Focusing on Front Sight when using Night Sights

sschrick

So, I have both an XD9 and EMP 9.

When shooting the XD, I have no problems focusing on the front sight only, since the rear sight gap is 3.8mm. Still using factory stock sights for daylight shooting.

When shooting in daylight conditions with the EMP, I can still focus on the front sight, but it is a little more difficult, since the rear sight gap is 3.2mm and shorter barrel.

but, in dark conditions using the Trijicon night sites that were factory installed on the EMP, I have a hell of a time focusing only on the front sight.

any suggestions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s trite but true, you must train and practice enough that you really don’t think about how you’re using your sights. Then as your running speed or shoot on the move drills everything is instinctive line up, center and shoot. Here’s where you’ll get your best groups and shot placement and have begun to develop a solid foundation in defensive pistol shooting. I’ve spent thousands of dollars in training, equipment and ammunition as well as a significant amount of time in order to simply acquire competency.

Now, as to a more specific application of night sights in low light to dark conditions: center the front dot between the two rear dots. Transfer focus to the front keeping the front ball centered, your flashlight or gun light will provide the illumination for finer adjustments. If you practice some with night sights only you’ll easily do center mass shoots in the 15-30 foot range. Using a flashlight will make 15-20 yard shots achievable.