Defense / Tactical Shotgun Choices

SupaRice

Why is it that almost all of the Defense / Tactical shotguns I look at are pump? I know some people say, the sound of a pump will scare someone out of your house... I'm not in that camp. If it comes time for me to pick it up, there will be blood. Plus, I want the ability to send follow up shots or engage multiple targets quickly.

I mean, by now, surely semi-auto guns are just as reliable and jam free as a pump right?

Thoughts?

What's your favorite semi-auto shotgun?

Edited by SupaRice
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the major brands of shotguns for us common folks will do you just fine, Mossberg or Remington. if you have deeper pockets you can look at some Benelli's.

I may be the only one, but my home defense weapons of choice are: Stoeger Coach Supreme (nothing like both barrels at the same time) and a Ruger Super Redhawk with alternating 300gr turned brass and 260gr JHP .454 Casull, my wife will be waiting with her Mossberg 500 12ga and her Sig P6.

I wouldn't think weight would be an issue, unless you live in some ridiculously large house or are chasing them down the road. I would have to guess people get the pump shotguns for the noise, I know that's what my wife likes about it. I agree with you though, you come in my house unwelcome, you won't be leaving the same as when you came in.

Since I've only been introduced to one semi-auto shotgun I would have to go with a Benelli M4. The one I shot wasn't too light, but it ate up magnum shells fast and was smooth.

Edited by gunrunner32

The utter reliability of a pump as well.

What is going to happen when your semi-automatic shotgun fails to cycle the low recoil buck shot you loaded it with?

Then there is the financial factor as well. For a gun that is going to sit around a lot and be used a little, why do you want to spend $800 when a $300 shotgun will do all the same things?

But what do I know, I am still in the double barrel crowd with a Rossi Overland SxS.

I do think there are very reliable semi's available but believe most people still feel the pump is more reliable. The failures with most pumps come when people short stroke them if they don't practice enough. So with a pump you are introducing more potential operator error on a more mechanically reliabile firearm. So in theory maybe you end up with the same reliablity out of both in the long run, who knows.

A while back I did listen to two good Podcasts from Proarms Podcasts on the subject of the shotgun in the home defense roll. The link is below. Be sure to listen to 17A first, then 17B. It's about 9 mins or so into it before they really get into the discussion of pump vs. semi's. IRRC they ended up recommending the average homeowner to go with a semi, and potentially even a 20 gauge because more people in the household might end up having to use it other than the "Alpha male" which is the one that would probably purchase a 12 gauge pump.

I did have to end up putting a adjustable buttstock on my 870 so my wife could more easily reach the forestock to operate the action.

Shotguns « The ProArms Podcast

Guest chrisdridley

I love semi auto shotguns from my Remington 1100 all the way to my Weatherby's and Churchhill's. My weapon of choice for home defense? A Remington 887 pump....I have one in the house and one under the rear seat of my truck. They are coated in ArmorLock so they are tough as nails, they will handle a mix of rounds from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 mags mixed together and they won't miss a beat when cycled and they come with a mounting rail out of the box. Another selling point for me, they are fairly inexpensive. I keep mine loaded with a mixture of Centurion multi defense rounds and Winchester slugs.

Supa:______________

Remington 1100 if ya can find one. All the 870 goodies will fit them. They are an excellent shotgun, but must be in top top shape to work (...make sure the gas system parts [o rings, piston] are good --- the good news is that parts are cheap, check Brownells...). Shoot it with the load ya intend to use to make sure it will work (...it most likely will...).

Havin said that, i like the auto 5's or one of their brothers (...remington model 11, etc....). The Franchi AL 48's (...i think...) fit in this crowd too; they are a great recoil operated shotgun, and are lightweight (...alloy reciever...). We also have the much villified browning a500r, hated by the auto 5 crowd, and deemed not "browning" enough. It works like a charm. I've mixed target loads and high brass buck loads in it. It shoots 'em all, no problem. T

he problem with a semi is capacity. Ya cant put too long an extended mag on 'em due to the barrel recoiling on some of them. Maybee a plus one or plus two. By the way, i think all the new "magic" semi-auto defense type shotguns are overpriced; but i'm a cheapskate. You can buy the shotguns i mentioned in the $500 range. Ya cant get the "magic" shotguns for anywhere near that.

Here's some interestin readin on shotgun types (....recoil vs gas....): Autoloading Shotgun Actions: Gas versus Recoil

leroy

I would just get a good semi-automatic hunting shotgun and not worry about whether it looks "tactical". As a matter of fact I don't want my shotgun to look tactical at all. An overzealous district attorney could misrepresent that to a jury. It has happen before.

I do agree with you on semi-autos. You need two functional hands to operate a pump quickly, if you are injured or wounded in one arm, you can still use a semi. The Remingtom 1100 is a fine shotgun.

For defense, go with pump. Easier to operate, maintain, clear jams (which should never really occur), handle light loads, etc. I use a Benelli Nova Tactical with 7 round tube, but the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are good options as well. All 3 are inexpensive, used by military and law enforcement, and are considered by many to be the standard for home defense/tactical pump action shotguns.

