CCW Postings

Guest nraforlife

Guest nraforlife

At a minimum what is required to be posted to make a business off limits to CCW holders here in TN? Can a theater get away with a small firearm with a red slash sticker on their ticket window and not the main doors which bypass the ticket office? :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

No, a simple firearm with a slash through it is not sufficient to officially ban CCW. Here's the law on it: (the posting must bear a strong resemblance to the part in bold)

(a) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by §§ 39-17-1351 — 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

That being said, the owner of the business can still ask you to leave if your weapon is discovered even if the establishment isn't posted properly, and you must leave or you can be charged with trespassing.

Guest kwikrnu

From what I was told the other day on this site that is not enough it has to have language similar to what is found in code 39-17-1359

The AG opinion 07-43 on 4-9-2007 also says the gun slash sign is not sufficient.

At a minimum what is required to be posted to make a business off limits to CCW holders here in TN? Can a theater get away with a small firearm with a red slash sticker on their ticket window and not the main doors which bypass the ticket office? :D

Im guessing you are talking about Regal. Here was their response to a email i sent them regarding the policy.

"Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns regarding our facility security policies. Please understand that Regal Entertainment Group, with the assistance of safety experts and law enforcement personnel, has developed policies and procedures designed to provide the safest environment for our guests and employees. Rest assured these policies and procedures are not designed with the intent to inconvenience or otherwise cause hardship to our guests. However, we believe these policies appropriate to assure the general safety of all guests and employees.

Again, thank you for taking the time to advise us of your concerns.

Sincerely,

Clint Roberts

Senior Customer Relations Associate "

No i dont believe it to be a legal posting and i believe you would have to be ask to leave and refuse to get in trouble.

Let me ask you this. Do you really want to give your hard earned money to a company that post those signs regardless of the legality?

The pointing out of a nonconforming sign can lead to the installation of a proper conforming sign...

Are you suggesting that we don't speak up about something we disagree with just cause the sign doesn't fit anti-ccw requirement.

I don't care if it is a legal posting or not i'm not gonna give them my money. I also believe very strongly that if i'm not gonna give them my money i should tell them why. Simply ignoring signs doesn't get them removed

But I CARE about my 8 dollars and im not gonna give it to them. And im not gonna shrug it off. The only reason gun control has been successful in this country is people wont stand up for what they want. And ya know what you miss my point i don't care if they post a legal sign or not i'm still not gonna go there :D. Not to mention there are states that the sign is legal.

Guess what you don't have to tell them if the sign is enforceable or not. Enough people simply saying they wont go will be enough to get the sign down. Guess you never figured that out did ya.

As other's have said no...that is not a legal posting. Here is a link to the above mentioned AG opinion

The pointing out of a nonconforming sign can lead to the installation of a proper conforming sign...

Very true...just like the asking of the question got a sign posted at the library in Jackson.

Are you suggesting that we don't speak up about something we disagree with just cause the sign doesn't fit anti-ccw requirement.

I don't care if it is a legal posting or not i'm not gonna give them my money. I also believe very strongly that if i'm not gonna give them my money i should tell them why. Simply ignoring signs doesn't get them removed

But I CARE about my 8 dollars and im not gonna give it to them. And im not gonna shrug it off. The only reason gun control has been successful in this country is people wont stand up for what they want. And ya know what you miss my point i don't care if they post a legal sign or not i'm still not gonna go there :eek:. Not to mention there are states that the sign is legal.

Guess what you don't have to tell them if the sign is enforceable or not. Enough people simply saying they wont go will be enough to get the sign down. Guess you never figured that out did ya.

I don't think anyone is saying don't let them know you don't like the policy and Yes, try and get it changed. But don't tell them that the sign isn't legal. That way if someone still chooses to go and carry they can only be asked to leave. If the change it to a legal sign and for some reason someone carried past it, they could be charged even without being asked to leave. In TN a properly posted sign carries the weight of law, unlike in some other states.

To Whom It My Concern:

I recently tried to see a movie at your East Town mall location in Knoxville Tn. For the first time I noticed a "No Guns" sign in the window of the ticket booth. I was later informed by a third party that the same sign is posted at all of your locations. I am offended, first as a law-abiding licensed gun owner, and secondly as a citizen of the U.S. that you would disregard the Constitution of the United States.

Are you aware that gun owners, especially those with a license to carry a concealed pistol, are some of the most law-abiding people in this nation? That is fact, not conjecture...you can look up the statistics. In addition, you have to go through an extensive background check and have a proven record of responsibility and good citizenship even to obtain the license.

Criminals, whose guns are NOT licensed, are the people you should be concerned about, and it doesn't take a genius realize that those criminals will pay no attention to your signs. To say it another way, why not put up the following sign instead of the one you now use:

ATTENTION CRIMINALS

All law-abiding citizens in this theater

have been unconstitutionally disarmed

for your convenience.

