AK underfolder sighting problems

I have a wasr10 underfolder and with my old eyes and bifocals I have trouble focusing on the front sight. I have decided this is because the wide stock keeps me from getting my bifocals lined up to where I can focus on the front sight. Does this make any sense? If I fold the stock out of the way I can focus just fine.

Can this rifle be converted to a wood or collapsible type stock without a lot of work? I think this might give me enough room to get my head over like I need it to be to see the sight since I do not have this problem with any other rifle.

Another solution may be a red dot but what is the best way to mount it. I see a lot of mounts out there but the only one that looks solid enough is the side of receiver mount but mine does not have the rail to put the mount on. Anyone use any of the other mounts and would recommend them? Are there any other solutions I have not thought about?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can convert to fixed stock but I wouldn't. I would get an Ultimak gas tube replacement rail. These are the best(and only) way to mount a red dot on a underfolder. You could also try a set of XS Big Dots for the AK they are extremely fast and great for "older" eyes.

http://www.ultimak.com/default.htm

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=40&products_id=3085

Guest mikedwood

As for the mount I think you are right the "side of receiver mount" is pretty stout. I got a top plate mount and decided that was a stupid thing to do before it was ever delivered. I was right, it is not steady at all. I don't feel like the hand guard rail system would hold up for long either. The side mount is like a block of steel bolted to a block of steel.

The stocks are pretty easy to change out. A couple of screws and pulling harder than you feel you should on removal, on adding a bit of Dremel, sanding or whittling isn't unusual. If you change out stock and want to sell the underfolder one you have let me know, I'd be interested.

You can convert to fixed stock but I wouldn't. I would get an Ultimak gas tube replacement rail. These are the best(and only) way to mount a red dot on a underfolder. You could also try a set of XS Big Dots for the AK they are extremely fast and great for "older" eyes.

http://www.ultimak.com/default.htm

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=40&products_id=3085

I'd rather get them from XS, than buy anything from Yeager. http://www.xssights.com/store/specialty.html

The side receiver mount does not work with the underfolder style AK.If you try and convert your gun to a fixed stock you will be left with two big holes on each side of the receiver. Instead of doing that why not just sell it and buy what you want. How much you want for it?

Nate....the link you posted are for the XS 24/7 express sights. They are not the XS Big Dots. Tactical Response does have some handy stuff available regardless of your opinions about Yeager.

Edited by Urse
Guest mikedwood
The side receiver mount does not work with the underfolder style AK.If you try and convert your gun to a fixed stock you will be left with two big holes on each side of the receiver. Instead of doing that why not just sell it and buy what you want. How much you want for it?

Nate....the link you posted are for the XS 24/7 express sights. They are not the XS Big Dots. Tactical Response does have some handy stuff available regardless of your opinions about Yeager.

Humm, if the side mount won't work you'd be in hard shape for a good sight platform.

Yep sell it and get what you want. That's what I did with mine and I'm happy as a clam. Good advice and probably won't cost you much if any more.

Yes, but in the catalog from XS, they are listed and if you call you can get the Big Dots for the same price.