Just got another toy...Ruger Single Six

Seabeejason

The wife is going to kill me. I caught an extremely good deal on one from a fellow TGO member. I wanted to post this to brag about the gun a bit. I have to say that this is a really solid and well built revolver. Everything about it screams quality. From what I have read they are very accurate as well. This is the new model that includes the .22 magnum cylinder as well. I can't wait to take it to the range this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

It is a beautiful gun and I especially like the ivory grip. This is the only Ruger Single Six I have seen with this particular grip. I also just found out that there is now a Ruger Single Ten as well. The only difference is that it has a 10 round cylinder instead of a 6 round cylinder....and it costs more.

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The convertible, with the two cylinders for .22LR and .22WMR, has been in production for many many years.

A SS was my first handgun and I have a weak spot for them to this day. You can't go wrong with one. They are well built, solid and will last long enough to be handed down to your grandchildren's grandchildren.

I agree guys. It is a very nice gun. It completely puts my Glock to shame when it comes to how solid and pretty it is. I look at it like a woman looks at a 2 carat diamond. It is EXTREMELY unlikely I will ever sell or trade it. It will be one of the guns I give to my child (or possibly children if we have another one) once I get older. It will definitely be sitting in the safe with my 1965 Marlin Golden 39A from here on out. Which is a gun I have had since I was 4 years old. It was my first gun and the first gun I ever fired. I had the Golden Marlin Golden 39A sold to my neighbor last week for $450.00. But when I was fixing to finalize the sale I backed out. I just couldn't do it. I am glad I didn't now. I thought it was a 1958 model for a long time. But after researching it again I found out it is a 1965 model. I am going to head to Bills Outpost tomorrow and pick up some .22 magnum ammo to shoot this weekend. I already have 700 rounds of .22lr ammo. So I'm good there.

Edited by Seabeejason

I've been looking for a clean used Single Six every since I purchased a near flawless used New Model Bearcat last year. These are neo classic firearm's that should be in every active shooter's field gear or range bag due to they're utility and fun factor.

I've been looking for a clean used Single Six every since I purchased a near flawless used New Model Bearcat last year. These are neo classic firearm's that should be in every active shooter's field gear or range bag due to they're utility and fun factor.

Wayne (R1100R) just said he might have to post his up for sale soon. You may want to ask him about it and see if you two can work a deal. He lives in Gladeville, which is near Nashville. Not sure how close that is to you. Take a look at his post above.

Wayne, are you willing to part with that Single Six?

Edited by Seabeejason
Guest dubaholic2

great looking piece. i dont have one, but a buddy of mine has one just like it, minus the grips, and i love it. shoots like a million bucks. congrats on the new addition.

great looking piece. i dont have one, but a buddy of mine has one just like it, minus the grips, and i love it. shoots like a million bucks. congrats on the new addition.

Thanks! I am already thinking about grabbing another one just so I can holster two of them on a belt. Just like the folks done back in the wild west days. It would be a blast to pull out two of them at the same time and destroy a row of cans. That will be a while though. The gun fund is completely drained now.

I picked one up at a gunshow about 2 years ago for under 300 otd. Stainless model with the 22 mag cyl as well. I traded it off figuring I would have no problem getting another one in that price range. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Did the same thing with stainless Security Six. From now on any Ruger Revolvers I get will never leave my possesion.

I picked one up at a gunshow about 2 years ago for under 300 otd. Stainless model with the 22 mag cyl as well. I traded it off figuring I would have no problem getting another one in that price range. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Did the same thing with stainless Security Six. From now on any Ruger Revolvers I get will never leave my possesion.

That was a helluva deal. I got mine for $440.00, which was a bargain. A used one would likely be over $600 with taxes included at the store. And that is if you can even find a used one. The new ones go for close to $600.00 before taxes from what I have seen. The only store that has one around here is WD Sporting Goods in Alcoa and it is a new one. Finding a used one from an individual is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. It is nearly impossible.

Finding a used one from an individual is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. It is nearly impossible.

Think a single six is scarce....How many used Bearcats come up these days?

Funny thing is that 15 years ago people looked at the .22 ruger revolvers and said "Why?" Certainly isn't the case now....they are a hot item!!! I have a friend with a birdshead 4 5/8" single six with fixed sights - stainless....it is about the coolest gun I have ever seen.

1.jpg

The Single Six is not scarce. They are available online. Most dealers don't stock them because they sit a long time due to pricing. Since the Heritage Rough Rider (SA 22/22Mag) was introduce at roughly half the price it has cut into this market. They do offer a steel frame but most are cast with a alloy frame. They are no where near the quality of a Ruger. A swing gate SA revolver only has an appeal to a set crowd. I grew up shooting them. My Son thinks they are a hassle, awkward to load, bad grip angle and just not that accurate in .22 LR.(22 MAG works better in this pistol to me). He is 12 years old and loves the P22 due to being tacti-cool. I think sales of this pistol are age generated or you grew up shooting one.

Rough Rider SA <br>Small Bore Revolvers - Heritage Manufacturing, Inc

Edited by R1100R

I am not much for buying a gun online. I like to see and hold the gun before buying it. So, the used Single Six's online do not even exist to me. I agree about the Heritage. I held a couple of them and they just felt too cheap. After holding the Ruger there is absolutely no comparison. I am a firm believer in the expression "you get what you pay for", especially when it comes to guns. The Ruger completely feels and looks like a better built gun. I think it is well worth the extra few hundred you will pay for the Ruger. As far as them being age specific I think that is partially true. .22 Revolvers have a certain appeal that sets them apart. For me, it is a combination of things. I think the quality is unmatched due to their simplicity and the fact that most are solid metal just like other revolvers. I am also a big history buff as well, so that plays a part too. I have also been around revolvers since I was a kid. But the ironic thing is that I have more shooting experience with polymer guns. I think there is something about a good revolver that you just can't get with a poly gun. They are guns that can be handed down through generations. I will always have a weak spot for a good revolver.