to buy a gun in TN with just my TN drivers license and a TN address? Correct?? Then I guess I'll just take the safety course and get a TN permit with the renew option since I have an Indiana permit already. This seems to be the easiest choice to omit all the confusion. Thank you all for your help!