Another Permit Holder Succumbs to the "Bring Your Guns to New York City Syndrome."

waynesan

And it happens again. What does this make?....3-4 times in the last month where permit holders are caught with guns in New York City. It must be a sickness that's coming over some people to make them want to do this.

Ohio Gun Owner Busted in NYC

NEW YORK - An Ohio man who has a gun permit in his home state was the latest New York City tourist to be caught in the web of New York's strict gun laws.

Fred Vankirk, 59, of Columbus, Ohio, was slapped with handcuffs at about 11:00am local time Saturday after cops found two .357 Magnum pistols and a .45 semiautomatic in his room at the Radisson Hotel on Lexington Avenue, police sources told the New York Post .

Read more: Ohio Gun Owner Busted in NYC

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem ridiculous. But it sheds light on what it would be like if the anti-gunners get their way in this country. No door-to-door knocking, but one at a time. One slip up, someone sees your gun and turns you in.

It is stupid of the man though. Why do you need 3? If you have 1, keep it hidden. So dumb. Maybe learn some hand to hand combat skills and leave the gun at home.

Sent from my Mom's basement

Maybe the extra attention given by the media is due to the recent case of the woman at the WTC memorial and the publicity that was given. This may be something that happens often but isn't often reported. Just a thought.

I don't think this is anything new I think these are just getting more publicity now for some reason.

Yep, this has been happening for years. Interestingly enough, most of the stories seem to have a 'Brady Bunch' slant on them. It's kind of like they are trying to drum up some outrage that anyone would have the audacity to actually think it might be legal to carry a handgun!

Most of the comments are anti-NYC, though! I know that I sure won't be spending any of my money there!

And how did they "find" these weapons in the hotel room? Did the maid rat him out? If so, was she searching through his stuff?

According to the story:

Vankirk was receiving room service Saturday when a hotel employee spotted the loaded .357 Magnum on the nightstand, police sources said. She reported it to security, who contacted police, according to the sources.

Read more: Ohio Gun Owner Busted in NYC

I always check local laws when going out of state. Haven't been to NY lately but are you telling me that it is illegal to posses a loaded gun in a hotel room? I understand that you cannot carry out in public but legally a rented room is a temporary residence, so it illegal for New Yorkers to have a firearm in the house as well? Seems silly to me.

I always check local laws when going out of state. Haven't been to NY lately but are you telling me that it is illegal to posses a loaded gun in a hotel room? I understand that you cannot carry out in public but legally a rented room is a temporary residence, so it illegal for New Yorkers to have a firearm in the house as well? Seems silly to me.

Unloaded ones, too. Read my lips: no handguns in NYC. Period. Much less NY State.

Guest WyattEarp
You cannot have a handgun at all in nyc, not in any way shape or form

wow, this is the first I've heard of this.

i thought it was carrying too. I've never heard you couldn't own a handgun in NYC. but then again, i don't live there and I don't know their laws either.

"...cops found two .357 Magnum pistols and a .45 semiautomatic in his room at the Radisson Hotel...."

And how did they "find" these weapons in the hotel room? Did the maid rat him out? If so, was she searching through his stuff?

since when is hearsay grounds for the police to search his room? that means I could claim someone I don't like who was staying at a hotel in NYC has a handgun in their room and say I saw it, and they can just go in there and search?

wow.

Unloaded ones, too. Read my lips: no handguns in NYC. Period. Much less NY State.

what? not even in your own residence? is that legal? i thought all citizens had the right to keep and bear arms per the 2nd Amendment and the USSC's ruling a few years ago?

Edited by WyattEarp
what? not even in your own residence? is that legal? i thought all citizens had the right to keep and bear arms per the 2nd Amendment and the USSC's ruling a few years ago?

They ruled that you have a right to own guns but the state can put reasonable restrictions on requirements; like requiring a handgun permit and training.

Heres is how New York City gets by with it:

NYPD - Permits

And here is how Chicago gets by with it:

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/portal/page/portal/ClearPath/About CPD/Firearm Registration

since when is hearsay grounds for the police to search his room? that means I could claim someone I don't like who was staying at a hotel in NYC has a handgun in their room and say I saw it, and they can just go in there and search?

It’s not hearsay; she was an eye witness.

I would think they would need a warrant for a hotel room, which they could get pretty quick. But maybe they don’t need it if it is a safety issue and they have the hotel owner’s permission. Maybe they got a warrant; who knows?

well, I will never be going to NYC ever then, for any reason whatsoever.

I wouldn't let NYC gun laws deter you from ever visiting the city. Everybody should go at least once. It is a very neat place, although sort of dirty. I have been several times and I was never worried about my safety. Heck, the last time I went I took my older sister and mother and they went all around Harlem (walking and taking the train).

My brother lives on Long Island and he tells me that you can own a handgun, but you have to get a permit for one (just to own it), which he tells me is a pain in the butt.

Guest lostpass

I wouldn't ever go to New York City not because I'm worried about my safety (I'm not usually, well, one time in East St. Louis) but rather because I just have a pretty big moral objection to all the restrictions. I've been to San Francisco on business a few times and I really liked it. Felt perfectly safe and all but damned if I'd go there voluntarily because my enjoyment of the place (and it was cool) does not outweigh my disdain for the gun laws.

DC has terrible gun laws but the Smithsonian is enough to make me voluntarily visit.

All that said, if someplace in Nebraska had the most liberal gun laws ever it wouldn't entice me enough to visit. Hell, I lived (if you can call it that) in Nebraska for a few years. So I'm not basing vacation plans just based on gun laws.

I wouldn't ever go to New York City not because I'm worried about my safety (I'm not usually, well, one time in East St. Louis) but rather because I just have a pretty big moral objection to all the restrictions. I've been to San Francisco on business a few times and I really liked it. Felt perfectly safe and all but damned if I'd go there voluntarily because my enjoyment of the place (and it was cool) does not outweigh my disdain for the gun laws.

DC has terrible gun laws but the Smithsonian is enough to make me voluntarily visit.

All that said, if someplace in Nebraska had the most liberal gun laws ever it wouldn't entice me enough to visit. Hell, I lived (if you can call it that) in Nebraska for a few years. So I'm not basing vacation plans just based on gun laws.

Likewise. I have been to San Francisco and New York City on business and actually rather enjoyed my visit to both places. However, their politics and mine do not mesh. I never felt threatened in either place and they are wonderful cities but not the kinda place that I would want to support with my money.