Looking for a mid-size 9mm

JWKilgore

If that doesn't work, I may try her on a different caliber, maybe a .380.

The .380 has more felt recoil than the 9mm, making accuracy more difficult, plus the ammo is harder to find and is more expensive. My suggestion would be either a M&P9c or a Bersa UC9 Pro. Both are about the same size and weight. The M&P has interchangeable backstraps for a more custom fit.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said the recoil between a PPS and a 19 wasewre about the same and they are no where near the same. That thin grip much like a kahr makes it terrible

I was talking about actual gun jerk to pull the shooter off target, not comfort. I agree the thin grip is more painful, but the glocks jump badly. Glocks are among the few large 9mm guns that push me off target between shots.

In the same sized gun, like the large metal beretta 380, the 380 has far, far less recoil than a 9mm. Or shoot a 380 in your 9mm to test that theory... the round does not have more recoil inherently than a 9mm. Put it into a micro platform, and it can be pretty stout -- I have shot a micro 25 that made my hand hurt, for that matter.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Lester Weevils
Someone said the recoil between a PPS and a 19 wasewre about the same and they are no where near the same. That thin grip much like a kahr makes it terrible

On the Kahrs with a mostly full length grip, 3.6" barrel and bigger, I don't think the thin grip makes recoil worse. The Kahr thin grip is very easy and comfortable to grab onto and whatever in the design makes recoil quite mild in the mid-size Kahrs. The biggest Kahrs only have 4" barrels, so I'd be inclined to consider even the biggest Kahrs "mid size", about the same as a G19? I just don't like the Kahr trigger for fun range time, though it isn't a bad self-defense trigger.

My "painful" pistols so far have been a tiny NAA .380 Guardian, and a S&W J-frame .357 snubbie. Even the stainless steel .357 mag snubbie revolvers hurt bad after I got to a certain age, even with relatively tame ammo. A Kahr P9 ain't even in the same ballpark of recoil to a .357 snubbie.

My Taurus all-steel fullsize 9mm 1911 has more muzzle flip and felt recoil than my Kahr P9.

Though I haven't yet had a 9mm pistol which had unpleasant recoil. Some tiny pocket 9's probably do.

Edited by Lester Weevils

She's going to definitely pick her own; I was just looking for ideas to start her out. Looks like most suggestions are for the Glock 19 or SA XD9, but I'll also look at the S&W M&P9. Now I've got to find used one I can borrow/rent so she can put some rounds through it.

Back to the requirements. She didn't actually complain about the kick of the PPS, she just couldn't shoot it straight. Subconsciously she was pre-compensating for the kick which threw her aim way off. She shot the Ruger P98 much better, but it's a brick of a gun, and the fact that my brother probably hasn't cleaned it since he bought it didn't help the action much. So I'm thinking a gun with a slightly longer grip for better leverage (eliminates the G26), a slightly fatter grip to spread the impact out a little, but still a light-weight polymer frame is exactly what she needs. She won't be carrying this on her person; it'll be a range and car gun (it's legal to car-carry in Mississippi). And I'll get my PPS back, hopefully about the time my new Supertuck arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions/reassurance that I was on the right track! :)

Guest Coolboarder8913

My vote is for XD 9.....My wife is going to get her carry next month and after months of searching and trying she got the XD9.....we went and shot yesterday and she loved it... Nice groups and accurate...

The momentum of recoil is almost the same for all 9mm firearms (Newton law)

Almost every person can handle 9mm recoil. It is insufficient confidence that prevents from accurate aiming. The best way to develop the confidence is target practice with weak rounds. Make couple hundreds reloads with 95gr bullets. Use the load data below .380 (from Hornady book). Such round will not recycle 9mm action (unless you put a weak return spring). It is perfectly fine for practice. When the gun feels completely familiar it's time to increase the load.

I would suggest the Sig P239. It's a single-stack 9mm that is larger than a PPS and a bit heavier than a PPS, but still slimmer in profile than a Glock, XD, M&P, or PX4. Although it isn't a polymer frame, it is an aluminum alloy frame so it is still lightweight.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I like Glocks, simple and easy to change trigger pull plus the magazine interchangeability. My wife doesnt like them though, not because she doesnt shoot them well, she is always nervous handling them. Recently picked up an XD9 and she loves that thing. Having a cocking indicator, loaded chamber indicator and grip safety she feels much more comfortable handling it and I think that translates to her shooting it very well also.

