RECOIL WOW!

Sidinman

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they're free to let their money buy them happiness, but I fail to see any application for it. There's nothing it can do that a .50 BMG cannot do. After a certain point the amount of muzzle energy becomes moot. I will be hard pressed to accept that it can penetrate half as well as a .50 AP. I'll never believe it's more accurate. The rifle is ridiculously clumsy. The cartridge could have some antiaircraft applications on a mounted platform, but what can it do that a 20mm or 30mm cannot?

If they're happy with it, I'm happy for them, but I can't see it being anything more than a useless toy.

Well, they're free to let their money buy them happiness, but I fail to see any application for it. There's nothing it can do that a .50 BMG cannot do. After a certain point the amount of muzzle energy becomes moot. I will be hard pressed to accept that it can penetrate half as well as a .50 AP. I'll never believe it's more accurate. The rifle is ridiculously clumsy. The cartridge could have some antiaircraft applications on a mounted platform, but what can it do that a 20mm or 30mm cannot?

If they're happy with it, I'm happy for them, but I can't see it being anything more than a useless toy.

It can field dress large game all in one shot.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Guest BungieCord

The relationship between weapon weight and felt recoil is linear with respect to the recoil impulse. That is, if weapon weight doubles, felt recoil is reduced 50%.

I don't know what the Knight rifle weighs but the McMillian brothers rifle chambered in .950 JDJ weighed 80 pounds+. So while the cartridge generates 10x more recoil than a .30-06, with an 80# rifle, the felt recoil would be about the same as a single 8-pound .30-06.

The relationship between weapon weight and felt recoil is linear with respect to the recoil impulse. That is, if weapon weight doubles, felt recoil is reduced 50%.

I don't know what the Knight rifle weighs but the McMillian brothers rifle chambered in .950 JDJ weighed 80 pounds+. So while the cartridge generates 10x more recoil than a .30-06, with an 80# rifle, the felt recoil would be about the same as a single 8-pound .30-06.

When they say its producing the recoil of 10 30-06's they mean when you fire the weapon the felt recoil is 200+lbs and seeing as how typically 30-06's produce only 20lbs of felt recoil they are right in saying its like firing 10 30-06's at one time. Keep in mind, in the video the recoil is literally knocking the chair back,something a 8lb 30-06 doesnt do. When I first saw this thread I crunched the numbers in the same way you did but realized after the fact that they couldnt be talking about the ROUND simply producing 200lbs of recoil not including rifle weight,they had to be talking about the felt recoil of that round being fired out of that gun is 200+lbs of felt recoil. My main long range stick is chambered in 338 Lapua Mag, and my 338 produces 37lbs of recoil out of a 9.5lb rifle which is almost double the recoil of a 8lb 30-06 and the recoil of my 338 is no where near that of the recoil in the video.

Edited by ~48_South~
Guest Lester Weevils
Is it correct that felt recoil is considered "per square inch"?

Are there standardized specialized formulae that shooters or gun engineers use to quantify or compare felt recoil on small arms? I haven't studied enough to know. Centuries-old physics principles are adequate to the task, but is there a standardized unit of measure for rifle or pistol recoil? Like an ANSI spec for smallarms felt recoil?

Googled muzzle flip awhile ago and found some google books results for artillery engineering textbooks. One might suppose that after centuries of mounting artillery on ships, wheels, and planes, that engineers specializing in big guns most likely have it well defined?

If a rifle stock contacting the shoulder would have a diameter smaller than a pencil, then even a tame rifle might have painful recoil?

Except for novel rifle stocks that somehow spread the recoil over additional parts of the body, then there must be a practical upper limit of conventional stock surface area that could contact a shoulder?

Even with the biggest most comfortable conventional stock and fanciest shock absorbtion, then at some high power level its gonna knock down the shooter and/or break his shoulder regardless?

Getting into a high enough smallarms power level, bazookas and RPG's become more practical than rifles?

Guest FroggyOne2

Yes, if one has ever seen those Indians shooting that 500 T-Rex.. in the A-Square rifle.. getting themselves squarely knocked to the ground.. I had a friend that I was with I used to live in SC whom we were watching a fellow shooting a big bore gun.. at the time we didn't know what it was that he was shooting, found out that it was a .460 Weatherby.. well the fine ower of that rifle was shooting it off hand.. practicing to go to Africa for a hunt.. he offered to let us shoot it.. I declined.. but my buddy at the time.. said that he wanted to shoot it.. well he shot if off the bench.. and when he pulled the trigger, it cleaned and jerked him right off that seat and on to his butt.. but you have to know one thing about this fellow that I hung out with .. the only rifle he owned was a .22 magnum.. and he hunted everything in SC with that rifle and brought home the meat.. but it was funny to watch him have a new found respect for "Recoil".

Guest Lester Weevils

I found this video of a shoulder shock absorber apparently good enough to BARELY allow firing the equivalent of an 80mm mortar from standing position. Maybe something like that would help people who want crazy big rifles? Shoulder-fired missiles still seem more practical.

Guest robinsonfam1
Wonder if you can legally hunt deer with it lol lol

the basic laws say that it must be center fire 22 cal and larger IIRC.

the other laws not posted in regs book probably dictate some thing like: hunter shal not be wasteful in game, allowing a loss of meat. or something like that.

i know in alot of remote places out west/north where animals must be quartered and hauled out in packs the wardens will check the carcass and make sure meat is not wasted otherwise hunter gets cited. same if they find you packing meat and its not kept for properly allowing it to waste. guides can get into trouble for this as well but ultimately it is the hunters responsibility to take care of the animal and meat.

id say no as to legally being able to harvest deer or anything under the size of elephant. lol.