.327 Federal?

moondawg

Anyone have any experience with it? I noticed the Ruger SP101 is available in .357, .327 Federal and .38. I know about the .357 and the .38, and their ammo is pretty common anywhere you go. Is .327 ammo readily available? I've never seen it at Bass Pro, Wal Mart, etc (then again, I've never paid attention to it, either)...but I've seen .357 and .38 ammo there.

I've looked at the ballistics...it looks like it's close to a .357, and it's more powerful than a .38. Interesting.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest buck7997

I have not had any experiece but I did a little research on the 327 before I bought my Sp101. The ballistics like you stated are very close to 357 with recoil closer to 38. I went for the 357 just b/c the ammo was more readily avaliable but I guess if your reload that would not be an issue.

The plus factor with the 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal is increased performance and penetration from a pocket pistol platform. The icing on the cake is this doesn’t inhibit controllability of the revolver so you have less recoil and muzzle flip than a warmish 38 Special or mild 357 Magnum in an airweight snubby while picking up an additional round. It’s all about tradeoffs and what works best for you but for some in search of a self defense revolver it’s a solution. For others it’s an ideal back up. In a 3” to 4” barreled revolver it’s a small game getter and wood’s gun. Yes, I'm a fan of the round and hope Ruger bring's it out in the LCR.

I_Like_Pie pretty well hit the nail on the head. The real use of the 327 will be us reloaders. I like the idea of a 32 caliber that can be stoked up or down. The CAS shooters must have all the 327 and 32 HR single actions bought up, i cant find one anywhere at a reasonable price. I think they are a great "woods gun" for plinkin. A 32 is very accurate. I like 'em.

leroy

The sp101 is a heavy enough revolver that you can't go wrong with the .357 mag.

That's my reasoning. That and pretty much everyone (even Wal Mart) carry .357 bullets. I can shoot .38s for plinking. I've actually shot a box of 125 gr .357 bullets with a rental SP101, and didn't do too bad. I know I will need to practice, but that will be the fun part. :)

The perfect revolver for a .32 cartridge is the one Ruger makes on the Single Six platform. (not the newer one based upon the blackhawk).

This gun in the 6 1/2" barrel is almost a perfect hunting pistol for small game/trappers.

I am surprised they aren't more popular in lever guns either.

.32 H&R is a fantastic little cartridge - Particularly with reloaders who are fans of shooting the .22 magnum, but not the cost of the ammo.