As stated before let her shoot them, my wife's favorite gun is an airweight J-frame and she has tried everything from 1911s to LCPs, I have no idea why but she actually enjoys shooting it.

Guest boatme99

Take a look at the Sig P 239. A very good pistol, very comforatable to shoot, very easy to clean amd maintain, and a great concealed carry. I've taught a few women to shoot with one and every one has liked it.

Guest Lester Weevils

That P239 looks interesting for a combo of carry and fun range time.

About the same size as a Kahr P9 but with a more-fun DA/SA trigger. Same barrel length, about 0.5" taller, 0.8" longer than a P9, at near double the weight.

Sig lists overall width at 1.2" which is relatively slim. If the overall width includes the mag release width, is the grip slimmer than that? Has anyone measured the grip width of their P239?

Bet it shoots nice.

Sig P250.

I have one in subcompact (12 rounds) but, they have interchangeable grips/slides/etc in different sizes too.

You can check them out on Sigs site.

Mine is super accurate, reliable enough (no issues ever) to be my carry gun

Sig P250.

I have one in subcompact (12 rounds) but, they have interchangeable grips/slides/etc in different sizes too.

You can check them out on Sigs site.

Mine is super accurate, reliable enough (no issues ever) to be my carry gun

P250 is a decent gun if you (or her) can get used to the trigger, its smooth and fairly light but its long. Also for its size its fairly heavy. But the subcompact has a good grip size for women and the controls are very simple, plus take down and detail strip is super-easy unlike the DA/SA Sigs. Not to mention you can find the 9mm subcompacts w/o night sights for 350 or so new and thats a bargain for a new Sig. I liked the compact size better myself, so I bought a compact large grip size frame for 43.00 and cut down the dust cover to use with the subcompact slide. Took one minute to swap to the subcompact frame if I wanted to carry it, its a very cool concept for sure..

I to would suggest the Beretta Px4 compact, very soft shooting and very accurate, sounds like if she is that accurate with the .22 she might be a little scared of the 9 mm, the Beretta with the rotating barrel is VERY smooth shooting.

The 239 is about the size of a Glock 36 as far as I can recall. I don't think the grip is as deep nor is the entire gun near as long. I would think the 239 is very similar in size to the CW Kahrs.

Edited by Patton
Guest ryanlaura02

My wife loves her Ruger Lc9 and says it is very fun and comfortable to shoot as well goes in an ankle,purse,iwb holster very well. I really like it too I have a Keltec Pf9 I love it more it is lighter but kicks harder than her lc9 but does not bother me.

The PPS is a great gun but probably not for the novice due to the problems you describe. Try to rent several mid size guns in 9mm such as the XDM, XD, M&P, Glock 19 that have a better grip. I find the grip size is critical for recoil control. My wife picked out the Sig P238 and she loves it!

hmm. I will go a little different tact, lower cost alternatives.

Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol This is the predecessor model to the Beretta PX4 Storm. It is made under license by Stoeger. The rotating barrel is supposed to lower felt recoil. Reliable firearm, as many police departments used it as a side arm. Last I checked it was a mere $399 with four magazines at Academy Sporting Goods.

Bersa - most only know about the .380 pistol that looks, but is not, similar to the Walther PPk. However, the 9mm version of the Bersa is used by the Argentine military, and other military and police groups in South America.

High Capacity model for car/home: Thunder Pro Series

Or the Compact for conceal carry: Thunder UC Pro Series

If you pay more than $450, you are paying too much. Both models come with 2 magazines.

I carry the .45 compact. Shot the 9mm compact. VERY comfortable, and recoil is well handled. Note: Finish is not great, but the firearm is extremely easy to use, shoot, ambidextrous, and exceptionally easy to break down to clean.

NOTE: The Beretta PX4 Storm has a rotating barrel. The Compact version of the PX4 Storm seems to have the rotating barrel: http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-compact/

While the Sub-Compact PX4 Storm seems to NOT have the rotating barrel: http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-type-f-sub-compact/

Edited by HvyMtl