ok... here's one for ya, Carry on a Golf course???

Let me start by saying I dont play Golf... never have, probably never will. Its just not my cup of tea. I feel if its that nice outside I'd rather be fishing, hunting, boating, shooting... or just about anything but playing golf.

Here's my question....

I have been told golf courses have a "beer" cart that comes around and serves the players... if thats so, and I dont know... then doesn't that mean we cant carry on a golf course????

Now dont slam me... I dont know if this is a common practice or not, or even if its true.

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bighometheater

First of all I would like to say that I wouldNOT be caught sober on a golf course . But I do have freinds that golf and they tell me you can NOT carry on the course. Witch has got to be a waste of some realy good targets.:D

Edited by bighometheater
I can't spell
Guest Medic908

Most courses I've played in TN do not have a beer cart on the course unless it's a private country club or tournament. However, most every course I've played in Myrtle Beach, SC has a beer cart passing you or waiting on you every other hole.

Most courses have a snack bar or restaurant that serves beer - I guess I'd be inclined to follow TCA regarding prohibition of carry in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises - I'm not sure an open golf course would qualify - unless the prohibition of weapons is explicitly mentioned in the rules of the course or appropriately posted at the entrance of the club.

However, I've never been subjected to a search of my golf bag...

Seems like this has come up before...but maybe it was another board.

The law says you can't carry "within the confines of a building" that serves alcohol for onsite consumption. 39-17-1305 So if you are outside I think you'd be ok. It also say "open to the public" so if it is a private club, the law doesn't apply at all anyway. So you could even carry inside the building of a private club.

Of course I wouldn't recommend drinking any alcohol in either situation. 39-17-1321

has anyone ever heard of a situation where a firearm was needed on a golf course?

I used to play and I do not think you could really play golf at a proficient level wearing a gun. The only thing I ever shot on a golf course was a Titleist. I suppose if you want your gun with you the golf bag would be a good place to keep it.

i dunno though but in the 25 years I was in the business I never saw a gun or heard of anyone having one.

A member at the last club I worked at did have an Ariska in his trunk. It was nice. Had all original markings and he claimed he took it as a souvenier during WW2.

There were several members of that club who had shotguns in their trunks all the time. Never heard much talk about handguns.

Eddie, "even God can't hit a 1 iron."

Edited by Mike.357
to add
Guest TNDixieGirl
Guest CrazyLincoln
Guest TNDixieGirl

Do you mean the states? LA, TX, FL, SC, PA....absolutely not. Australia I can't vouch for. CA is pretty restricted. My only point was it definitely happens on a golf course too.

wow Dixie, who'd a thunk it. Next time I play golf I am going strapped!

The country club I worked for in Boca Raton was protected by Wackenhut. Those guys were armed. They even had a "ninja" force who rode around at night in blackened golf carts and carried automatic weapons.

One time a kid who worked for me was at the driving range picking balls at dusk. He came tearing back to the cart barn saying he saw guys in the bushes dressed in black with their faces blacked out, and "they got rifles". I called security and was told that they were starting an exercise. LOL those guys had night vision, stun grenades, hearing enhancement, the whole nine yards.

I used the fact that the Ninjas were out and about to help curtail pot smoking amongst the staff. It is like you know they are doing it but can't catch them red handed. So I just pointed out that you never know when Wackenhut is hiding out some where observing goings on. It worked.

has anyone ever heard of a situation where a firearm was needed on a golf course?

I used to play and I do not think you could really play golf at a proficient level wearing a gun. The only thing I ever shot on a golf course was a Titleist. I suppose if you want your gun with you the golf bag would be a good place to keep it.

i dunno though but in the 25 years I was in the business I never saw a gun or heard of anyone having one.

A member at the last club I worked at did have an Ariska in his trunk. It was nice. Had all original markings and he claimed he took it as a souvenier during WW2.

There were several members of that club who had shotguns in their trunks all the time. Never heard much talk about handguns.

Eddie, "even God can't hit a 1 iron."

I usually just put my gun in the valuables pocket of my golf bag. I've considered getting a 45/410 derringer to keep in there in case I run into another copperhead... But that was at the most redneck golf course on the face of creation... I know a few guys who keep a derringer in their pockets for that reason alone. I don't think a hip or IWB holster would be feasible for golf... but pocket carry wouldn't pose too many problems.

God may not be able to hit a 1 Iron, but I can. :D

I don't play much any more simply because I have other hobbies, but when I do play, I carry. I carry a full size gun and spare mag on my hip, just like any other day of the week. It's already been covered, but golf courses aren't immune to violence.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest C4Dave

There's a story about a golfer who carried a shotgun in his golf bag. He was at the Davy Crockett golf course in north Memphis once and pulled it on a BG after he was robbed.

A few years ago there were several robberies on the Fox Meadows golf course in Memphis. That course in next to some apartments, and the bad guys were jumping the fence and robbing golfers.