Permit class in or around Franklin, TN?

Any recommendations on where to go for the permit carry class in or around Franklin? I'd be happy to drive out to somewhere else, if there's a good reason to.Would it be OK to take my wife to the class as well, considering she has only put maybe 10 rounds through a pistol in her life? Or should I get her some range time first? I'm guessing it would be better for her to have someone experienced teaching her what to do, but I don't know if the classes are geared towards people with experience or not...Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend the Goodlettsville Gun Shop! Phillip is a great guy and former Metro PD. they have a great reputation. It's worth the drive!! Take your wife even if she doesn't get her permit. The cert. is good for 1 year. She can learn rules/regulations/laws. They provide a gun for the class if a newbie or first timer, very friendly and patient.

Edited by k9wh91984

That sounds pretty nice! I plan on buying a Glock 17 to take the class (and because everyone needs to own at least one Glock and a 9mm handgun, so why not kill two birds with one stone...right? :)), so if it is at a gun shop, they could also get my business along with the class enrollment!

I hate to plug Uselton's in Franklin, but the instructor there was excellent. When my wife and I wanted to learn to shoot (not the HCP class, just a basic how to), we went there. We paid through the nose for it, but in fairness, it was a private lesson and it served its purpose. He took his time and was very patient with both of us. We did our HCP class together at GnL. Much cheaper, but definitely not private instruction.

HCP is $65 at GnL, $125 at Uselton's. I don't know if they have a class size limit, but they don't have a lot of room. I'd suspect you'd be in a class of 10 or less, possibly even just yourself.

<<edit to correct GnL price>>

Edited by monkeylizard
I hate to plug Uselton's in Franklin, but the instructor there was excellent. When my wife and I wanted to learn to shoot (not the HCP class, just a basic how to), we went there. We paid through the nose for it, but in fairness, it was a private lesson and it served its purpose. He took his time and was very patient with both of us. We did our HCP class together at GnL. Much cheaper, but definitely not private instruction.

HCP is $60 at GnL, $125 at Uselton's. I don't know if they have a class size limit, but they don't have a lot of room. I'd suspect you'd be in a class of 10 or less, possibly even just yourself.

i was about to take it at useltons but then bought a groupon for Academy of Self Defense. I think the owner of Useltons is a retired law man so that is always a good thing I guess

Guest Grubbah

I took mine through the Small Arms Training School (S.A.T.S) which is taught at the Sheriff's range in Franklin. Its behind what I believe is the juvenile detention center on Century court in franklin. Good set of instructors there and they made what could have been a real boring long day pretty fun.

Jim Mauth is the primary instructor there and you can get info about class availability at 615-794-3333.

--edit--

also, it would be perfectly fine to take your wife to this class too. Our class had quite a few couples there, and the range of experience went from a few people who had never shot a gun in their life all the way to one guy who was a competitive shooter. We even had a grandmother there who was in her late 60's. The instructors do a good job of identifying who needs a little more hands on work on the range and they spent the time with those who needed it.

Edited by Grubbah
Guest bluecanary25

Jim Carter outside Murfreesboro, Hwy 102 and 96, off I840. Very mellow instructor. Wife and son been through his classes. Both liked him, felt very comfortable. They recommended him to friends that have interest in getting HCP.

Did a search, listed as "The Gun Shop". Outdoor range, indoor class and can return later to target shoot at no charge... just make appointment. I did not take my class there, but have met Jim several times. Very nice gentleman.

i was about to take it at useltons but then bought a groupon for Academy of Self Defense. I think the owner of Useltons is a retired law man so that is always a good thing I guess

Yeah, Rick Uselton is retired law enforcement, but he was not the instructor. It was an older guy who reminded me of R. Lee Ermy in an odd sort of way.

brent_strong, you may want to give the Williamson Co. Sheriff's office a call at (615) 790-5560. I know they used to do HCP classes, and I think they were F.R.E.E. that spells free. I don't know if they still have the classes or if any are coming up in the forseeable future, but it won't hurt to call.

Edited by monkeylizard
I took mine through the Small Arms Training School (S.A.T.S) which is taught at the Sheriff's range in Franklin. Its behind what I believe is the juvenile detention center on Century court in franklin. Good set of instructors there and they made what could have been a real boring long day pretty fun.

Jim Mauth is the primary instructor there and you can get info about class availability at 615-794-3333.

--edit--

also, it would be perfectly fine to take your wife to this class too. Our class had quite a few couples there, and the range of experience went from a few people who had never shot a gun in their life all the way to one guy who was a competitive shooter. We even had a grandmother there who was in her late 60's. The instructors do a good job of identifying who needs a little more hands on work on the range and they spent the time with those who needed it.

I took a group from church to Jim's class. My wife went because she let her permit expire and Jim let me sit in on the class for free since I brought so many students. This was my third permit class. Once when I got mine, the second was from the Goodletesville Gun shop the first time my wife got her permit, and then Jim's.

GGS treated my wife like a child. She was taking the class with a Ruger GP100 and the instructor made all the women folk load one round at a time for all 50 rounds and took the women off to another part of the range to give them "special instruction" as if no woman could be proficient with a firearm! This was a large group I put together from work and some guys brought there wives. Non of the wives felt like it was a very good experience. Now this was about 6 years ago so things may have changed.

Jim Mauth however was completely professional even to the ladies. He did have all the ladies shoot in the middle with guys on the outside so his instructors could see how they were on safety and wisely made sure the spouses were not next to their husbands because he wanted himself and his instructors, not husbands, giving input. Jim and his guys were very encouraging and instantly saw that my wife was one of the better shooters and held up her paper to show she shot better than nearly every guy. It was a great experience and most of all my wife felt respected during the experience.