Turn In Your Neighbor for Illegal Gun

That's a needless swipe at Chris Christie. Chris Christie has exactly zero to do with any initiatives that the mayor of Newark puts forth. Ever been to Newark or any part of North Jersey? I'm worried very little about anything that happens there because unless I'm watching "Bait Car" for entertainment or laying over at Liberty, it's not a place I care about. Here are some 2009 comments from Chris Christie on how he feels about gun control in New Jersey...

Five Things Conservative Voters Would Hate About Chris Christie -- Daily Intel

"Listen, we have a densely-populated state, and there's a big handgun problem in New Jersey. Now, I don't support all the things that the governor supports by a long stretch. But I think on guns — certain gun control issues, looking at it from a law-enforcement perspective, seeing how many police officers were killed, we have an illegal gun problem in New Jersey."

If anything, Chris Christie has brought a dramatically pro-gun shift to an incredibly gun-restrictive state. I give him a ton of credit for commuting Brian Aitken's sentence in late 2010. NRA-ILA :: N.J. Governor Chris Christie Commutes Gun Owner If Corzine was still in office, this kid would be in prison still.

Look at some of what you just wrote. NJ's "illegal" gun problem wouldn't exist except for it's Draconian gun laws. Those "illegal guns" wouldn't be in most all the other states, including here.

And if Christie wanted to really do well for Aitken, he would have pardoned him or pushed for overturn of sentence, not just commuted sentence. He remains a convicted felon. And above all, remember that his "crime" wouldn't even have been one in the rest of US states (possible exception of IL).

I'll say it again, Christie has said that New Jersey's gun laws are "about right". Read up on them. If you think they are "about right", you need to support the Brady Bunch too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if Christie wanted to really do well for Aitken, he would have pardoned him or pushed for overturn of sentence, not just commuted sentence. He remains a convicted felon. And above all, remember that his "crime" wouldn't even have been one in the rest of US states (possible exception of IL).

It wouldn’t have been a crime in Illinois either. Illinois and Tennessee gun laws for the average citizen are about the same. Illinois doesn’t sell the privilege yet, but they are working on it.

You know, at $1,000 per "tip", the brilliant folks in NJ could probably just announce a buyback program and pay folks what their stuff is worth.

But wait, it's not about getting guns off the street, it's about reporting in on what your neighbor is up to...

Look at some of what you just wrote. NJ's "illegal" gun problem wouldn't exist except for it's Draconian gun laws. Those "illegal guns" wouldn't be in most all the other states, including here.

You misunderstand the "illegal gun" statement because you're assuming we're talking about bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, folding stocks, and high capacity magazines. That's not it at all. New Jersey DOES have an illegal gun problem. More accurately, the parties possessing/using them are illegal due to laws, but we're talking about all kinds of laws being broken, both State and Federal. In other words, there are a ton of people in places like Newark, Camden, etc. that you and I and every other law-abiding gun owner would agree should not have a gun. The perception in NJ politics is that the feds aren't doing enough to prevent guns from getting into prohibited persons' hands, so they need to step in.

On a related note, if NJ and NYC politicians were to visit TGO and see a 10+ page thread about how everyone on here wants to sell/buy guns in TN via private party "parking lot" sales and not do so much as to even flash an ID or get a name, well, you can only imagine that would fuel the fire about how easy it is for prohibited people to buy a gun.

With respect to Aiken, your knowledge of the criminal justice system, appeals, and overall strategy for change are lacking. On his own Facebook page, Aiken says his sentence has been commuted, which means that he still has this conviction, but his conviction is being appealed. If New Jersey's appellate courts overturn the conviction, the judge who sentenced Aiken will get pimp-slapped AND all of New Jersey will have slightly more sane gun laws. A pardon doesn't help to correct the underlying flaws of a bad judge and a bad law. Of course, if his conviction is upheld, Christie can pardon him. Most importantly Aiken ASKED to have his sentence commuted, not pardoned. If you can't read between the lines on that one...

I'll say it again, Christie has said that New Jersey's gun laws are "about right". Read up on them. If you think they are "about right", you need to support the Brady Bunch too.

No problem, I'll say it again; In no way am I defending NJ's gun laws. Christie recognizes that sweeping change to gun laws is not something that's going to take place in his first term in office in a state that is firmly anti-gun, and I'm not just talking about the politicians. Southerners are quick to say "don't bring your Northern, big city politics here..." Same applies in reverse. If you think Christie is failing and an enemy of gun owners because he isn't openly proposing pro-gun measures in New Jersey, you're missing perspective.

The UN treaty on small arms would overide our Constitution. The Obamanation could even say "I don't want to ban guns but this international treaty ties my hands". Don't you think a lot of countries would be glad to send some troops to enforce the UN rules in the US?

Glenn

I suggest you read the Constitution, treaty does NOT trump the Bill of Rights.

I suggest you read the Constitution, treaty does NOT trump the Bill of Rights.

HvyMtl,

I guess I have to eat a little crow on this one. I have read several peoples writings that stated that treaties could override the Constitution and just took it as the truth. You inspired me to do some research and you are absolutely correct. A treaty can not override the Constitution. Thanks for straightening me out. You probably saved me from embarrassing myself even worse.

The constitution can not be overriden by a treaty, law, or executive order. Now we just need to force the President and Congress to understand and abide by this fact.

Glenn

HvyMtl,

I guess I have to eat a little crow on this one. I have read several peoples writings that stated that treaties could override the Constitution and just took it as the truth. You inspired me to do some research and you are absolutely correct. A treaty can not override the Constitution. Thanks for straightening me out. You probably saved me from embarrassing myself even worse.

The constitution can not be overriden by a treaty, law, or executive order. Now we just need to force the President and Congress to understand and abide by this fact.

Glenn

I commend you Glenn, I think you're the first person in the history if this forum to admit you were wrong. Others just keep forcing the issue to futility, just to save face.

Sent from my Mom's basement