Thank You,

The Management

Does this sound absurd to you? It should, but this is exactly what your sign is saying.

I would urge you to reconsider your policy. As long as your theaters are denying me the right to self-protection, I will no be patronizing your theaters. There are several other theaters in the area that respect my legal rights so from now on i will patronize those competitors. I can also assure you that everyone I know, and those on every Internet forum I visit will also be made aware of your policy.

Please do the right thing. I prefer your theaters and will happily return my business when the signs are removed. Thank you for your time.

James Pruett

Knoxville Tn,

Guest flyfishtn

James, just a couple of points of correction, you are not licensed to carry, you are "permitted" to carry and it is a carry permit not a concealed carry permit.

Other than those corrections, I applaud you for the letter.

James, just a couple of points of correction, you are not licensed to carry, you are "permitted" to carry and it is a carry permit not a concealed carry permit.

Other than those corrections, I applaud you for the letter.

You are correct the state of Tn Issues permits and they are carry permits. I am actually a resident of the state of West Virginia. In WV it is a license and it is for concealed carry since the state allows for open carry without a license.

However for the purposes of that letter I should have worded it with regard to TN law since that was were i was directed and even with reciprocity my permit still falls under TN guidelines.

Thank You for the support. I wrote that letter several years ago and looking back now i would have worded things differently.

To Whom It My Concern:

I recently tried to see a movie at your East Town mall location in Knoxville Tn. For the first time I noticed a "No Guns" sign in the window of the ticket booth. I was later informed by a third party that the same sign is posted at all of your locations. I am offended, first as a law-abiding licensed gun owner, and secondly as a citizen of the U.S. that you would disregard the Constitution of the United States.

Are you aware that gun owners, especially those with a license to carry a concealed pistol, are some of the most law-abiding people in this nation? That is fact, not conjecture...you can look up the statistics. In addition, you have to go through an extensive background check and have a proven record of responsibility and good citizenship even to obtain the license.

Criminals, whose guns are NOT licensed, are the people you should be concerned about, and it doesn't take a genius realize that those criminals will pay no attention to your signs. To say it another way, why not put up the following sign instead of the one you now use:

ATTENTION CRIMINALS

for your convenience.

Thank You,

The Management

Does this sound absurd to you? It should, but this is exactly what your sign is saying.

I would urge you to reconsider your policy. As long as your theaters are denying me the right to self-protection, I will not be patronizing your theaters. There are several other theaters in the area that respect my legal rights so from now on i will patronize those competitors. I can also assure you that everyone I know, and those on every Internet forum I visit will also be made aware of your policy.

Please do the right thing. I prefer your theaters and will happily return my business when the signs are removed. Thank you for your time.

James Pruett

Knoxville Tn,

Fixed it for you.

Hey James, what part of WV are you from? I was born and raised in WV but have lived in TN for almost 11 years now.

Bluefield. last town before you cross into Va headed south on 77. What about you?

Guest mikedwood
To Whom It My Concern:

ATTENTION CRIMINALS

for your convenience.

Thank You,

The Management

I would urge you to reconsider your policy. As long as your theaters are denying me the right to self-protection, I will no be patronizing your theaters. There are several other theaters in the area that respect my legal rights so from now on i will patronize those competitors. I can also assure you that everyone I know, and those on every Internet forum I visit will also be made aware of your policy.

James Pruett

Knoxville Tn,

That was one great letter! Nice job James Pruett.

There was a shooting outside the East Town Mall theater a few weeks ago. I think it was wanna be thugs.

I wonder if they don't want you to have a gun cause it feels like they are robbing you? Last time I went to the movies it was almost $30 for 2, just 2 tickets and a couple of drinks and a popcorn.

I believe that many put up the firearm with slash sign just to CTA (cover their A#@). They could put up proper signage if they so desired.

I agree but if we don't fight it at the very bottom were will we be.

Edited by jpruett79
That was one great letter! Nice job James Pruett.

There was a shooting outside the East Town Mall theater a few weeks ago. I think it was wanna be thugs.

I wonder if they don't want you to have a gun cause it feels like they are robbing you? Last time I went to the movies it was almost $30 for 2, just 2 tickets and a couple of drinks and a popcorn.

Thank you very much.

Ill be honest With the TVs you can buy now i don't understand why anybody goes to the movies if its not a special occasion. I'm far more comfortable on my sofa than i am in any movie theater.

Also If anybody would like to use that letter as a template to send to business feel free. I also have several others i have sent over the years too that i would be happy to provide.

Guest Boomhower
Yes, Class B

And in Tennessee a Class B misdemeanor means "not greater than six (6) months in jail or a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500), or both, unless otherwise provided by statute"...source...am I correct in this? Do the gun law statute's call out for jail time or just a $500 fine? I'm just trying to weed out a little info here.