You really don't need semi-auto but if you really insist, there are options like the Beretta AL391, 3901, Benelli M2, M4, Super Vinci II, and Remington 1100 that are all pretty good. The Beretta and Remington are both gas operated as opposed to inertia/recoil so they are the smoothest and lowest recoil of the bunch. But maintenance is much more involved since you have to disassemble the whole shotgun and piston system and it does get pretty dirty (at least it does when I'm out trap shooting). Also be aware that capacity is lower as well.

Saiga12. Every one that I've had or used has been extremely reliable (and malfunction clearance drills are the same as an AK if need be...it is manmade).

I just sold an 1100 here on TGO that was 100% with everything I put through it. I have heard (and seen) some of the newer 1100s can be finicky with light loads, but they all ran fine with moderate to heavy shells.

I only sold mine because I'm so familiar (and comfortable) with the AK platform that I'm sticking with the Saiga12 as my "go to" SD shotgun.

EDIT: Lol, Hersh knows...heck, I bought one of his.

I would say that his advice would go for any semi-auto firearm used for SD.

Edited by TN-popo

I would just chime in that while dedicated "tactical" shotguns are great (I have a Benellie super nova tactical) almost any shotgun that you have can be used as a good defensive shotgun and don't cost that much if you have to go buy one.

For me, my primary defensive weapon is a FN Scar light that I have set up specifically for home defense but as noted above I still have a good reliable pump 12ga in my bedroom!

Guest The Dude

i like pumps myself, but a good semi is a great choice. i like the saiga 12 as well. tube fed shotties are great but slower to reload. not important for home defense though.

and for the looks of a shotgun, if one is on trial in front of a jury, then the shooting being justified is in question to begin with. luckily we have a castle doctrine and a stand your ground law in this state. i wouldnt worry about being judged by twelve, as long as the perp is being carried by six.

Pumps are cheaper normally. Some people just aren't interested in investing a bunch of money in something they may not use much. I have a nice pump I picked up new for less than $200. It shoots every time and is just as comfortable to fire as most all other pumps.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input so far.

As far as the looks of the weapon, I'm not too worried about that. Dead men tell no tales, so there will only be my side of the story. And if they are in my house, I'd say that's a pretty clear cut case.

Also, I'm not as concerned with cost as much as quality. *Within reason* I'm not going to spend $2,000 on a shotgun, but I DO want whatever I get to WORK.

I have the FNH SLP, 8+1 semi-auto. It has had some jams with cheap birdshot ammo from walmart, but I don't think my 00 buck shot has ever jammed in it. Still I keep my glock close by which doesn't malfunction ever (yet).

I shoot clays a bit at my farm so the shot gun was a good purchase and I didn't really intend it for home defense. It is a very well built weapon and the recoil seems pretty reduced compared to a Rem 870. The FNH SLP is also about $500 cheaper than the Benelli M4 (which is also a Gas operated semi-auto).

Edit: another reason I went with the SLP over the M4 (other than cost) is that the SLP has the 8+1 capacity out of the box, whereas you had to add aftermarket parts to the M4 to get it up to that cap. (I believe its an import issue).

I would just get a good semi-automatic hunting shotgun and not worry about whether it looks "tactical". As a matter of fact I don't want my shotgun to look tactical at all. An overzealous district attorney could misrepresent that to a jury. It has happen before.

I do agree with you on semi-autos. You need two functional hands to operate a pump quickly, if you are injured or wounded in one arm, you can still use a semi. The Remingtom 1100 is a fine shotgun.

^^^YEP^^^ Also keep in mind if you ever have to use a weapon for self fefense in the home, they will take it as evidence. There's no guarentee if or when you'll get it back, and in what shape. I rather they have my $300.00 870 express than my Browning A-5.

Guest twpayne75

I prefer an automatic shotgun. I have two. I will not have a pump until the Keltec KSG is readily available.

I have a Benelli M4 which has always been flawless. I also picked up a Stoeger M2000 Tactical which has also never missed a beat. Bought the M2000 for about $400 and paid almost another $100 for the tube extension. The M2000 is almost a Benelli replica. But then again Stoeger is owned by Benelli. They use the same operating system and feel very similar. But the parts are not interchangable.

The M2000 with tube extension:

img0621.jpg

Edited by twpayne75
For a gun that is going to sit around a lot and be used a little, why do you want to spend $800 when a $300 shotgun will do all the same things?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIIIIIISSSSSSSS......:D

However, one does need to train and practice with their HD weapon just as they do their carry weapon.

Edited by DaddyO

You don't want to be doing a Mag dump with a Shotgun anyway...

Unless you are shooting 3 Gun, get a no frills pump with a Flashlight,

I have a 20" Mossberg 500 holds 7+1

Cheap. goes Bang. Hits were I aim it.

There is a slick 590 for sale on this forum right now,