Some Thoughts on Reloading the Pistol

Guest Paul Gomez

Guest Paul Gomez

OK, this ought to be pretty old hat for most folks around here, but I put this together for a difference audience. Hopefully, it's worthwhile for TPI, too. Let me know what ya'll think.

The first thing to address is where to put the gun to attempt to get it reloaded. After that, we have to look at how to best get the task completed in the context of the problem we are trying to deal with.

Reloading the pistol breaks down into two categories: Proactive and Reactive. No matter what name a technique is given, the reloads all break down into Proactive and Reactive. What do I mean? You either believe you have some bullets in the gun and want to put more bullets in the gun OR there are no bullets in the gun and you need to put bullets in the gun. All 'Tactical Reloads' are examples of Proactive reloads and most 'Speed Reloads' are examples of Reactive reloads. Of course, you could choose to execute a speed reload as a tactical reload, too. :mrgreen:

Proactive Reloads occur when you choose to exchange the partial magazine in the gun for a full magazine. Some teach to always manipulate the slide after any reload. Others teach not to manipulate the slide on a proactive reload. Some teach to perform a Press Check after a proactive reload.

Reactive Reloads occur when the gun is out of ammo and you need bullets in the gun ASAP. This is referred to as a Speed or Emergency or Combat reload by some.

Different methods of operating the slide are taught by several folks. Some grasp the slide in an overhand fashion. Others utilize a 'sling shot' grip to move the slide. Still others use the gun hand thumb to move the slide release. And others will manipulate the slide release with the offhand thumb.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good videos. Since you ask what we think, I think the third video is spot on about how to do a defensive shooting reload.

The first two are for competition shooters. I believe that you will react in the same way you train. Juggling two magazines may be something you want to do at the range target shooting, but it’s not something you want to do in a SD shooting. You should be able to separate the two types of training in your mind when you are doing them. If you have time to swap out a partial magazine and empty your second mag, and are still alive, you will probably have time to pick the first mag up and use it. I don’t have any stats on this but I would think the chances of having to do that would be less than winning Power Ball. :)

My mag is dropping clear of the weapon with a push of the button, second mag is then loaded. This should be practiced until it is fluid and can be done without fumbling, looking at the gun or mag, and without worrying about the first mag.

Guest Paul Gomez
Very good videos. Since you ask what we think, I think the third video is spot on about how to do a defensive shooting reload.

Thanks. A number of folks do rely on some variation of the Reactive/Speed/Emergency reload as their primary technique. However, a case can be made for some sort of magazine exchange reload as well, I think.

The first two are for competition shooters.

And for anyone who may not have a ready resupply of magazines in a mobile, rapidly changing environment.

I believe that you will react in the same way you train. Juggling two magazines may be something you want to do at the range target shooting, but it’s not something you want to do in a SD shooting. You should be able to separate the two types of training in your mind when you are doing them.

I'm not sure about this one. We are creatures of habit and if your plan is to always dump the mag in the gun, then that is what you should practice. If that is your plan, I'd get in the habit of getting the fresh mag in hand and up to the gun before dropping the in-gun magazine.

If you have time to swap out a partial magazine and empty your second mag, and are still alive, you will probably have time to pick the first mag up and use it.

This assumes you are still in the same spot for all of that time. I'm not sure I'd count on hunkering down in one spot for that amount of time.

Great vids, Paul.

That's exactly how I teach reloads for my Dept...for exactly the same reasons (although, I do look over the muzzle while the pistol is in my "workspace").

We've taken a couple of classes together over the years and I've always appreciated your thoughts then, too.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to training with you when teaching in the Southeast.

Guest Paul Gomez

Thanks, dude. This is one of those things that has been around for decades and, once people give it a try, tends to work pretty well. It can be hard for people to try something other than what they know for a number of reasons.